The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Raymond holding out for Vancouver?

zombieksa

I honestly wouldn't mind havving Raymond back for 2-2.3 million. He's a solid player....

Will easily pot 30-40 pts on the thirdline. He's also relatively low maintenance, and seems well liked by the team.

David Clarkson, who had 2 more points than Raymond last year, is getting 5.25 million per!

Please... no more... its just not worth the 10-20 goals hes going to chip in when you also have the 60+ games where he is completely invisible because he isn't willing to do what makes him an effective player. Its not what he contributes, his contribution is just fine. Its the being disappointed with his play year after year. It drives me crazy, and I could use a break from him.

I think if Gillis offered him 1.5mil and tells him to get off his rear end and earn his paycheck, its worth it to re sign Mason.

Its true he has to keep his energy in the game far more than he does . He needs to stop wimping out and cut to the center. When he does that hes highly effective.

Maybe Gillis should offer him 1M/1Year with the provision he shows he is worth more money.

I appreciate the fact he suffered a severe injury but if he wants to make himself a professional hockey player, he needs to get his head straight about his injury, put his nose to the grindstone and prove he can be a Vancouver Canuck even if it is at a lower salary. I'd rather have Raymond than Weise or Tostido or whatever the hell his name is.

GMs will want more proof than just one good year to get equal or better money. Mason needs to take that into consideration. He will not make better money than he has made in the NHL.

I'd like to see Raymond signed just for depth purposes. Right now we're hoping that Kas and Booth will be able to be in our top six. It'd be nice to have the security of somebody who can play in the top six and isn't a rookie, or am I forgetting somebody...? I guess the rookies are mostly fine... And I would like to see Jensen playing in the top six at some point perhaps... But still. Maybe 1.5-2 for the next year? The guy puts up some solid points, has good hands and some mad decent speed, and is fairly good as a two way forward. He had that one season of 50 points and his numbers this season indicate he could be there again. If we can get him for cheap enough it's a good signing, imo.

Also if he can work on his skating strength/strength on the puck during the off season it could be really good for us. Is it ok to compare him to how the Sedin's were when they were younger? Because it seemed like they got bumped off the puck a lot and look how strong they are with it now. I know Raymond isn't exactly young any more but he's really the type of player I'd like to see around. Even if he doesn't end up getting played in the playoffs.

I love Raymond. He was one of my favorite players to watch when he was on top of his game.. however, he never fit on that 2nd line. On paper it looked fantastic but he just couldn't make it happen. Not sure what it was (AV?).

I'd be willing to sign him to a 1.25-1.5m contract and give him till November/December to earn his spot under Torts. If he doesn't, trade him or put him on waivers. Of course we'll make this clear to him that that's the only way we can sign him. It's a bit ridiculous of circumstance, but we can't afford to have him waste a spot any longer. If I'm Raymond and that's my only offer, I take it. He may be motivated to stay consistent.

I also imagine his injury from 2011 is a major concern with other teams. He's still afraid to go into the corners which has messed up his game significantly. NHL requires 100% effort on 100% of the ice.

Archived