The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tanev and Canucks not talking - Major interest from KHL

One of the things that drives me nuts about this forum is how posters are so quick to dump on players that don't sign on the dotted line right away or file for arbitration.

You have no idea why this deal hasn't been done - it could be an issue of term, for example.

How dare you bring reason and logic into CDC!

although i do like Tanev's potential , i would be worried that the way he tends to get hit and the positions he finds himself in would eventually lead to injuries, of all the canucks d core he tends to be on the receiving end of solid hits that if he doesn't approve his on-ice awareness Will lead to injury ...so imo we should sign him to a 1or 2 yr contract and if he continues to develop then with more cap flexibility in the future lock him up long term..

"replaceable" " nothing special"

I don't even wan't to think about how bad our D would have sucked last year without him. Between Bieksa and Edler with their lazy bone headed moves, it's nice to have a D-man that plays safe and without fear. Tanev is important, losing him would make the team worse, simple.

although i do like Tanev's potential , i would be worried that the way he tends to get hit and the positions he finds himself in would eventually lead to injuries, of all the canucks d core he tends to be on the receiving end of solid hits that if he doesn't approve his on-ice awareness Will lead to injury ...so imo we should sign him to a 1or 2 yr contract and if he continues to develop then with more cap flexibility in the future lock him up long term..

Isn't that one of the big questions around Tanev? His game to date has all been about calmly moving the puck out of the Van d-zone. He is a puck possession type player. It does leave him open for a tough physical forecheck. Fans were all marveling about how he could take a hit and bounce back up. Youth is a fabulous thing but the hurts are cumulative. At 180 to 185 pounds Tanev doesn't have a lot of cushion. I am sure none of this is new to Tanev and he will be adding pounds and refining his game.

One of the things that drives me nuts about this forum is how posters are so quick to dump on players that don't sign on the dotted line right away or file for arbitration.

You have no idea why this deal hasn't been done - it could be an issue of term, for example.

your right my bad, clearly MG hasn't signed him because he's asking/willing to sign for a very reasonable contract for a bottom pairing d-man. and to be clear thats what he is and not just on this team.

classic cdc over valuing every player, he's a good d-man thats it nothing more. if he doesn't want to sign for what he's being offered sit and watch nobody's going to give him an offer sheet because he's just an average player.

I honestly don't see where you guys are getting "Top 4" potential out of Tanev. What is he really good at besides playing a solid, intelligent game? Nothing. He isn't a particularly fast skater, he doesn't have much ability with the puck in the offensive zone, he doesn't hit that hard and isn't even built like a prototypical shutdown d-man. (Although he's still young and might pack on some muscle).

The only reason we all like him is because he doesn't make many mistakes, and played with a maturity level which exceeded expecations for his age. To me, that does not constitute a player who is destined for a top pairing career.

So to me, unless he displays the ability to do a lot more, I don't see him as being anything more than a 5th or 6th d-man - and as such. I think he's worth about a million for a short (2 year?) contract. Maybe at the end of the 2 years he's proven he should garner a larger investment.

your right my bad, clearly MG hasn't signed him because he's asking/willing to sign for a very reasonable contract for a bottom pairing d-man. and to be clear thats what he is and not just on this team.

classic cdc over valuing every player, he's a good d-man thats it nothing more. if he doesn't want to sign for what he's being offered sit and watch nobody's going to give him an offer sheet because he's just an average player.

or they're like 100,000 apart and neither side is overly concerned that a deal won't get done before the season.

It's complete idiocy to assume that it has to be Tanev asking for a kings ransom or that Gillis pissed him off. Everyone here jumps to the extremes.

or they're like 100,000 apart and neither side is overly concerned that a deal won't get done before the season.

It's complete idiocy to assume that it has to be Tanev asking for a kings ransom or that Gillis pissed him off. Everyone here jumps to the extremes.

Nobody here is jumping to extremes...

it's obvious that MG seduced Chris Tanev's parents into an awkward threesome and Chris walked in on that scene, grabbed a knife from the kitchen to attack MG who had to defend himself while he was naked. MG knocked Chris out finished his business with his parents and left to go fly fishing. While Fly fishing Chris plotted his revenge and seduced MGs wife. While they were pillow talking MG's wife gave up information that MG is really part of an islamic extremist sleeper cell. Now Tanev is blackmailing MG that if he doesn't get $100,000 more on his next contract he will rat him out to CSIS. Gillis has countered that $50,000 and free access to his wife is his counter proposal. Chris said he would need to time to think about his proposal and it's best if they only communicate through encrypted messages for the next few days while he has time to think.

Sometimes you need to read between the lines. :bigblush:

I think people here are forgetting Gillis was one of the best agents around. And, one of the only things he is good at is signing players to good contracts. Chris AND his dad are on record saying he loves van and want to stay. It's going to get done and everyone here will be back on the bus. Quit panicking. Be patient.

ALL RIGHT EVERYBODY! BACK TO THE PILE!!

it's obvious that MG seduced Chris Tanev's parents into an awkward threesome and Chris walked in on that scene, grabbed a knife from the kitchen to attack MG who had to defend himself while he was naked. MG knocked Chris out finished his business with his parents and left to go fly fishing. While Fly fishing Chris plotted his revenge and seduced MGs wife. While they were pillow talking MG's wife gave up information that MG is really part of an islamic extremist sleeper cell. Now Tanev is blackmailing MG that if he doesn't get $100,000 more on his next contract he will rat him out to CSIS. Gillis has countered that $50,000 and free access to his wife is his counter proposal. Chris said he would need to time to think about his proposal and it's best if they only communicate through encrypted messages for the next few days while he has time to think.

This is exactly what happened, but I think you forgot the oddly half eaten baggette nobody could properly explain

Forget my post above. I've been swayed. It is this^^

Tanev will not get more than 1.1, which is in the ballpark of what Jake Muzzin signed for. and Jake Muzzin is better than Tanev

Is Muzzin better? He is 6'3" and 215 lbs...He's a year older and took longer to catch a break with the Kings. Younger Tanev has almost double the career games, usually an indicator...

Is Muzzin better? He is 6'3" and 215 lbs...He's a year older and took longer to catch a break with the Kings. Younger Tanev has almost double the career games, usually an indicator...

He's bigger, more physical, and better offensively. Has 3x the amount of goals Tanev does

Unless they are on the same team and the same type of player competing for the same roster spot comparing how long it took them to catch a break is pretty subjective and not really an indicator of who is the better player.

Breaking into the Kings D would be much tougher imo due to them having deep D at the NHL level (it basically took injuries for Muzzin to get a real chance) plus the Kings have had more and better prospects at D than the Canucks have over the last several years. Tanev was basically the only prospect with any kind of real chance to make the team and a lot of his allure for AV was being right handed which the team needed.

If it was up to me, I would take Muzzin over Tanev every time and think Muzzin is the better player and has a higher ceiling..

Archived