The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison

uber_pwnzor

So....Lidstrom was terrible in his 20's? He didn't win a Norris until his 30's. brodeur no Vezina until his 30's. However good he is now, he will only get better. That is what happens with experience and confidence and the ability to stay with the same team same line mates long term.

So....Lidstrom was terrible in his 20's? He didn't win a Norris until his 30's. brodeur no Vezina until his 30's. However good he is now, he will only get better. That is what happens with experience and confidence and the ability to stay with the same team same line mates long term.

Offence is important too, but defence is absolutely a priority when you're a defenceman. You should definitely not be arguing that. And wasn't Bieksa a top pairing d-man playing with Hamhuis? Hamhuis can make anyone look good even me. And being an average skater as a defenceman is a a pretty significant issue. Unless you're being paid as a bottom pairing shutdown d-man a defenceman should be an above average skater especially given he's paid as a top-6 d-man.

And a few other comparable/better d-men making less that come to mind are Josi, Orpik, Boychuk, Seidenberg... Should I keep going?

What does fruit have to do with anything? I like fruit. I try to live a healthy lifestyle and fruit play a huge part in that. Sue me. I don't understand the personal attacks though I guess when you're out of arguments that's what you're left with. I think I've made my point regarding Garrison.

I wish he would hit more often. Don't recall any big checks from him last year. He's a big guy too, looks like a 6 foot tree trunk. USE IT GARRY!

Think the only reason he's not on the 1st PP is cause of his early accuracy issues. Coaches were prob too scared to put the Sedins between him and the net lol.

17 goals this year, 35 points. Bet the farm!

The point you've made and understandably so is you don't know what you're talking about. I also like fruit, but it seems those with "fruit" names seem to complain the most about specific things this team has done. You put a ceiling on a 28 year old player you claim is overpaid and overrated yet haven't given anything to back that claim up at all. We've all presented evidence proving you wrong and asking you to defend your claims but you haven't. He's overrated and overpaid. how, why?

Wow go back to page 1. I don't know how I could be anymore clear unless I write a 10 page essay on the matter which is just not worth my time. The only evidence you've given is that there are some 28 year old player albeit not many who still get better and that if the cap rises in the future then Garrison will be a "steal". Doesn't look like evidence to me, just random speculation.

We DON'T need another playmaker on the back end! We have too many guys on the pp trying to make plays and pass like nobody's business until they lose the puck without getting a shot on net. The Sedins can run the pp unit, we just need Garrison to shoot cuz that's how you score, by shooting. His accuracy improved towards the end of the season and it's only going to get better. I actually love the fact that he shoots whenever he sees an open lane and doesn't try to get too fancy with the puck.

.. Tanev? Are you serious?

Please watch the game more before making a fool of yourself like this. Garrison was our 2nd best defenseman behind Hamhuis.

Alzner is no slouch. "Moving on" because of a career high of 2 goals? Guys like Alzner are guys you win championships with - gritty, shutdown, stay-at-home, clears the crease, hits hard plays hard, logs heavy minutes.

Willie Mitchell's career high in goals in his first 5 seasons was an astounding 3 - many teams would kill to have a guy like Willie (minus the concussion problems). His career high is now 5.

Last minute of the game, 1 goal lead, faceoff in your zone - who would you want out there: Alzner or Garrison?

Last minute of the game, 1 goal deficit, faceoff in the offensive zone - who do you like out there: Alzner or Garrison?

I would want Alzner in the 1st situation, and Garrison in the 2nd. Both are important players and you need both of these guys, or their equivalent, on a team to go far.

EDIT: Alzner will be a UFA in 4 years. Being a Burnaby boy, I hope he wants to come play for Vancouver. Washington is a winning franchise so I think he will stay, but if for whatever reason Alzner wants to leave, I think Vancouver would be a top choice that he would take a paycut to play for.

Wow go back to page 1. I don't know how I could be anymore clear unless I write a 10 page essay on the matter which is just not worth my time. The only evidence you've given is that there are some 28 year old player albeit not many who still get better and that if the cap rises in the future then Garrison will be a "steal". Doesn't look like evidence to me, just random speculation.

Guest Dasein

You're misrepresenting what I said on Alzner. He's a good defensive defenceman, but he is not a Garrison comparable. They are completely different styles of Ds. Garrison is much better offensively, while they're pretty even defensively with Alzner being better based on his physical tools (I haven't watched many Caps games lately so I can't say for certain that he's far and away better). Not saying that Alzner isn't good, he's just a bad example when trying to explain why Garrison is overpaid.

Average skater for a top 4 D. He's not a Letang, but he's not a snail like you make him out to be. His skating is a non-issue.

However, with comaprables, you're completely missing the issue here. Offensive defencemen get paid. Simple as that. Garrison is an offensive defenceman. You can't compare defensive defenceman salaries to offensive defenceman ones. It just doesn't work. Defensemen who produce a significant level of offense will always get paid more than their strictly defensive counterparts

Gonchar at 5.0, Wisniewski at 5.5, Campbell at 7.1, Markov at 5.75, Visnovsky at 4.75, Yandle at 5.25, Boyle at 6.7, Green at 6.1, Enstrom at 5.75, should I keep going? Now I'm not saying that Garrison is better than all these players, or any of them on the offensive side. But defenceman who can shoot the puck hard, score some goals, and rack up some assists too are always going to get paid more. Can you at least see that that's how league salaries work?

Garrison at 4.6 isn't a steal, but for a player who can chip in >10 goals and play pretty well defensively against the 2nd toughest competition on his team, I'll take him without complaining.

Archived