The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bettman on six outdoor games: ‘We can’t do enough of them’

Definitely a fair point. Once the jobs were created, the PA has absolutely tried to protect them. But it was still the NHL alone that created those franchises to begin with, even in markets where they had little, if any, evidence that a hockey team would thrive there. It's also the NHL's decision to not move teams like Phoenix because they want to keep the large TV market in play for their lucrative NBC deals, even though it means propping up a team with too little local support to have a real chance of ever becoming self-sustaining. That's entirely on the NHL.

And I think that's most people's problem. It's not so much that there are 30 teams, which benefits us as fans too because we get to play more teams, have more rivals and generally not just have to watch the same few teams play the same game over and over. The problem is simply that the NHL keeps saying they have to increase ticket prices, charge more and more for any crap with a logo, and then have lockouts because of "poverty" that they brought on themselves. Very few well placed teams are struggling, and most can be saved with only a few years of support. Poorly placed teams, however, will continue to struggle. The NHL keeps them in place only for the TV deals, but then uses the individual teams' financials to claim poverty, all the while pretending we're too dumb to know that they made millions off those teams' TV market share. In short, fans hate Bettman because he's dishonest, treats fans like we're idiots, and generally takes our support for granted.

Furthermore, as I said before, it's not that we don't understand it's a business and that they're in the business to make money. (You know, despite the fact that they're a registered not-for-profit in the US so they don't have to pay their fair share in taxes. Because heaven forbid a multi-billion dollar for-profit organization had to give back.) But, we also know that they treat the game of hockey, and the Stanley Cup (which isn't even their property) as if they were their own invention, their own domain and that we should be grateful they allow us to experience them. They do not own hockey and they should be appreciative to get to borrow the Stanley Cup. Instead, they treat fans like we should thank them whenever they actually have a season and don't have a lockout.

This lockout was a prime example. Despite the fact that they gave up hundreds of millions of legally due salary in the last lockout, players came out of the gate agreeing to give up even more this time. (In fact, players probably gave up more off their legally owed salaries last lockout than the owners gave up in revenue sharing, and they even agreed to allow owners to discount many of the costs of running the team before their share was calculated, meaning players help pay for costs.) But, it wasn't enough for Bettman or the greedy owners (most of whom are making money hand over fist, if not from the team itself from the lucrative arena deals they get thanks to using the team as an anchor tenant). They dragged out the lockout far longer than necessary to try to squeeze every drop of blood they could before finally relenting just when their self-imposed deadline approached so they could salvage part of a season. And why not? Fans flocked back in record numbers and yet again they faced no consequences for their actions. They're like the US banks. They can do anything they want and never have to pay for their misdeeds. That is what leaves a seriously bad taste in my mouth and I'm sure other people's as well.

We will have to agree to disagree. You make some legitimate points about excesses the NHL have done. I cannot agree that ownership is as corrupt and calculating as you suggest.

What is more important is that you do not put forward a alternative suggestion for the development of pro hockey in North America. Are you advocating for a community owned league equivalent to the CFL? I understand that there are privately owned teams in the CFL. They also have a CAP that shares even less money with the players.

Any other plan to expand NHL revenue other than the current one of signing media deals condemns the long term success of the league. Gate receipts cannot provide enough revenue to support the NHL at the level it exists at currently.

Archived