The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Could Kesler Be The Face Of Gay Rights In The Sochi Olympics?

NikiShiz

i strongly, strongly disagree.

first, i'm sort of baffled as to why you hold bobsledding, luge, and figure skating in such high regard, but i sure as hell don't. in fact (and feel free to call me a cynic, here!) i think the fact that cities fork out millions upon millions of dollars for people to PRETEND to know what "skeleton" even is... is sort of stupid.

but second, the fact that russia has such openly backwards legislation in regards to human rights is MORE than enough justification to boycott or take this opportunity to use the Olympic stage as one to ACTUALLY celebrate human achievement (i.e. social progress). russia will use this opportunity to celebrate it's own cultural significance, and it will pretend that sochi has some sort of a cultural relevance, and if it even ATTEMPTS to acknowledge human achievement beyond bobsledding and hockey, it'll be a total farce. the country is morally twisted on a fundamental level, not an ethnocentric one

the fact that you reduce this to ethnocentricism--as if the idea that equal rights despite sexual preference/orientation is something exclusive to one nation's morality?--is kind of silly to me

almost as silly as the whole billion dollar olympic industry itself

russia doesn't have to parade a bunch of gay people around under their own flag, but if a nation were actually bold enough to take this opportunity to make a statement about RUSSIA's statements, then that would be brilliant. since when are sports isolated from culture? since when are athletes apolitical? since when SHOULD they be?

It's in the spirit of the covenant the in the oath they take.....to attend & participate in these games. I only wish all of the spectators & attendees had to do the sameting. Set aside hostilities for a time...to appreciate the glory of sport. You can't do that - FINE. Don't go. Don't participate. Don't watch.

The very nature of protest suggests...some conflict. Where do governments draw the line between stumping at a podium for a cause & acts of terrorism? I support the citizens of Sochi & the Russian govt. in their efforts to host this traditional global gathering & prepare to have the games & festivities that they have planned...be safe for everyone. Each of us - has a very different line drawn in the sand...as does the government of the Russian Republic. They will work on their own progression...but - perhaps by playing host to this rare Olympic party...it may change 'em in ways that would NOT otherwise be possible. Western nations eagerly boycotted Russia's last Olympic Games in Moscow....and the political fall-out was debateable...with those same western alliances mirroring similar behaviors to the Russian army - now.

Why NOT attempt to capture more flies with honey...than by being the "pouty" no-show....or screamin' insults till your "blue in the face". What methods do you want to see employed to bring about social change? The most successful advocates for social change like Martin Luther, Ghandi, Mandela, & Jesus Christ....were pacifists. It was their strength of character & committment to inclusive & more pacifist ways....that earned the respect of the masses, swayed public opinion & lead to more formal political change. Lighten-up!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23003013

The Russian authorities are investigating reports that an electrician working at a Sochi Winter Olympics site was tortured by police.

Martiros Demerchyan says he was detained and sexually assaulted with a crow-bar after he complained to his foreman that he had been underpaid.

His brother-in-law and fellow worker was also detained and beaten, but less seriously, Russian media report.

Russian police have frequently been accused of violence against detainees.

Two officers were jailed in the Republic of Tatarstan in September after a suspect was mortally wounded while being assaulted with a bottle.'Beaten all night'

A huge building project is under way in the Black Sea region for the Sochi Winter Olympics, which are set to be the country's most high-profile international sporting event since the Moscow Summer Games of 1980.

Mr Demerchyan and his brother-in-law worked on a residential bloc for Olympic volunteers between 25 March and 16 May.

Each man had been promised 90,000 roubles (£1,780; $2,750) for the work but was given only 37,000, Mr Demerchyan's wife told Russian media.

When they complained, they were first threatened, then called to a meeting with the foreman on 12 June, she said. However, they found police officers there instead, and were taken to a police station, she added.

In custody, they were allegedly told to confess in writing to stealing building materials from the construction site.

Mr Demerchyan's wife said that when he refused, he was beaten all night by five policemen, losing some of his teeth. At one stage, he was assaulted with the crow-bar, she alleged.

He finally signed a blank piece of paper.

Mr Demerchyan was allegedly offered no medical treatment by the police. But on his way to court, he fell ill and police called an ambulance, Russia's NEWSru website reports.

