The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WJHC Development Camp Lines

Nail

Just watched the highlights of the scrimmage.

Really nothing that spectacular on the goals. You can tell players are still in practice mode.

I`m excited to see who brings it when they start to play some real games against other teams.

Gaunce had a terrible day one, trust me on that one. Today, he was better, but not a stand-out by any means. During the `controlled` scrimmage as it was called, he was able to use his assets better than simply in a low-contact style drill practice (although that said, Shinkaruk had no problems making yesterdays low contact drill practice fairly physical - nor did Dumba or Nurse). Gaunce was without assigned wingers and was rotated a bit between a few pairs of wingers. Horvat and Shinkaruk both played equally as well as they did yesterday.

The really interesting stuff will happen when the squad hits Lake Placid. There I believe Sutter and his staff will begin the early stages of setting some preliminary line combos, and we`ll get a sense of who they plan to put together.

I`m not entirely sure of how to read Gaunce`s situation. Yesterday he was split from his assigned wingers and placed in session 2 being the extra centerman with no set wingers. Today it was essentially the same thing. At this point, no signs of how or even if Sutter and co plan to use him.

As far as Horvat goes, I`d just like to add something after listening to weeks of discussion on this forum and now having seen him play in the Mem cup on TV and practice/scrimmage live against elite (and it truly is elite) competition the last two days. First, he`s not anywhere near as bad as some people think - IMO, he`s worthy of being traded for the asset the team gave up. However, people thinking he`s the next franchise player of the Canucks had better take a step back with their praise as he`s not been anywhere near head/shoulders above anyone at the camp so far. Guess what I`m saying is that people need to do the most difficult thing on this forum, and wait with patience to see what unfolds with this prospect, and not to put the weight of a lost asset on his young shoulders just yet.

After watching Sutter put this squad through the paces for two days now, the guys that stood out the most IMO (for different reasons) are MacKinnon, McDavid, Fucale, Dumba, Nurse and G.Reinhart.

Lake Placid will be interesting, I get the sense that several players will play themselves on/off the team there.

I would be super surprised (in a good way) if he was heads shoulders above anyone in the camp consider some of the players in the camp r higher picks than him. I think as long as he can secure a Top6 position with this squad I will be happy as Canada WJC usually have stacked teams.

Anyone who watched Gaunce last season knows the guy is clutch. He may not have as many points as some of the other guys, but he comes up with big goals and assists when his team needs it. Plus he's a tireless worker (Best defensive forward in the OHL Eastern Conference).

The people constructing team Canada surely know this, and I'm sure they'll be watching him closely this season.

The good thing is Gaunce can also play left wing if need be.

I think the coaches know what Gaunce can bring. He was a great captain and clutch player for Belleville in their run last season, and was named the best defensive forward in the OHL Eastern Conference.

Practice lines mean nothing right now. I'm sure they'll change quite a bit over the next week. Guys like Laughton, Drouin, and Mackinnon will also likely be in the NHL next season and might not be available.

Either way, still lots of time for Gaunce to prove himself.

I really doubt that this camp will have much bearing at all on who will make the team and who won't. I would think that this is more about taking a look at the players, giving them some things to work on and letting them know what will be expected. The team will most likely be selected based on performance in the fall and how they look in the December Training Camp thingy. (or at least I hope so)

PS first post everybody :)

For team Canada scrimmage tomorrow shinkaruk-gauthier-matha is one line and rychel-gaunce-reinhart is another one. horvat isnt playing tomorrow due to every player will get at least a game to play each so he will sit out game 1

Archived