The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Star Gazing Sites in and around Vancouver?

AK-47

Hello fellow star enthusiasts;

I don't know about you, but for me just lying down and gazing up at the night time sky is just absolutely mind-boggling, few experiences are as surreal! If you haven't done so, you definitely should.

Saying that, living in such a bustling city like Vancouver, it is hard to find an optimal spot that'll give you the best views.

I heard there's a dark sky park in Abbotsford, anyone been?

I'd imagine that places a little farther away like Whistler or Squamish might be better for it too.

Currently, I just go to wreck beach time to time or just a random hill that is elevated, but I'd be more than alright to drive a bit of ways to catch a proper glimpse at the beauty that is the night sky.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

The issue is you've literally got to drive miles and miles away from the city or the ambient light will indeed hamper your view. Here is a good example of it. Outside of Vancouver you'll find class 9's, but once you get outside of Whistler, Hope towards serious back country you'll find 5's and 1's stellarium-0.10.0-pollution.jpg

I live in Whistler, definately a good place for stargazing. We have an astronomy club up here that has lot's of info. This summer has been amazing for the northern lights, seen them at least 6 times so far this season. Best places to go are further up 99 towards Pemberton, on the other side of the mountains though Rainbow Park/Weyside Park are great spots too especially up the dock into the middle of the water - check out some cool pics of the Whistler sky here (not mine) https://www.facebook...olm.photography

You really have to get far out into the middle of nowhere to have an awesome experience. I went camping on an island in the middle of Ross Lake and it was incredible. Ross Lake is a big long lake just south of Manning Park. The northern tip is in BC, but we ended up in the US part. There was nothing for miles around.

The sky was incredible. You could see the milky way plain as day spanning across the sky. It's pretty difficult to get to skies that clear, but well worth it.

The issue is you've literally got to drive miles and miles away from the city or the ambient light will indeed hamper your view. Here is a good example of it. Outside of Vancouver you'll find class 9's, but once you get outside of Whistler, Hope towards serious back country you'll find 5's and 1's stellarium-0.10.0-pollution.jpg

Hey Op, if you're looking for a place closer to home Cyprus Mountain is pretty good. I went there last summer during the meteor shower and saw many of them. I was surprised at how many stars were visible from there. It was after the lookout point.

I live on the Sunshine Coast, I can sit on my deck overlooking Vancouver Island and look straight up at the milky way cross over my house across the sky over Van Island.

There is pretty much zero lights here so on any given night I can see dozens of satelites, shooting stars, etc.

Last night I was leaving a store, looked up and there was the space station going overhead, could see it for several minutes indicating how far I could see it before and after it went overhead. Pretty cool as being in one spot watching it as it moves away you can see it arch as it follows it's orbit.

Pretty neat stuff.

If you get a chance to go to the Sunshine Coast, Davis Bay is a good spot to star gaze.

I used to go around the cultus lake exit during meteor showers.. There's a park there on the left side of the highway heading to cultus. Problem is its been so long that I can't remember if its one exit before cultus or the same one! But it's a good spot none the less for gazing, and I'm sure it's not the only one around that area .

Archived