He was treated in hospital, but doctors told his family they had found no serious injuries on his body.

Mr Demerchyan's wife has filed complaints against the police - for assaulting her husband and for failing to provide medical help, the Sochi 24 news agency reports.

A lawyer for Mr Demerchyan said he had worked on similar allegations from others detained at the same police station in the past.

Russia's Investigative Committee - its equivalent of the US FBI - is expected to decide within a month whether to take action against the police officers involved.

If i was in the shoes of would be Olympians, I would take this opportunity to put mud in the eye of Russia by very vocally boycotting the games there due to their hate mongering. If enough people did the same, it might make a difference over there. gold silver and bronze can't hold a candle to the pride of doing the right thing. You might not be remembered for not showing up, but you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life.

It is a good thing that sports are not political because Russia has it`s share of challenges:

Martiros Demerchyan says he was detained and sexually assaulted with a crow-bar after he complained to his foreman that he had been underpaid.

His brother-in-law and fellow worker was also detained and beaten...

Russian police have frequently been accused of violence...

Russia is evolving...it's like America during the dirty-thirties...they will find their way. And - it's not like there aren't any crooked cops in Canada or the US....or anywhere else for that matter! The GOOD news...is that the alleged crimes are being investigated by the authorities & that this story has been globally reported. Change indeed!

Russia is evolving...it's like America during the dirty-thirties...they will find their way. And - it's not like there aren't any crooked cops in Canada ot the US....or anywhere. The good news here...is that the alleged crimes are being investigated by the authorities & that this story has been globally reported. Change indeed!

i strongly, strongly disagree.

first, i'm sort of baffled as to why you hold bobsledding, luge, and figure skating in such high regard, but i sure as hell don't. in fact (and feel free to call me a cynic, here!) i think the fact that cities fork out millions upon millions of dollars for people to PRETEND to know what "skeleton" even is... is sort of stupid.

but second, the fact that russia has such openly backwards legislation in regards to human rights is MORE than enough justification to boycott or take this opportunity to use the Olympic stage as one to ACTUALLY celebrate human achievement (i.e. social progress). russia will use this opportunity to celebrate it's own cultural significance, and it will pretend that sochi has some sort of a cultural relevance, and if it even ATTEMPTS to acknowledge human achievement beyond bobsledding and hockey, it'll be a total farce. the country is morally twisted on a fundamental level, not an ethnocentric one

the fact that you reduce this to ethnocentricism--as if the idea that equal rights despite sexual preference/orientation is something exclusive to one nation's morality?--is kind of silly to me

almost as silly as the whole billion dollar olympic industry itself

russia doesn't have to parade a bunch of gay people around under their own flag, but if a nation were actually bold enough to take this opportunity to make a statement about RUSSIA's statements, then that would be brilliant. since when are sports isolated from culture? since when are athletes apolitical? since when SHOULD they be?

I think jesse owens winning the gold in 1936 was one of the biggest FU's to hitlers stupid racism.

Hopefully Gay athletes kick ass here.

I just don't get it. I thought the world was getting more progressive on tolerance of sexuality.

Especially considering that there is not exactly a strong religious current running through Russia, I just don't get the angle.

It is not illegal to be gay in Russia. The ban is on gay "activism" (circulating gay propaganda to MINORS...for a Russian citizem the fine would be 5000 rubles or $156 US) or organizing pro-gay rallies in public places to influence MINORS. It's similar to the "don't ask - don't tell" measures homo-sexuals were encouraged to follow while serving in the U.S. military. Russian Society is evolving...but there are Orthodox & Muslim factions bristling at the sudden openess of Russian Society. This is the Russian govt.'s solution...to keeping the peace among its' creeds & its' citizens safe. It may NOT be your solution...but it's theirs. As with "don't ask - dont' tell"...in time things will change again.

Just hold your horses - people! As a guest...if you waltzed into my home demanding that I change my habits & the furniture in my livingroom, kitchen, bathroom & bedrooms all to suit you...overnight....I'd be laying down some conditions - or politely asking you to bud out too. Russia is NOT North Korea - give 'em that much! You go to their house...respect the patriarch in charge & his rules. It was the same way in my father's house.

Just be grateful & compliant guests in Sochi. 'Nuff said.

Archived