The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus Exec: Canada Should Have World's Highest Wireless Rates, But Doesn't. We Should Be Celebrating.

TOMapleLaughs

Bell, Rogers and Telus gang up against Verizon entry into Canada

By Kenneth Chan | 17 hours ago | Speak Up

Canadian Telecom giants want you to keep paying them some of the highest rates in the world for your wireless telecom needs. Bell, Rogers and Telus have set aside their differences and are campaigning together to restrict American telecom giant from entering the Canadian marketplace.

Together, the Bell, Rogers and Telus oligopoly control 94 per cent of Canada’s wireless market. This has stifled competition and innovation in the marketplace at great cost to the everyday Canadian consumers.

In mid-May, the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) confirmed that Canadians pay some of the highest prices for some of the worst telecom services in the industrialized world.

The OECD’s 2013 Communications Outlook findings are rather depressing with the Canadian marketplace landing high in the top ten most expensive countries categories with only the U.S. being nearly as worst. Canadian telecom revenue is also the third highest in the G8 and the fourth highest among all of the OECD member countries.

This is compounded by the findings of another recent report by J.D. Power & Associates: Canadians paid 13 per cent more for their wireless telecom services, although Canada’s inflation rate has been holding steady at just one per cent annually. The same survey also found that customer satisfaction was the highest with standalone brands Koodo Mobile and Virgin Mobile even though they are owned by telecom giants Telus and Bell.

It is no secret that better service and fairer prices for the Canadian consumer lies largely with allowing and stimulating competition in the telecom market. However, the “big 3″ telecom companies are campaigning to the federal government and the general public to restrict Verizon from becoming the fourth major player in the marketplace.

Their ‘Fair For Canada’ campaign oddly claims that more competition will lead to more expensive prices and, as a fear tactic, massive job layoffs in their companies. In reality as seen in other industries, more competition is much more likely to increase innovation, which will increase sales and the need for the company to increase its employment over the long-term.

The campaign also states that “sweetheart deals for U.S. giants are a bad call for you.” Sweetheart deals for a telecom company – as if there’s nothing hypocritical about that when the federal government has for far too long gone with the oligopoly’s preference of restricting the competition and maintaining the status quo

Saw this fun little tidbit in Telus's 2012 annual report to investors: "We generated industry-leading lifetime revenue per customer of more than $4,100". Thats right. Telus is leading the industry in how much money they take from each customer. Remember that this is their final goal when it comes to every customer. How much they can get out of you.

OK, but how useful is that when you're 20m away from your wireless landline receiver?

Also, if you really want to compare rates, here they are:

Shaw home phone - $29.95/mo (http://www.shaw.ca/home-phone/voice-plans/)

Rogers Talk and Text 1000 minutes + unlimited after 6pm - $35.00/mo (http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WLRS_Plans)

Bell's and Telus' plans for similar features are up at $50.

Here's the point - landlines are great and reliable, but how likely are you going to be using it if you're at work/school? For the same amount of money, one can get a cheaper phone, sign onto a $35/mo rate with Rogers without a fixed contract, and be able to move about with their cell phone.

“Canada really SHOULD be the most expensive country for wireless service in the OECD, but we’re not. That’s a great success story we should be celebrating,” Woodhead wrote.

Not really. I tried that with Bell a few years ago. I said I wanted an iPhone 4 (when it first came out) and the guy on the phone told me all about the 3 year plans etc. I asked what he could do for me if I bought my own iPhone 4 from them or the Apple store outright and he said that the plans are more expensive that way.

I told him that didn't make sense because the cost of the phone is built into the monthly rate, so if I buy the phone I should get a discount. He said I didn't understand how it worked and that it would be more expensive. I asked how much more, and he obviously made up a number - something like $20 more, plus some fee, plus some other fee etc.

For some phones on Telus, your choices were:

1. 3-year contract

2. 3-year contract

3. 3-year contract

4. 3-year contract

My GF gets a corporate rate with Telus on voice and data through her employer and she wanted the iPhone 5. I told her to get it on a 1-year contract. Every Telus retailer we went to, including Telus themselves, would only offer a 3-year contract on it. You couldn't even buy the phone outright and go month-to-month.

So, yes, in some cases, those 3-year contracts were FORCED if you wanted a specific phone.

only a total fool wouldn't see the benefits to the consumer (us) of having another major player upset the monopoly they have...

The big 3 have over 85% of Canada's spectrum... Extremely valuable spectrums that were pretty much given away to them for FREE by the government...

now they are all pissed and playing the nationalist card when the government wants to introduce more competition.....

people really need to support this.. only ignorant fools or the big 3 shareholders should be mad about this

Archived