The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WJHC Development Camp Lines

Nail

all Joking aside- when I heard Calgary was trying to get schneider I was very excited...here is my thinking

-aside from Baertschi and Gudreau (who is miniature and I doubt he goes onto be an all star) who do they have that scares you...I mean it is not like they are bursting at the seems with good young players.

I would have traded schneider to Calgary for their 1st (and yes, I would have taken Monahan) as well as another prospect- Hanowski, or their last first round pick of the round or something like that... we could have put in a sweetener like McNally or Sauve

Even with schneider, Calgary- I doubt they will be any good... I just wish MG got a bit more creative

Schneider

canucks 2014 1st, 3rd

for

6th pick overall 2013

Calgary's 1st round pick in 2014

still glad we drafted shinkarurk, I prefer him to porier- hunter by reports seems to be more dynamic a player- the WHL is a better league than the Q and we have not gone to the WHL for prospects much so I think it was about time...Hunter is a captain as well so...

Monahan is only slightly better than Horvat at this point.

I don't see why we would have traded Schneider to a division rival when Horvat was available at number 9. I'd rather us send Schneider out East so we don't have to see him put on a show every night and be reminded how good he is.

As for Monahan, Poirier, and Jankowski being better than Horvat, Shinkurak and Gaunce. That may be slightly true with the first two, but when you think about it, who's the team that's rebuilding? The fact that we have 3 solid prospects from the last two years that are comparable to the Flames top prospects is pretty good. We still have a solid team while having awesome young players for the future, that's the difference.

Monahan is only slightly better than Horvat at this point.

I don't see why we would have traded Schneider to a division rival when Horvat was available at number 9. I'd rather us send Schneider out East so we don't have to see him put on a show every night and be reminded how good he is.

As for Monahan, Poirier, and Jankowski being better than Horvat, Shinkurak and Gaunce. That may be slightly true with the first two, but when you think about it, who's the team that's rebuilding? The fact that we have 3 solid prospects from the last two years that are comparable to the Flames top prospects is pretty good. We still have a solid team while having awesome young players for the future, that's the difference.

As a side note, would anyone actually trade Monahan-Poirier-Jankowski for Horvat-Shinkaruk-Gaunce straight up with no additions or alterations to either side?

I'd rather keep the guys we have, regardless of how two days of WJHC camp have gone, personally.

There's no way Horvat was going to go 6th overall...

Which is why it was unecessary to trade that high, especially since it was a division rival.

Almost all projections had him going from the 9-15th spot, so he was taken at the right spot. And if if somehow he wasn't available, I'm sure Gillis had a backup plan, like taking Nichushkin or maybe even taking Philly's 11th overall plus something else.

But they didn't, and that's the fine line. He's not worth a 5th overall pick because someone else was better (or they thought). If someone Vancouver liked more was available at #9, then he would not have been a 9th overall pick either - but he was. a very fine line.

And I'm sure even more teams were very very very very close to taking Shinkaruk before we snagged him at #24 - sort of like how many teams were very very very very close to taking Perry in 2003. Do those who passed on him regret it? Not necessarily - there were so many great players that year - but there are definitely a couple who do. Same will be the case.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how close you were to being #1 or #2 or #3 or #5. If you're not that, you're not. Horvat is a #9 - no plus points for being almost #5.

But they didn't, and that's the fine line. He's not worth a 5th overall pick because someone else was better (or they thought). If someone Vancouver liked more was available at #9, then he would not have been a 9th overall pick either - but he was. a very fine line.

And I'm sure even more teams were very very very very close to taking Shinkaruk before we snagged him at #24 - sort of like how many teams were very very very very close to taking Perry in 2003. Do those who passed on him regret it? Not necessarily - there were so many great players that year - but there are definitely a couple who do. Same will be the case.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how close you were to being #1 or #2 or #3 or #5. If you're not that, you're not. Horvat is a #9 - no plus points for being almost #5.

Archived