The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petition to move 2014 Winter games to Vancouver supported by Star Trek star George Takei and 40,000 others

mbal23

I'll assume for the sake of argument that every event in Vancouver is able to be rescheduled (good luck with the Heritage Classic) and venues refurbished.

Who pays for the skiing/snowboarding infrastructure that took place up in Whistler? Where are athletes going to stay now that the Olympic Village is residential housing - also remembering that they need to be in a secure location, so kiss downtown hotels goodbye. Where are the journalists and reporters going to call as the Media Center now that the new convention centre is in operation? Who pays for the extra policing and law enforcement?

If this was 2018, sure, hand it back to Vancouver where there's adequate time to scrape together a Winter Olympics. With 6 months to go, forget about Vancouver; it's Sochi or nothing.

What right do we have to tell others what to do?

I'm not trying to defend Russian stand on homosexuality, but I do not think we have any right to tell them what to accept and what not to. Lets not turn Canada into another USA.

Also, the petition is silly, Olympics will go as planned.

Your ability to think and reason will be frowned upon. We don't need that in this discussion.

Listen, we already heard what liberal celebrities and right wing pundits have told us to think about Russia and the olympics. Don't go and confuse us with this talk of double standards. We won't stand for such objective discussion!

What right do we have to tell others what to do?

I'm not trying to defend Russian stand on homosexuality, but I do not think we have any right to tell them what to accept and what not to. Lets not turn Canada into another USA.

Also, the petition is silly, Olympics will go as planned.

It`s not ridiculous. How do anyone know you are gay? Do gay people have the letter G stamped on their foreheads?

It is the people who have to define themselves through sexuality are the nuts in the world. Who care what they do in their bedroom. It their own private business.

Getting sick of this debate. Olympics are about leaving politics aside and bringing the world closer thru sport. That is all. Not everyone cares about gay rights and this petition is a joke. So if ignoring the Olympics or pouring out vodka is your stand against Russia's gay stance then great all power to ya. Me, I just want to see some world class Olympic Hockey..... at 3 in the mourning lol.

It`s not ridiculous. How do anyone know you are gay? Do gay people have the letter G stamped on their foreheads?

It is the people who have to define themselves through sexuality are the nuts in the world. Who care what they do in their bedroom. It their own private business.

True, good point, the world (represented by hollywood liberals and Rush Limbaugh types represents global opinion) has spoken.

I'm guessing you were one of the ones protesting the olympics in Canada in 2010 and in the US in 2002?

Sure would look hypocritical of you if you weren't considering we know of the long history of genocide against Indigenous people in these two lands, not to mention the slavery of a continent brought to the US, all out genocidal wars against dozens of countries, coup d'etats in dozens of countries, and continuing bombing, droning of more countries as we speak, not to mention wars and occupations of even more countries, the arming of al-qaida in Syria and Libya to target Shia and Christians, etc.

You guys do understand that, in Russia, you get thrown in jail for being gay and -- if you're lucky -- you're then deported, right? They don't have a history of persecuting gay people as Canada has a history of mistreating the First Nations people, they are currently doing it and have stated that they will continue to do so throughout the Olympic games.

By holding the Olympic games in Russia, you're putting gay athletes and spectators at risk.

Archived