The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tanev and Canucks not talking - Major interest from KHL

Given the comparables around the league, Tanev is probably worth somewhere in the neighbourhood of $1.1m. However, his agent could easily look to the Canucks salary structure as the basis for Tanev's salary, in that case Tanev is worth much more.

2008-2009

Upper Cap Limit: $56.7m

Shane O'Brien was the Canucks #6 defenseman, behind Mitchell, Ohlund, Salo, Bieksa, Edler, with a cap hit of $950k or 1.7% of the upper limit.

2009-2010

Upper Cap Limit: $56.8m

Shane O'Brien was the Canucks #6 defenseman, behind Mitchell, Ehrhoff, Salo, Bieksa, Edler, with a cap hit of $1.6m or 2.8% of the upper limit. One could argue Shane was also behind Aaron Rome or Andrew Alberts on the depth chart, but that is reaching as they had yet to take on permanent roles on the team. O'Brien played more game than both Rome and Alberts combined and had a higher average TOI.

2010-2011

Upper Cap Limit: $59.4m

Aaron Rome was the Canucks #6 defenseman, behind Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Salo, Bieksa, Edler, with a cap hit of $750k or 1.3% of the upper limit.

Keith Ballard was the Canucks #7 defenseman, with a cap hit of $4.2m or 7% of the upper limit.

Andrew Alberts was the Canucks #8 defenseman, with a cap hit of $1.05m or 1.8% of the upper limit.

2011-2012

Upper Cap Limit: $64.3m

Keith Ballard was the Canucks #6 defenseman, behind Hamhuis, Salo, Bieksa, Edler, Tanev, with a cap hit of $4.2m or 6.5% of the upper limit.

Aaron Rome was the Canucks #7 defenseman, with a cap hit of $750k or 1.2% of the upper limit.

Andrew Alberts was the Canucks #8 defenseman, with a cap hit of $1.225m or 1.9% of the upper limit.

2012-2013

Upper Cap Limit: $70.2m

Keith Ballard was the Canucks #6 defenseman, behind Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Edler, Tanev, with a cap hit of $4.2m or 6% of the upper limit.

Andrew Alberts was the Canucks #7 defenseman, with a cap hit of $1.225m or 1.7% of the upper limit.

Analysis:

Shane O'Brien was the Canucks #6 defenseman for two seasons, he made approx. 2.25% of the salary cap. In the 2013-2014 season that would be 1.45m.

Keith Ballard was the Canucks #6/7 defenseman for three seasons, he made approx. 6.5% of the salary cap. In the 2013-2014 season that would be 4.18m. This was an overpayment, as evidenced by his buyout.

Aaron Rome was the Canucks #6/7 defenseman for two+ seasons, he made approx. 1.25% of the salary cap. In the 2013-2014 season that would be 800k.

Andrew Alberts was the Canucks #7/8 defenseman for three+ seasons, he made approx. 1.8% of the salary cap. In the 2013-2014 season that would be 1.16m.

So we could potentially argue the following salary structure:

#6: 2.25%

#7: 1.80%

#8: 1.25%

Keep in mind that management does not know who will be where on the depth chart when signing contracts, some guess work is involved. Also note that Ballard's numbers have been omitted in the interest of fairness.

Where does that leave Tanev, who has been the Canucks #5 defenseman for approx. one and a half seasons? Given the salary structure, and every bit of evidence to suggest the Canucks only have four defensemen above Tanev on the depth chart (Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Elder), this would seem to indicate Tanev's salary should be greater than 2.25% of the upper limit, or greater than $1.45m. Given this analysis, and completely disregarding the signings of other teams/the new CBA/the lowering cap causing teams financial problems, I would argue Tanev's value would fall in the $1.5m - $2.0m range.

If we were to argue that Ballard was supposed to be the Canucks #5 defenseman and that is why he was allowed to make 'top 4' money, then the projection for Tanev would be that much higher, I would possibly be willing to go as high as $2.5m, keeping in mind Ballard was older and had more NHL experience at the time he was brought in by the team. Personally, I think that is a weak argument as I feel Ballard was brought in to take Hamhuis' spot (insurance in case he couldn't be signed) and the back up plan was for Ballard to replace Bieksa, therefore he was brought in as a top 4 and his cap hit should not be compared to Tanev, who is not considered a top 4 on this team at this time.

Given the comparables around the league, Tanev is probably worth somewhere in the neighbourhood of $1.1m. However, his agent could easily look to the Canucks salary structure as the basis for Tanev's salary, in that case Tanev is worth much more.

Age, skill set, experience, size etc say otherwise.

It's still early August. As long as he's training for the upcoming season, I'm not too worried that nothing's happening. Training camp isn't until September 11 so they still have over three weeks to work something out.

Furthermore, if Tanev really decides to hold out and not come to training camp, he's shooting himself in the foot more than anything. The Canucks can move forward without him - he's not a MUST have member of the team. Corrado is a candidate to take up his minutes and Weber would be pushing him for a spot anyway. If he misses training camp and signs later, it will take him that much longer to learn Torts' system.

Not talking is all part of the bargaining dance. Not too worried.

I'm sure Gillis has two options for him. Sign a shorter deal that pays less, or a longer deal that pays more.

Tanev really doesn't have much bargaining power. He has limited games and points under his belt, and all his comparables show that he should be making around 1.2-1.5 mil.

Pretty much every contract negotiation that takes longer than two weeks (and gets press coverage in a hockey market like Vancouver) includes at least one instance when the two sides are reported to be "not talking." No big deal. It's not like they're actually unwilling to talk to each other. If Gurney decided to make a call, Gilman would certainly pick-up the phone, and vice versa.

Yeah, ironically I find a report like this to be the first step forward. I stand by the prediction I made about 3 weeks ago, the signing will come out of nowhere in the middle of August. 1.2/1.3 cap hit.

How would we lose him? He was qualified and has no arbitration rights.

To think that another team is going to offer sheet him is a little silly. He is nothing special and there are a bunch of unsigned guys out there better than him.

I wish more people here would understand this. He is a depth defenseman who has played well but as steady as he is he also does not play a physical brand of hockey and provides little offensive upside.

He is a depth defenseman and should be paid accordingly. I wonder what the expectation is from Tanev's side as far as what he should be paid ?

Guest Dasein

CHILL. OUT.

Tanev is not going anywhere. And even if he's gone, Corrado would easily replace him and bring more physicality and offense. Tanev is so grossly overrated on this board...

As others have mentioned both sides are simply playing the waiting game, a game which Tanev will likely lose given his lack of power in this situation.

He's a depth 5/6 guy who doesn't provide much more than sound, positional defensive hockey. He doesn't bring offense, nor does he bring a physical game. He'll be paid accordingly.

The Tanev side is probably asking for way too much money, considering what Chris brings isn't amazing at all. I'm a big fan of Tanev, but the only thing he really has going for him is that he doesn't really panic in his own end. Other than that, his play has been quite unspectacular. He hardly puts up any points, which is fine if you're going to be more of a shutdown defenseman, but his physical game isn't there either and some forecheckers eat him alive.

I like Tanev a lot, but right now he's nothing more than a bottom pairing player and hasn't done anything to show he deserves to be paid as anything else. One of my favorite players on the team, but also one of the most overrated players by this forum in my opinion.

Exactly. Tanev is way overrated around here, like he is our only hope to win

I really like Tanev, but he is going to have to figure out sooner than later that he is an alberts. He is a great bottom pairing option at a great price. If you take away the great price: he is no longer an alberts and therefore not a great bottom pairing option at a great price.

Archived