The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tanev and Canucks not talking - Major interest from KHL

If I am the Islanders I offer Tanev 2.5mil for 3 years.I gladly give up the second rounder.

Yea obviously the Islanders give up a 2nd rounder cause they know Tanev is worth more than that right now.

23 year old D-man who can skate really well and play great in their own zone don't exactly grow on trees.

A 2nd round pick could be better than him. Corrado seems the better defensemen out of them 2. We could get another right handed defensemen in the draft.

Edit: Yeah he was a good 3rd pairing defensemen, but I could name so many others.

A draft pick could be? But is not, not even close, to a guarantee to will be as good. Perhaps they will be better, but who cares!

Then we have to wait an average 4 years to be useful.

Tanev is already contributing!

and who did we have that was more reliable defensively??

Well... last year, we had Garrison, Hamhuis, and Bieksa with better +/- and they were facing much tougher opponents instead of 3rd and 4th liners.

Tanev is an OK 3rd pairing defenceman... but he doesn't contribute offensively and has does not play a physical game. He is worth $900k-$1.2 million considering what comparable players like him are getting.

My statement was that he is going nowhere because he is not good enough for someone to offer sheet. If someone was dumb enough to offer him $1.68 million or higher I would happily save the cap space and take a 2nd round pick as compensation, then sign one of the couple dozen experienced NHL defencemen still out there looking for work who are available for significantly cheaper.

I am curious as to what Tanev's agent is asking for. Signing Tanev seems pretty important for this teams defensive depth.

Really it depends on how Torts uses the defenceman he has. If like AV, Tanev gets bombed around as an afterthought to attempt to cover Edler's blunders and then given up on again it won't hurt to lose him that much. If John can figure where our dmen are playing everyday and also create a role where Tanev plays everyday he's worth 1.4 - 1.7(+), and that's being generous considering he hasn't produced points and didn't play a lot the last few years.

games played in the last 3 years.

What's the point? He's basically the equivalent of a fully developed 2nd round pick right now. And most second round picks never even make the NHL. We've finally developed our first defenseman since Edler that has shown he can play in the NHL, and now we wanna dump him? Funny how fans did nothing but rave about him during the season, and now he's just a "bottom pairing, replaceable defenseman"... It would be a huge mistake to get rid of him. If you think guys like Fistric, or Weber, or Alberts can bring what Tanev brings, you're wrong. He's done nothing but improve since he's been here, and appears to only be getting better.

A draft pick could be? But is not, not even close, to a guarantee to will be as good. Perhaps they will be better, but who cares! Then we have to wait an average 4 years to be useful. Tanev is already contributing!

This and this, basically.

Top 4? No. He's simply a young guy who is contributing and developing, rather than floating and declining. Someone we have developed since day 1 of his pro career.

Will he be a top 4 one day? Possibly. At the rate he's going, probably.

Keep him. It's more worthwhile than it is to A - Take a 2nd round pick; and/or B - Sign a UFA.

why would tanev want to sign here? top 4 is set long term with nmc/ntc's. he probably wants to get on a team that gives him the TOI so he can develop. the canucks are too competitive to try Tanev on the PP. The few times I have seen him get time, he is too tentative and lacks confidence. He'll never get the chance here, and he missed a big chunk of his development in Junior. Being a good skating defenseman with strong passing and good vision, there's reason to believe he could develop that offensive side of his game, but I doubt it happens in a Canucks uniform.

why would tanev want to sign here? top 4 is set long term with nmc/ntc's. he probably wants to get on a team that gives him the TOI so he can develop. the canucks are too competitive to try Tanev on the PP. The few times I have seen him get time, he is too tentative and lacks confidence. He'll never get the chance here, and he missed a big chunk of his development in Junior. Being a good skating defenseman with strong passing and good vision, there's reason to believe he could develop that offensive side of his game, but I doubt it happens in a Canucks uniform.

It all about how much you want to spend on potential. For me all Tanev has done so far is prove that he can play NHL. It his body of work is not that great yet. He will be a 3rd pairing for a couple more seasons. Ultimately if he is good enough to play top 4 he could make Bieksa expendable. Being RD is a ideal situation for Tanev as Van is weak on that side.

We don't know the detail of the negociations. If I was Tanev I would want a 2 year deal so that I could renegociate as a UFA. Gillis could be trying to get 3 or 4 years based on how the Canucks are evaluating his potential. All very tough considering the CAP situation.

There's room to sign him to $1.4 million for 2-4 years easily which would be keeping in line with other defensemen on that type of contract or bridging their RFA years. Which is a steal considering the cap is going to go up fast in the next two seasons with the league forcing outdoor games and possible expansions down peoples throats.

he's a good young d-man but at the end of the day he's replaceable so if the greedy kid and his agent want to sit and watch just ask PK subban about holding out. and Tanev is a very average RFA in comparison.

One of the things that drives me nuts about this forum is how posters are so quick to dump on players that don't sign on the dotted line right away or file for arbitration.

You have no idea why this deal hasn't been done - it could be an issue of term, for example.

Archived