The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison

uber_pwnzor

You don't know how good Vlasic is do you? I don't blame you for underrating him because he's one of the most underrated players in the game, but he's one of if not the best defensive d-man next to Chara in the NHL.Garrison is not close to Vlasic calibre.

Hardly, Vlasic's corsi in 2013 was in the Calibre of Chara and Hamhuis.. And Hamhuis is one of the best Shutdown Dmen in the game. Plus, he absolutely shuts down opponents, (Look at 2012/2013 Canucks).I am not overrating him one bit.

We're talking defencemen here. Forwards don't count. To be in the same league as Chara and Hamhuis in corsi, two of the better shutdown d-men in the league, doesn't make you an "average" defenceman. Garrison < Vlasic any day.

I just don't see how one good season in which one of the best puck movers in the game in Campbell was setting him up for all his goals gets Garrison a 6 year deal at 4.6M. It's mind boggling really. That must mean the Clarkson signing is a steal as well right? 1 good season then massive pay raise, sound familiar? And in terms of him taking a discount, it's about as much of a discount as Suter and Parise took to play for the Wild. Sure they could have gotten more elsewhere from desperate GM's, but they're still overpaid. But yea like I said I'm not a fan of Garrison and his sub-par skating, limited hockey sense and contract are often overlooked since he's a precious bc boy.

Vlasic's 7 points compared to Garrison's 16 makes Garrison better offensively by a mile? Makes sense.

Vlasic is much more superior to Garrison in not only Corsi but blocked shots, shutting down top lines, and actually watching both of them play, Vlasic is the much better defenceman in terms of staying in position, stick work, you name it. He even has a superior first pass imo.

Vlasic > Garrison any day of the week. Garrison doesn't put up enough points for me to put him even close to Vlasic.

Vlasic's 7 points compared to Garrison's 16 makes Garrison better offensively by a mile? Makes sense.

Vlasic is much more superior to Garrison in not only Corsi but blocked shots, shutting down top lines, and actually watching both of them play, Vlasic is the much better defenceman in terms of staying in position, stick work, you name it. He even has a superior first pass imo.

Vlasic > Garrison any day of the week. Garrison doesn't put up enough points for me to put him even close to Vlasic.

You are really annoying. How is over double not enough? Also if Garrison played the whole season like he did in the last 2/3rds he would have way over 20 ponts making him 3 times more points. Garrison as stated earlier he had top-5 league corsi, has a shot that has been said to be one level with Shea Weber and Chara by NHL broadcasters, our best overall D-man this year along with Hamhuis and yet you would rather take a really good defensive defense man?

Also IMO the most underated guy on the team. He was hands-down our best defenceman last season yet Hamhuis gets all the glory. Everyone thinks Hamhuis is the best shutdown defenceman on the team, Bieksa is the best agitator/point scorer and Edler is the best passer on our blueline.

Meanwhile, Garrison had the best +/- on our team despite playing with Alex "Goof-ball" Edler and covering up his mistakes, was far more physical and punishing than any other Canuck defenceman (hit stat means nothing, watch the games and you'll see how hard Garrison hit guys into the end boards) and put up plenty of goals and points, despite playing less PP minutes than the rest of our top-4.

Garrison will thrive with Torts, so just watch him come out of the shadow. He is basically the best parts of Hamhuis, Bieksa and Salo all rolled into one player, without the stupid penalties/positional play of Bieksa and the lack of physicality of Hamhuis/Salo.

We DON'T need another playmaker on the back end! We have too many guys on the pp trying to make plays and pass like nobody's business until they lose the puck without getting a shot on net. The Sedins can run the pp unit, we just need Garrison to shoot cuz that's how you score, by shooting. His accuracy improved towards the end of the season and it's only going to get better. I actually love the fact that he shoots whenever he sees an open lane and doesn't try to get too fancy with the puck.

You don't know how good Vlasic is do you? I don't blame you for underrating him because he's one of the most underrated players in the game, but he's one of if not the best defensive d-man next to Chara in the NHL.Garrison is not close to Vlasic calibre.

Archived