The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not re signing Lapierre will come back to bite the Canucks

мeтpо

I have a bad feeling that not re signing Lappy will come to bite us in the ass.

First of all, not re signing Torres was a big mistake. He was the only guy the Canucks had that could throw punishing hits and actually have the other team afraid to play against him. In my opinion, he was the perfect 4th liner...

Lapierre on another hand, is a very good 4th line or even 3rd line centre. The guy is a loudmouth and gets under the opponents skin but isn't that a good thing? The guy stirs up trouble and is very fun to watch.

I have a feeling next time the Canucks are in the playoffs, they will meet Lappy again and he'll end up scoring a game winner (Torres) or just playing very well.

I think picking up Richardson is a pretty good replacement but why couldn't he just sign both? Imagine a 4th line of Richardson, Lappy, and say.. Weise? Looks like one of the better 4th lines the Canucks would have in recent memory.

This seems all too similar to the Torres and Gelinas situations.

Thoughts?

While I don't feel losing Lappy is the same magnitude as Torres, I feel Lappy was under-rated here. That being said, we shed him because of our bad rep with the refs to be blunt. He and Burrows are trying to re-gain rep with the refs and Lappy can't do it with out a new team.

I don't see it biting us in the ass though.

I wish all the best for Lapierre, I had a space in my heart for that guy.

I have a bad feeling that not re signing Lappy will come to bite us in the ass.

First of all, not re signing Torres was a big mistake. He was the only guy the Canucks had that could throw punishing hits and actually have the other team afraid to play against him. In my opinion, he was the perfect 4th liner...

Lapierre on another hand, is a very good 4th line or even 3rd line centre. The guy is a loudmouth and gets under the opponents skin but isn't that a good thing? The guy stirs up trouble and is very fun to watch.

I have a feeling next time the Canucks are in the playoffs, they will meet Lappy again and he'll end up scoring a game winner (Torres) or just playing very well.

I think picking up Richardson is a pretty good replacement but why couldn't he just sign both? Imagine a 4th line of Richardson, Lappy, and say.. Weise? Looks like one of the better 4th lines the Canucks would have in recent memory.

This seems all too similar to the Torres and Gelinas situations.

Thoughts?

Our fourth line has been a non factor for years now.

Lappy was a solid fourth liner but went quiet the last couple playoff rounds. If he can't bring that intensity consistently in the playoffs, then it was time to make a change.

Oh, and this should only help our reputation with the refs. Apparently Lappy was the only one who didn't buy into the keeping your mouth shut approach the Canucks were trying to employ.

Seems like every player we lose is stated to come back to 'bite' us.

He's a fourth line pesky center. We needed a youth injection, and it's not like we NEEDED him.

Santorelli put up what, 44 points before? If he regains that touch, he can make it. Otherwise, Horvat, Gaunce, or even Lain on the fourth w/ Richardson on the third seems okay.

Removing one player will not change the entire image of a team around the league. Lappy being placed with two skilled wingers seemed to work well at times and he took over "Manny" duties without complaint. It was obvious he wanted to remain here.

We'll see. I know I'll miss the guy.

Archived