The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best concert you've been to?

NikiShiz

Been to millions but my favourite "huge" concerts were probably seeing the Grateful Dead (a bunch of times) in the early and mid 90s.

It wasn't just their amazing live sound, it was also the entire day before the shows and night after them that was so fun.

The parking lots were turned into a village of laid back humanity.

(I was never a Deadhead, but I loved their music)

Saw the Dead in a very small venue in London, can't recall the place, it was in '72, but it never really got going as a concert. Most of the audience was milling around, I might as well have been walking back and forth to my living room. Don't get me wrong, like their music, but some groups can pull concerts up, that night the Dead didn't. One of those groups that all of us should have seen, but its too late for that, same goes with The Band. Nope, missed them too.

My "greatest festival lineup" was seeing The Cure, R.E.M., Bob Dylan, Page & Plant, PJ Harvey, Elvis Costello, Debbie Harry, Shane MacGowan, Dick Dale, Bunny Wailer, Jeff Buckley, The Black Crowes, Van Halen, NOFX, Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Weezer, Blur, Supergrass, Morphine, Ice-T, Napalm Death and Biohazard all within a 3 day period.

It was pure heaven.

And for just pure raw talent, the best I've ever seen is Stevie Ray Vaughan when I was a teenager.

No lightshow, no smoke and mirrors, just insane raw power coming out of his hands.

Calvin Harris was a lot of fun but it's that sort of environment.

Carrie Underwood was phenomenal and obviously Jay Z and JT was spectacular as well.

I know that Beyonce will be the best show that I'll ever see live this November so I'll say her.

Thought I would put down the worst concert I've ever been to. Hands down it was the Black Eyed Peas.

My wife and I had box seats to this horror show. Lowlight of the evening is when the BEP did a 17 minute version of "Row Row Row Your Boat." WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hard to pick just one, so I'll list my favourites:

- Paul McCartney (seeing again next week)

- Daft Punk

- The Hives

- Blur (sans Graham Coxon)

- The Rolling Stones

- Dave Matthews Band (great when I saw them back in 2001)

- The White Stripes

- The Flaming Lips

- Beastie Boys

- Beck

Calvin Harris was a lot of fun but it's that sort of environment.

Carrie Underwood was phenomenal and obviously Jay Z and JT was spectacular as well.

I know that Beyonce will be the best show that I'll ever see live this November so I'll say her.

I'd like to add in Kid Rock at the Agrodome(???) back in 2006 or 07, I couldn't have imagined it being that entertaining, but he truly is one of the hardest working and most rewarding live performers in music today. As i've read countless times: critics go in ready to hate him, and leave saying that was one of the best concerts they've been to.

Also Mellencamp back in the mid to late 90's, three encores baby, i've never seen all of Rogers arena/GM dance like that

I've been to so many, it's hard to pick just one.

Right now though it has to be Paul McCartney at Safeco Field

Seeing him bring out the remaining members of Nirvana to jam was awesome!

Other recent greats:

Roger Waters - BC Place

Metallica - Rogers

Rammstein - Rogers

Imagine Dragons - Commodore

Nickelback - Rogers

Foxfest 2013 - Deer Lake Park

I Mother Earth - Commodore

Slash - QE Theatre

I go to far too many concerts though, and I find all of them the "best" in different ways.

other concerts I have been to

White Zombie x3

Pantera and Slayer

Metallica x3

Ozzfest

Edgefest

Volbeat

Up in Smoke tour Dre, Snoop, Eminem

Nickleback ( when I could stand them)

Bif Naked

Our Lady Peace

Kiss

Hole

Pearl Jam

ACDC

Tragically Hip

54-40

System of a Down x2

Swollen Members

Chilli Peppers

Filter

Kid Rock

Tool

Bryan Adams

Bon Jovi

Nelly Furtado

Rage Against the MAchine

Stone Temple Pilots

Primus

Godsmack x2

Slipknot

Feaf Factory

Queens of the Stone Age

Deaftones

Green Day

Foo Fighters

Creed

Matthew Good Band

I happened to work for a guy who was really good friends with a manager from House of Blues Concerts and he hooked me up for every single show they had in Vancity from 1999-2004. It was ridiculous. All I had to do was call him up and 2 tickets were waiting at will call for me.

My fav. still has to be my first real concert. It was Offspring in the late 90's after they released Ixnay. Thought they were done when my buddy told me that bands do encores haha. Sure enough they came back on and ask the whole crowd to come on stage. About 100 of us got on stage and they played Session. I started banging on the bongo drums but they weren't mic'd up haha, probably a good thing.

Warped Tour at the Gorge in Washington was pretty sweet as well. It was on thier July 4th holiday, after the show it was a huge party. Flippin' hot though.

My fav. still has to be my first real concert. It was Offspring in the late 90's after they released Ixnay. Thought they were done when my buddy told me that bands do encores haha. Sure enough they came back on and ask the whole crowd to come on stage. About 100 of us got on stage and they played Session. I started banging on the bongo drums but they weren't mic'd up haha, probably a good thing.

Warped Tour at the Gorge in Washington was pretty sweet as well. It was on thier July 4th holiday, after the show it was a huge party. Flippin' hot though.

Archived