The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistic Expectations for Kassian

Carrots

This is true but most of kass's points came with the twins and a pilon can get points with the twins. Care to enlighten me with the number of points the twins gave Cody? He played on the third line and worked for his points= they were his points. I'm not saying we should sill have Cody but think about your comparison for a moment.

Precisely the same treatment that AV gave to Hodgson (and others, vet or rookie, who weren't otherwise in the permanent "best buddy" club). Funny how many on here are wanting Kassian to be given unearned ice time so he can develop, yet begrudged Hodgson for the rumour that he may have wanted a chance for the same opportunity... Sigh.

Anyhow, I agree with your sentiment that the kid needs a genuine chance to develop his game, complete with the support of his coach that comes from not being benched/press-boxed for every mistake.

The only thing I want to see from him is better fitness and more consistent skating (more confident defense too I suppose). He's smart... I feel the numbers will come in time as he figures the game out. Right now he needs to make himself physically capable of playing the whole season (at least large portions of it) the way he played the playoffs.

I'd go with 35-40 points this year as I think Tortorella will use him properly. I think he he will develop into a 50 point player in the future. Like a poor mans Bertuzzi.

When the Sedins go back to Sweden in 4-5 Years, are line-up should look something like this.

Jensen - Kesler - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - UFA

Burrows - Gaunce - Hansen

UFA - Lain - UFA

Hamhuis - Edler

Garrison - Tanev

Corrado - Bieksa

Lack/Eriksson

UFA

Not bad. That's 13 players that started their NHL careers as Canucks.

Kassian had no choice about coming here so is it realistic to say he even wants to be here. As a professional hockey player, one would assume he would be happy wherever he was as long as he is getting paid and playing

Cody Hodgson's situation in Vancouver was handled poorly by the team, the doctors, AV, Gillis and his interfering dad. Yes he wanted more ice time like any other player would so really you can't fault him for that. Why blame him for that.

Hodgson's talent has not even been exploited or come to the front yet. You label him a prima donna simply for spite because he wanted out of Vancouver and now people fell they can be critical of him in any manner they want. That is their right, however, he may just turn out to prove he is in fact a better player than you realize and subsequently diss him for.

Kassian will do just fine, if he concentrates on hockey, and avoids being a party animal. He definitely has the potential to be a very good hockey player. Now its up to him and his coaches. I'd rather have him on my team in the playoffs, than Cody Hodgson. If Kassian has a decent camp, I think Torts will give him a long look on the first line, and second lines.

If we do not include the five goals in seven game stint that Kassian produced with the Sedins he has three goals in 56 regualr season games as a Canuck.

He has not registered a point in eight playoff games.

My expectation is that he simply does better,begins to play a responsible two-way game where he is rewarded with more ice from consistent effort.

Archived