The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia: The Establishment

T-rex930

Oh man, thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane. :) That was by far the most epic game I've ever played, and I've played many games both on this forum and off it.

tl;dr for anyone who doesn't want to go through the posted summaries:

-The mafia that game (me, WS/Aerosex, Federer, Sharpshooter) lucked out and killed the Sheriff right away, and so we set up a fake TP alliance that controlled the game, despite two of our members ultimately dying pretty early

-Right at the cusp of victory, someone leaks the story to Intoewsables (our puppet TP leader) and at the same time our "Lackey" (a mafia-friendly TP role) edler rocks betrays us and blocks our kill, resulting in a situation where we didn't win as expected, and now everyone knew the deception

-We had only a small mathematical chance of still winning, and SS and I still somehow managed to navigate it, thanks to some early-game foresight that kept me appearing innocent

Goooood times.

Okay, enough gloating. Back to this game.

Okay, I haven't played in a long time, so I don't know everyone's tendencies here like I did back in the day. But one thing I do know is that the mafia's biggest ally is silence. A quiet convo allows the mafia to hide in the silence, which keeps us from rooting them out.

So everyone: TALK. I realise we have little to go on yet, but at least have every player check in so we know we're all active and listening. If anyone has been PMing you who you're suspicious about, bring it up. If you suspect another player for any quasi-legitimate reason (even just "they're acting funny"), say so. If you've been doing the math and Player Y has/hasn't been mafia in X number of games so odds are they are/aren't this time, well, I'm bad at math, but let's discuss it. We don't necessarily have to vote them out, but let's get some discussion going.

And at the very least, if we have no good leads, let's eliminate the quiet players. They won't be helping our cause by staying silent.

As somebody who was on that mafia team with Master Radishes and Sharpshooter who basically made people cry that game let me say this.

PEOPLE DO NOT TRUST THIS GUY UNLESS THERE IS UNDENIABLE PROOF WITH NO INCOSISTENCIES POINTING TO HIM BEING CLEAN BECAUSE IF YOU DO TRUST HIM HE WILL KILL YOUR PUPPY (METAPHORICALLY) AND YOU WILL THINK IT WAS YOUR FAULT AND SLIP INTO MANIC DEPRESSION.

But if he is trustworthy then listen to everything he says, no questions asked.

As somebody who was on that mafia team with Master Radishes and Sharpshooter who basically made people cry that game let me say this.

PEOPLE DO NOT TRUST THIS GUY UNLESS THERE IS UNDENIABLE PROOF WITH NO INCOSISTENCIES POINTING TO HIM BEING CLEAN BECAUSE IF YOU DO TRUST HIM HE WILL KILL YOUR PUPPY (METAPHORICALLY) AND YOU WILL THINK IT WAS YOUR FAULT AND SLIP INTO MANIC DEPRESSION.

But if he is trustworthy then listen to everything he says, no questions asked.

Okay, I haven't played in a long time, so I don't know everyone's tendencies here like I did back in the day. But one thing I do know is that the mafia's biggest ally is silence. A quiet convo allows the mafia to hide in the silence, which keeps us from rooting them out.

So everyone: TALK. I realise we have little to go on yet, but at least have every player check in so we know we're all active and listening. If anyone has been PMing you who you're suspicious about, bring it up. If you suspect another player for any quasi-legitimate reason (even just "they're acting funny"), say so. If you've been doing the math and Player Y has/hasn't been mafia in X number of games so odds are they are/aren't this time, well, I'm bad at math, but let's discuss it. We don't necessarily have to vote them out, but let's get some discussion going.

And at the very least, if we have no good leads, let's eliminate the quiet players. They won't be helping our cause by staying silent.

Missing the obvious kill in Tiger here. Vote Deb for ruining our fun.

On a serious note, I don't distrust anyone yet to vote for them. I suspect one of the guys who asked to be investigated is the SK, but it's a shot in the dark with the information we have at this point

Vote abstain for now.

-Right at the cusp of victory, someone leaks the story to Intoewsables (our puppet TP leader) and at the same time our "Lackey" (a mafia-friendly TP role) edler rocks betrays us and blocks our kill, resulting in a situation where we didn't win as expected, and now everyone knew the deception

I am not convinced of MR's innocence or guilt but he does give some sound advice (as does Intoewsables).We should be targeting those who are the most silent and not just because history has shown they are more often than not either a mafioso or sk looking to slip through the cracks, but also to keep the game a bit more intriguing and active than the last one (PM's after the ball gets rolling wouldn't hurt either).

As for MR, he will probably be taken out sooner rather than later due to his mafia game celebrity status, so I don't see the point in voting for him now. I plan on waiting to see who posts what before voting for anyone.

The mafias last game were really silent, I imagine it was because there were two mafias instead of one, but one thing I said last game that I'll make sure people realize again, is that the mafia always try to start off the voting and swing it in their favour so they can pick off two people at once (Hanging and their own kill), be aware of that. As I said before, watch for people trying to shoot for pointless reasons to vote people, that's the key. People that vote others without any REAL hard reason should be thought of as suspicious.

The mafias last game were really silent, I imagine it was because there were two mafias instead of one, but one thing I said last game that I'll make sure people realize again, is that the mafia always try to start off the voting and swing it in their favour so they can pick off two people at once (Hanging and their own kill), be aware of that. As I said before, watch for people trying to shoot for pointless reasons to vote people, that's the key. People that vote others without any REAL hard reason should be thought of as suspicious.

Archived