The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tips on flying standby/last minute flights

BrEwSki

My girlfriend and I are going to the Mariners/Jays game tomorrow night. Because of Seafare/Jays/Cruise ship's/conventions, ect all hotels in downtown are booked.

That got me thinkin.. I heard Sea-tac is one of the cheaper airports to fly standby. I was wondering if anyone has done this before? We're thinking of driving to Sea-tac, watching the game, and catching a last minute flight to Vegas for a couple nights.

Has anyone flown standby out of Sea-tac, could you give me any tips? What kind of prices should I be expecting?

Thank you!

Southwest Airlines should start operations in Vancouver. They´re good and cheap...

Honestly many people don´t agree with me but I think Ryanair should create a "parent company" in USA and in many other countries. ok, they don´t offer anything for free but the tickets are REALLY cheap.

some people like you just travel for 1 or 2 days and don´t carrry extra bags. you just want go there for a very cheap cost. Ryanair it´s a good deal...

Michael O'Leary can be a crazy man. but at least he knows what he is doing...

Southwest Airlines should start operations in Vancouver. They´re good and cheap...

Honestly many people don´t agree with me but I think Ryanair should create a "parent company" in USA and in many other countries. ok, they don´t offer anything for free but the tickets are REALLY cheap.

some people like you just travel for 1 or 2 days and don´t carrry extra bags. you just want go there for a very cheap cost. Ryanair it´s a good deal...

Michael O'Leary can be a crazy man. but at least he knows what he is doing...

Increased competition is never a good thing to the Canadian monopolies. Have you seen what Telus/Bell/Rogers is doing recently with their BS attempts to get Canadians to reject the arrival of Verizon?

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see more airline companies make a presence in Vancouver, but so long as there's Air Canada union members whining about how they will lose Canadian jobs to foreigners, it's a moot point.

Increased competition is never a good thing to the Canadian monopolies. Have you seen what Telus/Bell/Rogers is doing recently with their BS attempts to get Canadians to reject the arrival of Verizon?

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see more airline companies make a presence in Vancouver, but so long as there's Air Canada union members whining about how they will lose Canadian jobs to foreigners, it's a moot point.

My girlfriend and I are going to the Mariners/Jays game tomorrow night. Because of Seafare/Jays/Cruise ship's/conventions, ect all hotels in downtown are booked.

That got me thinkin.. I heard Sea-tac is one of the cheaper airports to fly standby. I was wondering if anyone has done this before? We're thinking of driving to Sea-tac, watching the game, and catching a last minute flight to Vegas for a couple nights.

Has anyone flown standby out of Sea-tac, could you give me any tips? What kind of prices should I be expecting?

Thank you!

I used to fly standby every so often, but not so much anymore. I can't speak specifically for Sea-Tac, but I have found flying standby is a roll of the dice. Load factors on flights are still pretty high and it can be tough to get a seat. That being said middle of the week in the early afternoon or late morning might be your best chance.

Southwest will never operate in Canada. The cost to operate in Canada for a foreign discount carrier is too high. Jetblue gave up on Toronto before they even started and Virgin America tried but couldn't make it work. As for Ryanair, I really hope they stay in Europe. They are a classic case of you get what you pay for. Unorganized and next to no customer service. I fly very frequently within Europe and I avoid them like the plague. But then again money talks and whomever gets you from point A to point B the cheapest will be on top, no matter how miserable the experience and they've proved it.

people complain about Ryanair but when an airline sells a ticket for 10 Euros for 1 hour trip you can´t refuse. that´s why even hating people fly Ryanair, it´s because they´re so cheap people don´t even care if the airport they operate is more than 100KM far from the city you want to go...

One thing to remember. Always pay attention to the offers to bump you to a later flight unless you are on a tight schedule of course. We were on a 1 hour stop in Chicago on our way back to Seattle from Orlando ( Couple years ago $169 return!). They announced a $400 travel voucher for 2 people sitting together willing to get bumped to a flight 1 1/2 hours later. We jumped, so we got in later, no big deal our car would still be there. Thought it would be $400 total but it was $400 each and the later flight seats were first class tickets. I woulda taken it just for the upgrade alone. We were sitting in the departure area one area over (empty and ours was full) so thought we would miss the deal when they announced it but nobody else went for for it. We got $800 in United Airlines travel vouchers and first class tickets for a 1 1/2 hours delay and nobody else wanted the deal. Crazy. People get so caught up in sticking to the plan when traveling. No matter what. I understand some people have connections to make or friends picking them up. Just try to be open to opportunities.

One thing to remember. Always pay attention to the offers to bump you to a later flight unless you are on a tight schedule of course. We were on a 1 hour stop in Chicago on our way back to Seattle from Orlando ( Couple years ago $169 return!). They announced a $400 travel voucher for 2 people sitting together willing to get bumped to a flight 1 1/2 hours later. We jumped, so we got in later, no big deal our car would still be there. Thought it would be $400 total but it was $400 each and the later flight seats were first class tickets. I woulda taken it just for the upgrade alone. We were sitting in the departure area one area over (empty and ours was full) so thought we would miss the deal when they announced it but nobody else went for for it. We got $800 in United Airlines travel vouchers and first class tickets for a 1 1/2 hours delay and nobody else wanted the deal. Crazy. People get so caught up in sticking to the plan when traveling. No matter what. I understand some people have connections to make or friends picking them up. Just try to be open to opportunities.

Archived