The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ilya Bryzgalov has offers on the table

Bryz is a strong technical goalie, big in the net, but has questionable mental fortitude. He ain't perfect, or even one of the better starters, but he deserved more respect than the Flyers gave him. They hailed him as a saviour, then almost immediately treated him like they were still playing behind Roman Čechmánek.

FLA seems to be the best fit but it might be Edmonton. For some reason they keep trying to replace Dubynk - who has potential and wants to be there.

Bryz needs to tuck himself into a quiet corner of the NHL.

Personally, though, I find him hilarious. In the very best of ways.

If he's in the NHL, Edmonton makes the most sense. They're on the rise and they aren't afraid to spend to the cap to make the playoffs. Florida and Tampa Bay won't want to pay him.

He won't make much in North America, so he'll probably go to the KHL.

Islanders seem like a good fit. He could make a solid team with his countryman Nabakov. Plus he won't have to move his family if he really wants to stay in the NHL.

He doesn't really need KHL money because of his buyout but he still could go back to Russia if he feels he doesn't get a fair enough offer.

Bryzgalov has offers on the table:

Ilya Bryzgalov wants to play in the NHL and is trying to reshape his game to convince teams he's still capable of being a solid No. 1 goalie at this level.

Bryzgalov, 33, has been working out with Farjestad BK of the Sweden Hockey League and goalie coach Erik Granqvist.

The Flyers bought out the remainder of Bryzgalov's contract on June 25 and he remains an unrestricted free agent.

"I had problems when I played, and we discussed it with my agent," Bryzgalov told Russian media outlet sports.ru. "We wanted to find a special who could help find my game again. Erik came highly recommended."

Bryzgalov declined to comment on his departure from the Flyers, who are responsible for paying him $23 million over the next 14 seasons -- roughly $1.642 million per year.

He did, however, indicated that the "Flyers tried to change my game."

The native of Togliatti, Russia, posted a 19-17-3 record with the Flyers this past season, along with a 2.79 goals-against-average and a .900 save percentage.

Bryzgalov, who lives in New Jersey with his family, wants to remain in the NHL, and is hoping to find a new home in the near future.

"I have offers from teams in both the NHL and KHL," he revealed. "My agent is hard at work on it."

In 425 career NHL regular-season games with the Anaheim Ducks, Phoenix Coyotes and Flyers, Bryzgalov has accumulated a 208-149-45 record with a 2.55 goals-against-average, a .913 save percentage and 30 shutouts.

He was originally drafted by the Ducks in the second-round (44th overall) of the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

http://www.thefourth.../phi130806.html

Archived