The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Could Kesler Be The Face Of Gay Rights In The Sochi Olympics?

NikiShiz

As you can see from the graphic there, they are pretty much the only country outside of the Middle East and Africa to lean so far away. A decade ago they were much closer to a 50/50 split, and I'd hazard a guess that countries like Canada would have been closer to that as well. They are headed in the wrong direction, and it's actually fairly astonishing how fast they are moving.

If i was in the shoes of would be Olympians, I would take this opportunity to put mud in the eye of Russia by very vocally boycotting the games there due to their hate mongering. If enough people did the same, it might make a difference over there. gold silver and bronze can't hold a candle to the pride of doing the right thing. You might not be remembered for not showing up, but you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life.

Actually..the more I read about the "anti-ACTIVISM" law the more I think I understand the concerns of the Russiam community. It`s NOT directed at consensual-activity between gay adults. It is directed at sharing literature with MINORS....pro-gay rallies that would influence or solicit MINORS. Fear has risen out of concerns to prevent pedophilia & the sexual exploitation of minors by adults. Parents still prefer to counsel with their children on these matters. Churchs & mosques want to curb sexual activity until marriage. The Soviet govt. is doing some mimimalist things to appease these groups to keep their coalition of peoples & creeds together in troubled & corrupt times.

Gays are not going to be arrested for being gay. For circulating published materials to minors on the streets or stumping for a public pro-gay rally - maybe. It has only been a brief while since these kinds of activities were even tolerated in the US. Give them a break! They`re global citizens more so than other isolated countries...they will work this out....or more even separation will come.

But even in that situation gays aren't really free to be gay either. They can't speak their mind about being gay, and prejudice towards gays because they can't bring awareness to it prevents them from being publicly gay. So, they have to stay 'in the closet' and they can't fight for gay rights and equality like any other group would be legally allowed to do.

Just because they aren't arresting people for having gay/lesbian sex doesn't mean they aren't being persecuted.

You're original point doesn't suggest that at all. It suggests that Kesler (and other straight players involved in supporting you can play) should not bother doing anything and only a gay player should bring light to the issue. Waiting for change, regardless of your personal attachment to the cause, is just apathy and small change is better than no change at all.

At some point, gay players have to feel comfortable enough to come forward, and that's not going to happen without actual support from straight players. Until the climate is tolerable enough for gays to feel safe being publicly gay, whether it be in sport or regular life, there won't be widespread change.

I have no problem with this being a topic of discussion at the Olympics in a country with bias against it, so long as it's not an obvious intrusion on the games themselves.

Archived