The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ Value Of ] Alex Edler

I've seen to many topics come and go about trading Edler. I for one want to keep him I think he will flourish under Torts, so why not give him the shot? According to many CDC members it's time for him to go.

So lets say the Canucks do end up dealing this defense man ( not saying it should happen ) what would the value that we get back in return possibly be. To many people here are under valuing Edler and I want to get the rest of your guys oppinions on what should Edler be established as in a trade.

Oh and just keep this in mind ..... B)

( Credit to our fellow CDC member CanucksHD for this awesome Vid )

Hasn't this been beaten to death in the dozens of Edler trade proposals over the last 2 months? There are two camps.

The "Edler is 50 point all-star worth a huge return"

The "Edler is overated and on a downward spiral and not worth much"

Bottom line, his NTC has kicked in so we likely wont learn the answer either way

Hasn't this been beaten to death in the dozens of Edler trade proposals over the last 2 months? There are two camps.

The "Edler is 50 point all-star worth a huge return"

The "Edler is overated and on a downward spiral and not worth much"

Bottom line, his NTC has kicked in so we likely wont learn the answer either way

His value based on our organizational needs would be

-a Blue Chip prospect

-a serviceable d-man/forward

-and 1st rd pick (or 2nd)

so examples with teams that could use Edler would be

Anaheim: Etem, Sbisa, 1st rd pick

Colorado: Tyson Barrie, 1st rd pick, and McGinn

Dallas: Ritchie, Oleksiak,2nd rd pick

Tampa: Koekkoek, Purcell

Maybe the picks need to be reduced or taken away but I could see a similar return, otherwise Gillis won't pull the trigger

Don't know why we would trade him after he made a few mistakes in the season and he hasn't even hit his prime really yet. If we were going to it would have to be an A Prospect + 1st/2nd Pick or a Jakub Voracek type player who is still young but good and getting better + 1st/2nd.

Our team, IMO, is missing 3 things.

An agile, high speed, puck moving defender with great puck skills. A puck RUSHING D.

A mean bastard, ornery snort, crease clearing depth D.

A top 6 capable, 30 goal scoring PF RW.

Now, I am aware of the 3C debate. But we have invested 4 1st round picks the last 5 years, plus a second last year, in center's. Someone has to step to the table, and any assets we expend fill the 3 holes. I also hear peoples arguments that Edler is a 50 point guy; therefore he is a puck mover. In my opinion he i a great defender, while he has NHL calibre speed to the point he is effective, he is certainly not fast enough, or good enough with the puck, to puch the puck up ice against pressure or through the neutral zone to enter offensive territory on the PP with the puck on his stick. He is a passer, not puck carrier. Thats fine, but we need this on our team!

I would trade Edler for a blue chip puck rushing D prospect (who ultimately will replace his offence) and a Top 6 RW. I think thats fair for a 217 lb 50 point D on a good contract? Its a valuable asset. I feel we can spare him if we get enough return, because we have 3 other two way D who are very capable of getting at least 35 or 40 points. Some (not all) of his skills are redundant to us but many could use him. We have a lot of cap expense while still having holes in our D. If not, he is worth keeping!

Archived