The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phoenix from the ashes, perhaps?

THEluminiferousAETHER

As a mere synapse within this, sometime mentally ill, mind that is the collective consciousness of the Vancouver Canucks fan base, I have decided to fire off a parcel of opinion in to this brain.

It seems to me, after reading posts and articles that the majority vote is to bail, because this team is a sinking ship. The term "window of opportunity" comes to mind, and the closing of said window. (I would like to remind some people of a team called the Detroit red wings). It is as if the red wings had heard about these "window's", smashed it , the proceeded to grab hockey by the neck and say "you didn't see nothin here" to which hockey replies "Yes Mr. Detroit, you continue on the be the most recent, of what you can call a dynasty."

Are we Detroit? Well no. All i am saying is that we don't have to necessarily focus on these windows as if our time of cup opportunity must be coming to an end (or already has). I am of the opinion that there is no formula of failure that we are seeing here in Van this year. I'm not sure these formulas can even be taken into account at this point either. If there is a formula its a calculation that starts in the pre season, and no final equation is reached until seasons end.

What i am seeing is a team that look alot healthier then they did this time last year, so perhaps we can focus on that?

We have young talent, a goaltender situation that is at least 15 time closer to being sorted out then a year ago, and a much needed new coach to bring a new what I hope is some media control to this team. And that's why I believe Torts is the right guy for this team, and as long as his Temper is merely a tool and not an unstable and uncontrolled emotionally turmoil, I'm sure I'll even develop a respect for him. (Torts being a coach I have only recently become anything close to familiar with.)

I believe that he will be a shield from the almost, disgusting at time's, media. A huge qieght of the players shoulder's in that case. I don't think this will be a team, under his leadership, that will just lay down in the playoffs and have a little nap. So I'm glad that, in no way, do i see us getting bowled over this upcoming post season. Most of all, and i do know this is more of a wish list then anything, I see a new level of needed respect for Loungo.

Why don't we calm down about him not talking. I wouldn't want to talk either. I would want to enjoy my vacation! If anything its to this organizations credit that they have helped put up these media barriers for the good of his metal state. not that Lou needs protection mind you. He's mentally tough as anyone ever could be', bursting with good character, and I for one feel nothing but appreciation even have the opportunity to have him in net again.

There should be no mistake on the fact that Lou is great. Coming from Two terrible teams, then to a Par Vancouver team, he has managed to win an amazing amount of games and will surpass his hero Fuhr! This is no small feat!

Over all I foresee positive thing's if anything. The questions the fans are raising are valid mind you, and our right to raise them. but I would just like to urge some of you to ask one thing, who was Burrows 6 years ago? Spots in the line up will be filled. This team will be fine, and i call out anyone who thinks otherwise to lend their support, because it will help.

Does anyone else feel like the Canucks fanbase is getting ever-so-slightly more level headed these days? Maybe losing in the 1st round twice caused people to check their expectations or watch another sport but posts like this never used to be written less than a year ago.

When it comes to Lu, I think he's gotten a commitment from MG and Torts that they'll place interference with the media and Lu will play the game. Hopefully this is the case for many of our young players as well who can develop and make mistakes without being grilled for it every night. It certainly can't hurt.

Oh, and I always thought the "window" talk was BS. That was for bandwagoners who got mad we didn't win the cup the last 3 years straight.

Great post OP, I read the whole wall of text. This the type of positivity that fans need, and should have when talking about their own team. There is realism that needs to be taken as well though, such as Horvat making the line up for example, he's simply too young.

I am very much so looking forward to this season for all the same reasons you are. Once again, great post.

Does anyone else feel like the Canucks fanbase is getting ever-so-slightly more level headed these days? Maybe losing in the 1st round twice caused people to check their expectations or watch another sport but posts like this never used to be written less than a year ago.

When it comes to Lu, I think he's gotten a commitment from MG and Torts that they'll place interference with the media and Lu will play the game. Hopefully this is the case for many of our young players as well who can develop and make mistakes without being grilled for it every night. It certainly can't hurt.

Oh, and I always thought the "window" talk was BS. That was for bandwagoners who got mad we didn't win the cup the last 3 years straight.

It only seems that way because a lot of those bandwagon fans jumped off after this latest first round exit. Fine by me.

Cleaned up the paragraphs for ya.

Archived