The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drop in Hockey - Advice?

DSVII

I don't think i see a 'drop in hockey' thread in CDC yet, but i could be wrong. In any case, i'm sure a good chunk of people on the board have experience!

Trying to get some stick and puck going this summer and working on my game, wondering if you guys have any advice? I'm mainly a stay at home defenseman, and although my skating has gotten better than when i started , I'm still struggling with my crossovers.

I worked a ton this summer to build up my strength and balance though, so I'm pretty confident with puck battles along the boards and stick checking. Mainly, I want to take the next step and try to contribute more offensively, Either by helping on the play when we tbreak out or keeping the puck hemmed in the offensive zone.

A weakness in my defensive game is sometimes I tend to have brain farts and just pass the puck up the ice without looking, and that leads to turnovers :( I guess i'm not too comfortable dekeing past people yet, so any tips on that is appreciated as well! or just General Hockey IQ tips for defensemen too.

Thanks in advance :)

I don't think i see a 'drop in hockey' thread in CDC yet, but i could be wrong. In any case, i'm sure a good chunk of people on the board have experience!

Trying to get some stick and puck going this summer and working on my game, wondering if you guys have any advice? I'm mainly a stay at home defenseman, and although my skating has gotten better than when i started , I'm still struggling with my crossovers.

I worked a ton this summer to build up my strength and balance though, so I'm pretty confident with puck battles along the boards and stick checking. Mainly, I want to take the next step and try to contribute more offensively, Either by helping on the play when we tbreak out or keeping the puck hemmed in the offensive zone.

A weakness in my defensive game is sometimes I tend to have brain farts and just pass the puck up the ice without looking, and that leads to turnovers :( I guess i'm not too comfortable dekeing past people yet, so any tips on that is appreciated as well! or just General Hockey IQ tips for defensemen too.

Thanks in advance :)

Always a bad idea, unless you're a Sedin, in which case, why are you playing defence?

Work on keeping your head up and finding a play. If you're under forecheck pressure and aren't confident protecting the puck or don't have an outlet pass, off the boards/glass and out of your end, and regroup with your linemates.

Evolving your game to contribute more on offense really relies on you knowing where you're teammates are, and that comes from keeping your head up and reading the play. Throwing blind passes is a gamble at best and while it may work once in a while, it's not the kind of gamble that pays off consistently. Not everyone has elite level hockey sense but you can improve that by watching the play develop when you don't have the puck as well. When your D partner has it, have a quick look at where the forwards are as he plays the puck ahead.

If you have some room, don't be afraid to move up with the puck a bit as well. You don't have to go end to end or anything, but moving it up 20-30 feet before making a pass will help your team attack off the rush a bit better and might open up more pass options for you as well. Again though, you want to make sure you keep your head up and are looking for outlet passes the entire time. As you improve and start to see the play develop, you'll be able to anticipate better and make better choices with your outlet pass.

Last but definitely not least, don't get discouraged. You'll still get caught now and then as you push yourself to evolve your game and play a bit more out of your comfort zone. Growing pains are to be expected. Little steps, as long as they're consistent, will get you to where you want to be, but don't go back to that comfort zone if you get caught and scored on. It happens.

Stay at home defenseman? Keep your head up BEFORE you get the puck and immediately when you get the puck throw your head up for a split second, try to visualize different paths your teammates take (hard since it's drop in and teammates change).

Want to contribute offensively? Work on transitioning speeds, learn to adapt to your opponents speed so you know when to pinch/hold the line or just back off. Work on backwards cross-overs/starting so if you commit but get somewhat beat you can immediately backpedal.

And as always, work on positioning wherever you are.

Boards are you're best friend when under pressure.

For break out I always pass to the winger, so if it gets intercepted at-least he is on the outside.

When you're team is putting pressure in the offensive zone, sneak up to the middle just above the face off circle and when you get the pass fire a quick snapper.

From a 13 year house leaguer :towel:

Basic rules for defence men:

-Never pass the puck up the middle in your own zone unless you have a wide open clear lane.

-Make sure the front of the net is always covered

-Keep your head up (applies to everyone but still)

Also, I've played wing and defence a lot and when you can, try to make a direct tape to tape pass to the winger when breaking out. Too many defence men just rim the puck around the boards unnecessarily which makes it tough to make a clean breakout.

On deking, you don't need to do fancy dangles, just skate around people. When trying to go around someone, time it so you make your move quite early and give yourself lots of space. Too many people get in too right before they make a move and they get checked.

Don't try to do anything too fancy or try to be the hero, just play simple hockey. As for the head up thing start working on stick handling while looking up and getting a feel for the puck. After that work on passing and shooting with your head up and that will do wonders for your offensive game. Defense wise you have to think not only about the man with the puck but consider what he can do with it. Just don't rush him or just let him come at you and let him get a good shot or pass off. That's all I can think of right now that could help

For deking, don't go in tight and try to make a slick dangle. It's better to make your move early when there is a lot of space between you and the defender and just skate around him/her. Too many players try to make fancy dangles and just get checked.

Archived