The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Mike Gillis have a bad reputation around the league?

hyrule

Lack of trading? Not sure how many trades a year you think an average GM will make, especially in the cap world. Canucks would like a high face off %, big, fast 3rd line centre...well so does the rest of the league. Ditto for proven scoring wingers with size and speed. All other trades would be rearranging the deck chairs and wouldn't impress people here anyways.

Forced/rushed? It took about 14 months lol. IMO Horvat will turn out great and considering we have Luo and Lack/Eriksson ready to come up, he was basically a spare part. Luo wouldn't have fetched as much. Maybe if MG didn't wait to long on Luo.

I'm happy with the turnout of Horvat and keeping our other first as well.

MG's reputation around the league is that he gets easily ripped off. I think this reputation developed when he traded Cody Hodgson (All signs pointing to a first line center) for Zac Kassian (Big, physical, but looks like a bust). Actually, I am pretty sure this reputation is why MG had trouble trading away Luongo. All the GMs ever interested in Luongo wanted a steal out of it.

And congrats to MG for further strengthening the reputation this summer with the Schneider trade. Literally, the Canuck's janitor could have gotten more than a 9th overall pick for Schneider.

Yeah, I meant GMs forced Gillis to make a trade on Schneider the day before trade deadline day (thats when the deal was actually made) It was reported Schneider was available on the market a week before trade deadline, and we all know Gillis likes to take his time. I agree Horvat looks to turn out great!

MG's reputation around the league is that he gets easily ripped off. I think this reputation developed when he traded Cody Hodgson (All signs pointing to a first line center) for Zac Kassian (Big, physical, but looks like a bust). Actually, I am pretty sure this reputation is why MG had trouble trading away Luongo. All the GMs ever interested in Luongo wanted a steal out of it.

And congrats to MG for further strengthening the reputation this summer with the Schneider trade. Literally, the Canuck's janitor could have gotten more than a 9th overall pick for Schneider.

I think Mike's reputation as a player agent has tainted his reputation as a GM. He's not a very personable guy and not very forthcoming, and I believe his inexperience as a gm has hurt his dealings with other gms, so, I believe he's not very well regarded

I feel he does.

There was talk about how him being a player agent before a GM caused him to get a bad reputation around the league with certain GM's..

I feel Tallon is the only GM he has a good reputation with hence why the Canucks deal with them so often.

Could his lack of trading of recent (ignoring the Schneider trade) reflect on the fact that GMs don't want to deal with him?

How about free agents? Do some of them have some negative experiences or have been told some negative things about Gillis from their former GMs that they don't want to sign here because of it?

It is a question I will always want to know the answer to but I don't think you can get factual evidence of it unless someone speaks out but it's just something I noticed..

What do you think?

I don't think so, but he seems to have a bad reputation amongst many Canucks fans which could likely distort their perception of the matter.

He's a businessman trying to improve his club who interacts with a bunch of other businessmen who are trying to improve their clubs. Aside from Nonis I doubt there's any bad blood.

But that's just my two cents.

WELL...

A very good family friend is a scout with a Western conf team, he's very good friends with many people in the biz, and I asked him about Gillis when I was back in BC in June.

He told me that Gillis does have a bad rep, and even within the organization. He said Delorme and the scouting staff have been asking GMMG to draft WHL players for quite some time now and all MG does is override them ALL THE TIME.

He also said (rhetorically) to ask Snepsts what he thinks of Grabner--HS was apparently fuming.

And about AV and his apparent hate on and favouritism of some players... 100% true.

FWIW

WELL...

A very good family friend is a scout with a Western conf team, he's very good friends with many people in the biz, and I asked him about Gillis when I was back in BC in June.

He told me that Gillis does have a bad rep, and even within the organization. He said Delorme and the scouting staff have been asking GMMG to draft WHL players for quite some time now and all MG does is override them ALL THE TIME.

He also said (rhetorically) to ask Snepsts what he thinks of Grabner--HS was apparently fuming.

And about AV and his apparent hate on and favouritism of some players... 100% true.

FWIW

Archived