The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistic Expectations for Kassian

Carrots

I'm not sure that "expectations" and "realistic" are all that compatible.

Expectations aren't necessarily based upon reality - they're based upon projections - in some cases tied fairly 'realistically' to a player's history to that point, but it's really impossible to know the extent of the factors and context that will effect Kassian.

My expectations are that he works hard. I like all the talent and tools he brings - he is similar to what they call a five tool outfielder in baseball. Between being a very good skater for his size, having good vision and hockey sense, lots of grit and two way potential, and plenty of skill with the puck on his stick, I think Kassian will excel in the NHL regardless of where he fits in the lineup - which of course will effect whether he is a 40 or 50 point top 6 player, or a 20 point bottom six role player at this point of his career.

The focus for Hodgson will be defense. The 23-year-old saw goal lights flashing at both ends of the rink all season. His advance stats feature offensive promise and defensive nightmares.

[...] While his offense was stellar, the other side of Hodgson’s game was a mess. Opponents averaged 3.64 goals against him per 60 minutes while skating five-on-five. Of the 689 skaters who appeared in at least 10 games, Hodgson ranked 665th.

In other words, only 24 players in the league were easier to score against.

for those still crying on the trade.

To get back to the topic the OP wanted answered, its not easy because this guy has a very high ceiling but a very low floor.

We all want another Bertuzzi, but none of us want another Bertuzzi.

I believe Zack is far more mature than Bert was, and has better all around skill than Bert did at 22 years old. I could be wrong, but I dont think so. I have thought about it a lot and really watched him play and he has the same 'deer in the headlights' goofy look on his face Bert would get when nothing was happening on the ice.

Bert never lost that floating lazyness until he got to Detroit . Lets hope we can iron that out of Zack right now at a very young age. If we do we could be sitting on a gold mine.

Hold Kassian's feet to the fire. If Torts stays on him all season and does not accept any excuses

then you've easily got a top 6, 20+ goal scorer.

I think Torts is going to be very good for Kassian. I think he needs to ride Booth hard,

stoke Kesler's fire, put the Sedin's out on PK, split them up 5 on 5.

The only one Torts doesn't have to worry about is Burrows. Actually I'm afraid Burrows will get injured

this season blocking a shot with his face or ankle or something.

To get back to the topic the OP wanted answered, its not easy because this guy has a very high ceiling but a very low floor.

We all want another Bertuzzi, but none of us want another Bertuzzi.

I believe Zack is far more mature than Bert was, and has better all around skill than Bert did at 22 years old. I could be wrong, but I dont think so. I have thought about it a lot and really watched him play and he has the same 'deer in the headlights' goofy look on his face Bert would get when nothing was happening on the ice.

Bert never lost that floating lazyness until he got to Detroit . Lets hope we can iron that out of Zack right now at a very young age. If we do we could be sitting on a gold mine.

I'm expecting some consistency problems with Zack but I'm hoping he can still have a good season of learning. He needs to try and be more physical and try and be a consistent threat to lay that big hit. I'd would be happy if he grabed around 35+ points being used in the topsix where he belongs or at least on the 3rd to grind.

So a lot of people think next year he's going to magically become a solid second line player, based on the fact that he was a best for a few games with the Sedins.

He pretty much played 75% of the season doing nothing and maybe creating a chance but of course with no finish, but don't worry we can jut blame that on AV.

I expect more of the same next year, yeah he will get a little bit better, but no way will he be a solid top 6 player, lets get real guys.

Terrible mistake to trade Hodgson for this guy.

Found an interesting article written at the time of the Bertuzzi trade (from NYI):

http://www.lcshockey.com/issues/87/87linden.asp

It's Milbury, so take it with a grain of salt, but pay special attention to the similarities between the complaints about Bert and Kass:

The Isles GM seemed more than happy to wash his hands of Bertuzzi. "If I ever felt [bertuzzi] was going to fulfill his potential, I'd be a fool to make the deal, because his potential is so vast." The Islanders have spend three years trying to tap into that potential. "He's been hugged and kissed and educated," Milbury said. "We tried everything short of bamboo shoots under the fingernails."

Archived