The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Group of separatists hope to create new Province of Vancouver Island

-Vintage Canuck-

Will Vancouver Island be Canada’s 11th province?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Group of separatists hope to create new Province of Vancouver Island:

A group of separatists are pitching the idea that Vancouver Island becomes its own province.

When the Hudson’s Bay Company built the iconic Bastion building in Nanaimo in 1853, it wasn’t in British Columbia – it was in the Colony of Vancouver Island.

However, in 1866, Vancouver Island merged with British Columbia.

Now a group of separatists is hoping Vancouver Island will become its own province by 2021.

“Right now we are five times as large as PEI,” says Laurie Gourlay of the Vancouver Island Province Movement.

“We are bigger than six provinces and territories in population. When you look at the size of the island, the resources, and infrastructure – we have what it takes to be our own province but we just haven’t taken steps to proclaim it yet.”

The island is well known for forestry, mining and tourism.

“We already have our Legislature in Victoria, and we would encourage the Mainland to start looking for where they can relocate their Parliament Buildings,” says Gourlay.

“Canada has the historic anomalies of smaller provinces, based on history, like PEI and Nova Scotia,” says Leonard Krog, NDP MLA for Nanaimo.

“We don’t have that excuse or explanation here, and I suspect most people wouldn’t support the concept of a Province of Vancouver Island, as intriguing as it might be.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/763421/group-of-separatists-hope-to-create-new-province-of-vancouver-island/

800px-flag_of_vancouver_island_svg.png?crop=82px%2C0px%2C637px%2C400px&resize=720%2C452

Original flag of the Colony of Vancouver Island.

So long as the Islanders take their share of the provincial debt and cover their fair share of costs re the ferry system, I have no problem with it. I'm sure they will remain as underrepresented federally as BC is. They can also handle their own negotiations with first nations - good luck with that. If they wanted to leave Canada, I'd be okay with that too - just more NDP ridings gone and good riddance.

So long as the Islanders take their share of the provincial debt and cover their fair share of costs re the ferry system, I have no problem with it. I'm sure they will remain as underrepresented federally as BC is. They can also handle their own negotiations with first nations - good luck with that. If they wanted to leave Canada, I'd be okay with that too - just more NDP ridings gone and good riddance.

Archived