The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fake Ferrari car dealers busted in Spain

PlayStation

Man they look exactly like the real deal! Minus the engine...

Fake-Ferrari_2632092b.jpg

ku-bigpic.jpg

Officers raided two garages where the conversions were carried out near the eastern city of Valencia, a police statement said.

They arrested eight people suspected of converting and selling the cars and seized 10 cars 17 fake Ferraris and two imitation Aston Martins.

"The supposed deluxe cars were advertised on two websites for about 40,000 euros (£35,000), compared to the more than 200,000 euros that an authentic model would cost on the legal market," the police said.

The suspects "themselves made the fibreglass pieces to transform the cars" and faked the badges of the deluxe models to complete the job.

"The final appearance of the supposed deluxe vehicles in their external and internal design and even in the details of the engine simulated to perfection the look of the original models," the statement said.

I believe I saw a fake ferrari downtown once.

I watched the guy get in and start it up. When the ferrari started it sounded like a honda civic starting, then he proceeded to drive away and normally you would hear the power of the engine, but it just sounded like your standard engine found in any toyota or honda.

so... they seized 10 cars, and 17 of them were ferraris and 2 were aston martins?

somebody can't do math.

And since when is a toyota engine an exact replica of a ferrari engine? The article writers are morons.

The fact that they wouldn't test the car before buying it and seeing that there's no power either seems like a pretty stupid idea.

They don't even look like the real thing to anybody who is the least bit of a car nut.  First, the body panel fit and finish is just sub par. Another dead give away is the transmission with a standard 3 pedal manual.  Almost all new Ferraris have a "flappy paddle gear box" which is an automated manual with paddle shifters. Finally, a Ferarri 360 (I think that's what these are supposed to be immitating) with the engine mounted in front of the driver.

If you're going to fake making a Ferarri, at least know some basics like mounting the engine behind the driver...nevermind, that would be way too hard and expensive to do without lots of fabrication on the drivetrain.

Yup, plenty of reasons why they don't look right, but some people want to look like they have money on a discount. I was selling my Ford Ranger in the paper awhile back, but only said Ranger in the ad. I had so many people call and even a guy show up thinking it was a Range Rover, despite the lower Ford Ranger price associated with it.

You'd think the toyota logo on the engine would have been a bit of a warning for the Customers. My thought is that the people buying these cars knew exactly what they were getting. I'm sure if they didn't call them Ferrari or Austin martins there would have been no problem for these guys to keep operating.

They should have left all the names and logos off of the cars and then sold them legit logos that they acquired by legitiment means so the customer could have attached them to the cars themselves.

They don't even look like the real thing to anybody who is the least bit of a car nut. First, the body panel fit and finish is just sub par. Another dead give away is the transmission with a standard 3 pedal manual. Almost all new Ferraris have a "flappy paddle gear box" which is an automated manual with paddle shifters. Finally, a Ferarri 360 (I think that's what these are supposed to be immitating) with the engine mounted in front of the driver.

If you're going to fake making a Ferarri, at least know some basics like mounting the engine behind the driver...nevermind, that would be way too hard and expensive to do without lots of fabrication on the drivetrain.

I watched the guy get in and start it up. When the ferrari started it sounded like a honda civic starting, then he proceeded to drive away and normally you would hear the power of the engine, but it just sounded like your standard engine found in any toyota or honda.

You'd think the toyota logo on the engine would have been a bit of a warning for the Customers. My thought is that the people buying these cars knew exactly what they were getting. I'm sure if they didn't call them Ferrari or Austin martins there would have been no problem for these guys to keep operating.

They should have left all the names and logos off of the cars and then sold them legit logos that they acquired by legitiment means so the customer could have attached them to the cars themselves.

People would know they are fakes. 100%. There used to be a fake Countach on the streets here in Vancouver about 15 years ago. Even sounded bad ass but the wheelbase was far too short. Lambos are long cars. It looked ridiculous.

Using the Ferrari badging and the likeness of their cars without permission is where the cops comes in. Its like all those Shelby Cobra kit cars out there. Eventually Carroll Shelby got fed up with it and started suing the manufacturers. He won. Every case. Made them donate to his cancer foundation.

Archived