The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Horvat and Shinkarukk signed

2014/2015 line-up

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Horvat-Kesler

Hansen-Schroeder-Shinkurak/Jensen

Higgins-Gaunce-Richardson

And the cap is going up, so we'll have tons of space for more players. If the sedins stay at 80 pts, we'll be stacked.

Not really, nobody knows who NJD were going to select with the 9th overall pick. It is known that they were very interested in Hunter Shinkaruk and had 3-4 interviews with him prior to draft day.

By selecting Bo Horvat the Canucks would have altered that series of events. So if Shinkaruk turns out like he is touted to be, than the Canucks have won the trade.

:bigblush:

That logic doesn't even make sense. If Horvat becomes the greatest player ever we still lost the trade? :wacko:

No, I think it would mean the Canucks knew how good Horvat could be which is why they were willing to give up such a valuable asset to get him.

Trading Schneider to Calgary or Edmonton could have also meant getting eliminated by them in the playoffs in the future. We'll never know.

2014/2015 line-up

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Horvat-Kesler

Hansen-Schroeder-Shinkurak/Jensen

Higgins-Gaunce-Richardson

And the cap is going up, so we'll have tons of space for more players. If the sedins stay at 80 pts, we'll be stacked.

Realistically, these two are farther down the depth chart for making the team this year IMO. We will probably see Jensen and Corrado for some games this year. The other three are long shots. However, I suppose we have new coaching staff, so anything is possible? This *should* be the year that we see Kassian establish himself as a force, and Tanev make some progress on offence. I'll bet they are working on it right now.

Jensen

Corrado

Gaunce

Shinkurak

Horvat

Based on NHL play only.

And he doesn't just get $850,000. That number is made-up of a bunch of individual bonuses written into his contract.

Standard ELC bonus targets for a forward are as follows (Schedule A): being in the top-six of forwards (on his team) in ice-time, scoring 20 or more goals, 35 or more assists, 60 or more points, 0.73 or greater points/GP, being in the top-three forwards (on team) in plus/minus, and selection to the All-Star Game.

Each individual target can be worth a maximum of $212,500. The total of all these potential bonuses cannot exceed $850,000

There are also so-called Schedule B bonuses (although I'm not sure if Horvat was given these on his contract). These have a maximum aggregate value of $2 million and are based on either winning or collecting high votes (top-five, top-three, etc, depending on the category) for NHL awards and honors.

Details are here: http://www.capgeek.c...tracts-work.php

EDIT: Looking over those rules again, I'm curious if Shinkaruk's performance bonuses represent meeting the target for only one category (like maybe top-six icetime or one of the scoring totals like 20+ goals or 60+ points)?

His $212,500 is exactly equal to the maximum for a single bonus target category.

Similarly. I'm wondering if Horvat was given the maximum Schedule A bonuses and no Schedule B bonuses?

This would be a good way to go as the Schedule B targets are very difficult and unlikely to achieve. Also, the NHL already pays out much of these bonuses (and those amounts are only charged to the cap if they're written into the contract). Basically, if Horvat won an award, even without any Schedule B bonuses written into his deal, he would still get paid the following by the NHL:

If he has Schedule B bonuses for those awards written into his contract, the NHL payouts become additional cap charges on his AAV (EDIT: I meant added to his base salary as part of the performance bonus figure--not an additional charge over and above his existing performance bonus figure).

No Schedule B bonuses on his contract and he just keeps the money and the team doesn't take a hit on the salary cap.

Archived