The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aska chef anything!

Magikal

Many do, but it's not as common as it used to be since even though we are in a stressful job we still have learned the health risks on smoking like the rest of you :P

However to say that a large percentage of the workers don't rely on some kind of crutch (alcohol, smoking, drugs etc.) would be a total lie. These things are common in restaurants for all workers not just kitchen workers.

Thanks

Cooking is something I really wish I was good at. I went through a stage a few months ago where I would try to make things. My wife can cook, but isn't good at teaching and just gets frustrated. So I stopped trying to.

I thought the couple things I made tastes good however.

This is actually a pretty sweet thread. From what I've gathered you seem to run things in the kitchen

So my questions to you:

What's the biggest mess up either you or your staff members have committed

Have you ever fired anyone on the spot? Do you have the power to fire someone on the spot?

Do I have the power? yes.

Have I done so in my current kitchen? no. I have before though.

I've screwed up lots just like anyone else after 10 years in the industry but I can't think of one particular incident that stands out as the biggest screw up.

Magikal... You recommend any good restaurants South of the Fraser? Wife and I used to love the Beecher Street Cafe but it unfortunately closed and all that seems to be out here are chain restaurants (Gordon Food Service clones!) and a few decent Indian places.

Archived