The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Horvat and Shinkarukk signed

2014/2015 line-up

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Horvat-Kesler

Hansen-Schroeder-Shinkurak/Jensen

Higgins-Gaunce-Richardson

And the cap is going up, so we'll have tons of space for more players. If the sedins stay at 80 pts, we'll be stacked.

Good to see they both signed their ELC's. I hope they have a strong training camp and see a glimpse of the game at the NHL level. Another year in junior won't hurt their development and I'm sure they are looking to integrate valuable skills and training from the WJHC's with Canada.

Looking good for the Canucks' future!

New Jersey will definitely benefit more for a while, but maybe 3-6 years down the road the Canucks will get their share too. This has been debated to hell though lol so I hope I don't restart it. I'm just happy that we know who our #1 goalie is AND we got a good prospect from it!

(sure beats Scrivens + 2nd while keeping Schneider...)

NJD would still lose even if they got a prime Hasek back for that 9th. Who the heck is going to score goals on that team? And it's not like they have a stellar defense, either.

Schneider is going into a dire situation and I don't think any goalie is good enough to bail that team out of it. We'll see, though.

I suppose most people will already know this but for those who don't:

The current ELC maximums, as per the CBA, are base salaries of $925,000 (NHL) and $70,000 (AHL). There is also a performance bonus portion on top of the NHL salary. The total performance bonus maximum is $2,850,000 additional annual salary. A maximum $850,000 portion consists of "Schedule A" bonuses, which are statistics-based (icetime, goals, points, etc) and team selection (All Rookie Team, All-Star Game, All-Star MVP), while a maximum of $2 million consists of "Schedule B" bonuses, which are strictly awards-based (major NHL awards like Hart, Selke, Conn Smythe, etc plus some additional All-Star Game bonuses).

Signing bonuses cannot exceed 10% of the contract total and they are included in the base salary (and cap hit)--for most purposes they don't really effect the cap hit.

For more ELC and bonus details, see: http://www.capgeek.c...tracts-work.php

Given Vancouver's current cap situation (and the salary cap reduction for 2013-14), if either (or both) player(s) makes the Canucks roster for 2013-14, the number to use for most roster considerations will most likely be a cap hit of $925,000 (with any performance bonuses deferred to the next season).

TL;DR: So when making capgeek rosters (or whatever), you can basically consider Horvat and Shinkaruk as both having $925,000 cap hits (assuming they both get the maximum allowable NHL base salary).

Everyone forgets too that Schneider only has two years left on his contract, and Brodeur is still there wanting to be a starter. Who knows if Schneider even wants to be part of what looks like a Devils rebuild. He's in the prime of his career and didn't exactly choose to go to New Jersey.

If Schneids bails after one season of being their clear cut number 1, the Canucks will have won this deal.

As for Horvat and Shinkaruk, they'll likely both be going back to junior. There's no way Hunter is strong enough to play in the NHL yet, and Bo still has to develop his offensive game in junior more before he's ready.

@News1130Sports

"It's been crazy. I really haven't had a lot of time to let it sink in," #Canucks first rounder Hunter Shinkaruk who signed today.

@News1130Sports

"To partake in my first NHL training camp is also something I've dreamed of," #Canucks first rounder Hunter Shinkaruk who signed today.

@News1130Sports

"We're both pretty excited about this time here, it's cool to go through it together," #Canucks Hunter Shinkaruk on Team Canada summer camp.

Archived