The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ryan Whitney

Hey guys,

So if you look at our current lines, we need a bottom pairing left shot defenceman. I think re-signing Alberts would be a good thing, but he is best suited for a 7th dman role being brought into the lineup when his physical play is needed or if there are injuries. So, this means that our best bet would be to target one of the remaining UFAs and sign them to a one year contract worth less than $1 M so that we can fit under the cap.

Many people will point to either Mark Fistric or Douglas Murray who are both known for their physical play. But if we re-sign Alberts I don't think we need to sign another player who brings the same aspect to the table. It would be better to sign a player who brings something else.

So, I am proposing we sign Ryan Whitney to a 1 year deal worth between $0.75 M - $1M. I think $0.85 M would be fair. Whitney is a very solid defenceman who has quite simply been having a rough time the past year or two. He has been unlucky with injuries and for whatever reason fell out of favour in Edmonton much like Ballard did here. Here is a little scouting report on Whitney and what he would bring to Vancouver's 3rd pairing.

Plus: Whitney is a solid puck moving defenceman who is a very smooth skater. He can quarterback the powerplay if needed. I think he would play well in Vancouver being the 6th defenceman rather than in the top 4 in Edmonton because he would be less counted on for producing offence and what he does bring to the table would be more appreciated, not expected. He could focus on being a solid two way defenceman.

Minus: Although Whitney is relatively good in his own end, he will commit turnovers from time to time. His past injuries have shown that he is injury-prone, however there would be less chance of injury here due to playing less minutes and less games than he previously did. He also is not a very physical player even though he has a big frame (6' 4'', 209 lbs), but like I said he isn't being brought in to be a physical force. That is what Alberts is here for.

We could rotate both Alberts and Whitney in and out of the lineup depending on our opponent or who is playing better at the time. Alberts would likely play against the more physical teams like Boston or LA and Whitney would play against more skilled teams like Detroit or Edmonton.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.600m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)

Mike Santorelli ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Ryan Whitney ($0.850m) / Chris Tanev ($2.250m)

Andrew Alberts ($0.700m) / Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,703,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $596,667

I think if Whitney was given a fresh start in a smaller role he could be a good addition to our team.

Thoughts?

um, Whitney will demand somewhere from 3M-4.5M, and I don't think we need another d-man with a 4M cap hit and a NTC

If he somehow takes a discount, why not. But I don't see that happening and first priority is to sign Tanev.

And what about Corrado? We'd burn another year off of his ELC.

um, Whitney will demand somewhere from 3M-4.5M, and I don't think we need another d-man with a 4M cap hit and a NTC

If he somehow takes a discount, why not. But I don't see that happening and first priority is to sign Tanev.

Whitney was a healthy scratch for many games last year and struggled quite a bit. The fact that he isn't signed means his value will go down as well. If he is demanding what you guys are saying then for sure we shouldn't go after him but I think he could be had at a reasonable price.

Hey guys,

So if you look at our current lines, we need a bottom pairing left shot defenceman. I think re-signing Alberts would be a good thing, but he is best suited for a 7th dman role being brought into the lineup when his physical play is needed or if there are injuries. So, this means that our best bet would be to target one of the remaining UFAs and sign them to a one year contract worth less than $1 M so that we can fit under the cap.

Many people will point to either Mark Fistric or Douglas Murray who are both known for their physical play. But if we re-sign Alberts I don't think we need to sign another player who brings the same aspect to the table. It would be better to sign a player who brings something else.

So, I am proposing we sign Ryan Whitney to a 1 year deal worth between $0.75 M - $1M. I think $0.85 M would be fair. Whitney is a very solid defenceman who has quite simply been having a rough time the past year or two. He has been unlucky with injuries and for whatever reason fell out of favour in Edmonton much like Ballard did here. Here is a little scouting report on Whitney and what he would bring to Vancouver's 3rd pairing.

Plus: Whitney is a solid puck moving defenceman who is a very smooth skater. He can quarterback the powerplay if needed. I think he would play well in Vancouver being the 6th defenceman rather than in the top 4 in Edmonton because he would be less counted on for producing offence and what he does bring to the table would be more appreciated, not expected. He could focus on being a solid two way defenceman.

Minus: Although Whitney is relatively good in his own end, he will commit turnovers from time to time. His past injuries have shown that he is injury-prone, however there would be less chance of injury here due to playing less minutes and less games than he previously did. He also is not a very physical player even though he has a big frame (6' 4'', 209 lbs), but like I said he isn't being brought in to be a physical force. That is what Alberts is here for.

We could rotate both Alberts and Whitney in and out of the lineup depending on our opponent or who is playing better at the time. Alberts would likely play against the more physical teams like Boston or LA and Whitney would play against more skilled teams like Detroit or Edmonton.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.600m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)

Mike Santorelli ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Ryan Whitney ($0.850m) / Chris Tanev ($2.250m)

Andrew Alberts ($0.700m) / Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,703,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $596,667

I think if Whitney was given a fresh start in a smaller role he could be a good addition to our team.

Thoughts?

Archived