The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Veteran Presences + 4th Line Upgrade (3 trades, 1 signing)

One thing we lacked in 2011 was a veteran presence/a guy that's won the Cup before to help keep the team calm in pressure situations. IMO if we get a grey beard for this year we'll be in good shape. These trades and signings could vastly improve our team overall:

Trade 1)

To Vancouver: Daniel Paille

To Boston: Yann Sauvé, 2014 2nd or 3rd (which ever one is needed to get it done)

Trade 2)

To Vancouver: 2014 3rd

To Winnipeg: David Booth

Trade 3)

To Vancouver: Darren Helm, Gustav Nyquist, Todd Bertuzzi

To Detroit: Alex Edler

-------------------------------------------------------------

Re-signings:

Chris Tanev: 2 x $1.5 million/year

Gustav Nyquist: 3 x $1.2 million/year

Signings:

Teemu Selanne: 1 x $6 million (we use the 35+ bonus with Selanne so half would count against the cap and the other half in bonuses. Unlikely Teemu leaves Anaheim, but Alfredsson left Ottawa for one more shot at the Cup, so its possible)

Mark Fistric: 1 x $1.3 million

Remaining cap: $1,097,222

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian/Nyquist

Burrows - Kesler - Selanne

Higgins - Helm - Nyquist/Kassian

Paille - Richardson - Hansen

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Bieksa

Fistric - Y. Weber

Luongo

Lack

Scratches: Weise, Santorelli, Bertuzzi

Minors: Schroeder, Sestito, Jensen, Corrado

That team has Cup contending depth which would be extremely useful in the event of a long playoff run. Thoughts?

That's not a cup winning defence imo.

Since I don't think Nyquist is a 1st line player, we're trading a 50 point d-man for 2 3rd liners and a healthy scratch.

I like the idea of getting Paille, but at that price I think he'd be better suited for the 3C.

If we can somehow get Selanne then I'm all for the Booth trade. But I think that's unlikely we get him so I'd keep Booth.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, we had Samuelsson, but he got injured before the finals. Now that they've all been there before (one win short of a cup) I don't know that we need to bring in a vet just for that reason. Even if we don't have a cup winner on the team, we do have winners at other levels of sport including Olympic and World Championship gold.

So many things wrong here.

1) Paille is a perfect 4th liner. Gritty, responsible, a good teammate and a great penalty killer. They won't get rid of him for scraps. Even if a 2nd + a C prospect is enough value wise, it doesn't make sense for them... they want to win now.

2) Winnipeg's top-6 wings are full, and they won't take that contract, anyways.

3) Helm is arguably Detroit's best forward behind D + Z and Nyquist is arguably their best prospect (he might end up being a mini-Datsyuk). Even if Edler was worth those two guys, they are too valuable to the Wings and they don't have any cap space, anyways.

4) Not a chance Selanne comes here.

Archived