The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Could Kesler Be The Face Of Gay Rights In The Sochi Olympics?

NikiShiz

I was originally against the idea of boycotting the Olympics but after doing some research I am not firmly of the opinion that not making some stand would be ethically wrong.

This could be a rubicon for the LGBT community internationally.

This crap has to stop and our generation are the ones to do it if we have the courage.

You're right...I mean only a white guy can tell a black guy it's ok to be black...and only a man can tell a woman it's ok to be a woman....and apparently only a straight player can make it ok to be a gay player. :rolleyes:

If there are gay NHL hockey players then they should be proud and stand up for who they are, not hide behind a straight player. It wasn't white people that made MLK's dream reality, it was black people standing up for themselves and saying "we're not gonna take this anymore".

The Olympics IS a party....childbirth is NOT!

Don't wanna see protesters or gay-rights activists harassing expectant mothers either...yah - I know this happens...but that's my point. Historically the Olympic village is supposed to be an "activist-free" zone for 20 days. Before or after then....whatever. But please - suspend all of this "chirping" for 20 days....at LEAST. Laws of the land in an Olympic-host country...are the laws of the land. You don't like it... DON'T go to the Sochi Olympics. If you wanna go to the Sochi Olympic party...be prepared to be law-abiding.

This isn't mission impossible! NOT projecting all of your cultural, moral, philosophical & social leanings on everyone else... wherever you are...with a mega-phone & a banner...is unconscionable for some. How about just going somewhere & impressing 'em with your manners & benevolent character. Sexual practices won't be a concern to anybody - UNLESS you're fornicating in the middle of the street...& we have laws about that here in Canada too.

Russia said they'll arrest any LGBT athletes. That's effin' despicable. A horrid thing for a nation to implement for any reason.

I'm hoping for some extremely strong action against Sochi 2014, because letting this slide only empowers those in Russia that believe this to be a right law to enact. Shameful.

If I was an athlete competing, I'd be a lot more vocal about what's going on there, even if it cost me playing in Sochi. People, I think, would resepect any athelete that would do that.

Except that there haven't been any gay players who have stepped forward due to the stigma against it. It's things like this that reduce the anti-gay sentiment, and we should be proud to be a fan of the representative.

Russia said they'll arrest any LGBT athletes. That's effin' despicable. A horrid thing for a nation to implement for any reason.

I'm hoping for some extremely strong action against Sochi 2014, because letting this slide only empowers those in Russia that believe this to be a right law to enact. Shameful.

If I was an athlete competing, I'd be a lot more vocal about what's going on there, even if it cost me playing in Sochi. People, I think, would resepect any athelete that would do that.

I think jesse owens winning the gold in 1936 was one of the biggest FU's to hitlers stupid racism.

Hopefully Gay athletes kick ass here.

I just don't get it. I thought the world was getting more progressive on tolerance of sexuality.

Especially considering that there is not exactly a strong religious current running through Russia, I just don't get the angle.

I think jesse owens winning the gold in 1936 was one of the biggest FU's to hitlers stupid racism.

Hopefully Gay athletes kick ass here.

I just don't get it. I thought the world was getting more progressive on tolerance of sexuality.

Especially considering that there is not exactly a strong religious current running through Russia, I just don't get the angle.

Archived