The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tanev and Canucks not talking - Major interest from KHL

That's really all it is at this point...potential. He has looked solid but until he plays a full season he really hasn't earned a big league pay cheque. This team is deep with two-way defensemen in the minors. Canucks have the upper hand.

Well, the Canucks do have the upper hand.

And Corrado has potential to be better than Tanev, but he's not in the minors, neither is Weber. But our D pool on the farm has no sure fire NHL players barring something out of thin air.

I suppose your going to call up Patrick Mullen? :picard:

How would we lose him? He was qualified and has no arbitration rights.

To think that another team is going to offer sheet him is a little silly. He is nothing special and there are a bunch of unsigned guys out there better than him.

and who did we have that was more reliable defensively??

and who did we have that was more reliable defensively??

I think you mean who is as reliable defensively OR can put up enough points to offset any gaffes of theirs? When you look at it that way, options open up. Although I would definitely rather have Tanev playing next to Edler at even strength and put Garrison with Corrado.

I know fans love Tanev because he seemingly came out of nowhere and Bieksa's cigarette comment, but really, if he's asking too much I'd rather see Corrado up with the big club (or an UFA).

Gives the Canucks more cap space and (probably) a little more offense. Plus, he already has more weight on his frame and is only 20.

Tanev could probably garner a decent return (a 2nd + a 5th or so?) too, so it wouldn't be the worst thing.

An offer sheet would give us a second round pick if we didn't match. (anything under 1.6 and we'd easily match)

I'd way rather have Tanev (a proven NHLer), than a prospect in next years draft that may or may not ever pan out.

What about a 2nd plus 800,000 in cap space, if Corrado is taking his spot?

Depends what Gillis has going on aside from this IMO.

I may be one of the only ones to say he is over rated?..Hey..If this guy doesnt sign,,,we will live and carry on,,no more than 1.4..I even think thats to much,,what the hell has he done?

Corrado is a different story,,this kid has got the jam.

I agree. This is not a case where MG would deserve to be fired for losing Tanev, depending on what the situation is. If it's a case of Tanev's side wanting too much money for what he is (a bottom pairing player), then there might not be a lot else to do but move on.

The team cannot afford to overpay for a bottom pairing D.

He's a very replaceable and unspectacular defenseman so far, with his main talent being able to make a first pass and keep calm under pressure. Watching him get plastered to the boards can be painful sometimes.

If we can get a 2nd round pick out of him. I wouldn't mind getting rid of him, he is replaceable.

What's the point? He's basically the equivalent of a fully developed 2nd round pick right now. And most second round picks never even make the NHL.

We've finally developed our first defenseman since Edler that has shown he can play in the NHL, and now we wanna dump him? Funny how fans did nothing but rave about him during the season, and now he's just a "bottom pairing, replaceable defenseman"...

It would be a huge mistake to get rid of him. If you think guys like Fistric, or Weber, or Alberts can bring what Tanev brings, you're wrong. He's done nothing but improve since he's been here, and appears to only be getting better.

What's the point? He's basically the equivalent of a fully developed 2nd round pick right now. And most second round picks never even make the NHL.

We've finally developed our first defenseman since Edler that has shown he can play in the NHL, and now we wanna dump him? Funny how fans did nothing but rave about him during the season, and now he's just a "bottom pairing, replaceable defenseman"...

It would be a huge mistake to get rid of him. If you think guys like Fistric, or Weber, or Alberts can bring what Tanev brings, you're wrong. He's done nothing but improve since he's been here, and appears to only be getting better.

A 2nd round pick could be better than him. Corrado seems the better defensemen out of them 2. We could get another right handed defensemen in the draft.

Edit: Yeah he was a good 3rd pairing defensemen, but I could name so many others.

A 2nd round pick could be better than him. Corrado seems the better defensemen out of them 2. We could get another right handed defensemen in the draft.

Could be, but is not likely to be. Like I said, most 2nd round picks never become full time NHLers.

An offer sheet would give us a second round pick if we didn't match. (anything under 1.6 and we'd easily match)

I'd way rather have Tanev (a proven NHLer), than a prospect in next years draft that may or may not ever pan out.

If I am the Islanders I offer Tanev 2.5mil for 3 years.I gladly give up the second rounder.

Archived