The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US on the Verge of Another Economic Boom? Or Bubble?

TOMapleLaughs

Inflation is an increase in the supply of currency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monetary_inflation

Deflation is the decrease in the supply of currency.

Velocity of money is the rate at which currency changes hands. Hoarding cash/currency/dollars is not deflation, rather it is the velocity of money decreasing. Inflation/deflation happens at the central bank level.

Velocity of money is the rate at which currency changes hands. Hoarding cash/currency/dollars is not deflation, rather it is the velocity of money decreasing. Inflation/deflation happens at the central bank level.

I'm not gonna deny they have skewed Keynes' theory, but it's his underlying fundamental policy that has been abused by bureaucrats.

The idea that you can print you way out of a recession. Never worked in the past and it's not working now.

Of course, I follow the Austrian school of economics.

Capital is merely currency reinvested for a profit - the motor of the capitalist system.

I agree that central banks play a role in guiding our economy, but it does not dictate deflation and/or inflation.

That is done at different scales, as illustrated by earlier discussions.

Edit: to elaborate, the BOC can not tell a bank what to set their interest rate at: they operate under the assumption of moral suasion. They set interest rates at a price they believe to be best for our economy, and the banks follow.

I'm not gonna deny they have skewed Keynes' theory, but it's his underlying fundamental policy that has been abused by bureaucrats.

The idea that you can print you way out of a recession. Never worked in the past and it's not working now.

Of course, I follow the Austrian school of economics.

I nod my head at a lot of what you write, but Wikipedia can be wrong :)

My biggest influence in economic theory is very poorly represented by your platform.

Nonetheless, from what I've read from you it has served you well. Just take a critical eye if you ever get more In depth when wiki is your starting point.

Just my opinion of course!

What do you mean by 'at the central bank level'? Central banks do not fix market prices, and I think over the last few years we have clearly seen that they can only have certain amount of influence over inflation. Supply and demand of essential goods, international politics and consumer confidence have as much to do with prices and value of currency as do monetary policies.

Archived