The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Canucks sign Archibald

elvis15

Sestito does not deserve a spot on the roster, he's a plug. The only time he's put up solid numbers was in his final season in junior. Likely because he was able to dominate much smaller forwards.

At 25 years old, he's done nothing but regress in his development since then. If he was an amazing fighter that would be one thing, but he's just average at best.

This is Gillis not willing to admit that one of his waiver reclamation projects is a plug. And to think we essentially gave up a much more promising Volpatti for him sucks.

His spot should go to one of our young guys like Archibald, Mallet, or Blomstrand.

Sestito does not deserve a spot on the roster, he's a plug. The only time he's put up solid numbers was in his final season in junior. Likely because he was able to dominate much smaller forwards.

At 25 years old, he's done nothing but regress in his development since then. If he was an amazing fighter that would be one thing, but he's just average at best.

This is Gillis not willing to admit that one of his waiver reclamation projects is a plug. And to think we essentially gave up a much more promising Volpatti for him sucks.

His spot should go to one of our young guys like Archibald, Mallet, or Blomstrand.

Or that we don't have anyone in the system that is ready to step into the NHL in that role.

Sometimes coaches will go with the proven NHLer over the unproven rookie because they know what to expect with the first guy.

Hopefully Gillis saying they're injecting some youth is true and not just something he's saying to get fans interest.

Why did he get a 2 year nhl contract then? Gillis obviously sees him in his "process" or he wouldn't have re signed him. Gillis loves his projects and I think Sestito is one. If Archibald outplays Sestito in camp you will see him up with the Canucks in Sestito's spot but I can tell you right now Sestito can be very effective in the 4th line role. I think he's too worried about dropping the gloves than his other parts of his game and I think he needs to focus more on different areas personally. He's a big big body for the 4th line and sometimes you need guys like that. I wouldn't be against Archibald AND Sestito on the same line... 6'3 and 6'5 would be fun to watch.

Totally agree,,,I dont think he won one fight last year,,and that includes Nolan, he got a lucky punch in on that one.. If you are going to have a tough guy,,for Gawds sake get a tough guy.

Not opposed to Archibald on the 4th line,, I honestly think he would be better than Sestito,,,I think there is good upside to Archie.

And there's upside with Sestito. Sestito isn't a tough guy in my eyes. He still has potential to turn himself into a very servicable player but he needs to work on other parts of his game and under Tortorella I think he can turn into something good.

Why did he get a 2 year nhl contract then? Gillis obviously sees him in his "process" or he wouldn't have re signed him. Gillis loves his projects and I think Sestito is one. If Archibald outplays Sestito in camp you will see him up with the Canucks in Sestito's spot but I can tell you right now Sestito can be very effective in the 4th line role. I think he's too worried about dropping the gloves than his other parts of his game and I think he needs to focus more on different areas personally. He's a big big body for the 4th line and sometimes you need guys like that. I wouldn't be against Archibald AND Sestito on the same line... 6'3 and 6'5 would be fun to watch.

He isn't as bad as people are putting him out to be. Sure, he's not as fast or as physical as Volpatti (wish we still had him) but when you watch him play he actually does have a pretty good understanding of the game.

Unlike Volpatti, Sestito is able to carry the puck out of our zone easily and intelligently while that was Volpatti's weakness.

There were even a couple of shifts where he and Kass kept the other team hemmed in their own zone.

The problem with him is that he's simply not fast enough to get that huge hit that Volpatti usually gets, which is what us Canucks fans are used to seeing as effective fourth line play. Despite this however, his strength's are Volpatti's weakness'.

But tbh i would have Volpatti over him

Volpatti was hugely overrated. He got some pretty signficant minutes in Washington while Sestito got buried for 5-7 minutes most games under AV. Despite playing 150% of Sestito's minutes, Volpatti had 2 goals less than Sestito, half the PIM and the same +/-. He fought less and despite his speed, didn't really have the size to do serious damage in his checks.

Volpatti was hugely overrated. He got some pretty signficant minutes in Washington while Sestito got buried for 5-7 minutes most games under AV. Despite playing 150% of Sestito's minutes, Volpatti had 2 goals less than Sestito, half the PIM and the same +/-. He fought less and despite his speed, didn't really have the size to do serious damage in his checks.

Archived