The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We know what other fans think of us.

5Fivehole0

Canuck fan base  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Benchsplinters asks:

Why should an official not make a call against a player who he knows is diving...

Hmmm. Who he knows is diving...assumes is diving...wants to believe is diving...or just wants to get even with - because he was duped into thinking that player wasn't diving in a previous game? These were the issues of Auger-gate.

Each game should play-out on its' own merits. Auger left no room for a player's repentance & arguably told that player he was biased against him before the NHL game began....then he officiated a game that proved it. Auger ended Burr's historical 3 hatricks in 4 games bid...when he threw him in the box on a phantom call & tossed-him from the game as he emerged....still 1 goal shy of that mark. Auger made several questionable-calls & non-calls thru-out that game. A young frustrated player who had played an honest game..spoke for 20 seconds while on an exercise bike,...& got himself roasted for it. Luongo - who was the team captain's at the time...couldn't stop him (en francais) fast enough. I personally admired Burr's passion, honesty, openess & the transparency of his revelations. Just the facts.

There are approximately 45 qualified referees employed by the NHL...why then is the NHLOA still knowingly assigning referees with publicly & privately-known biases to key games or match-ups that end-up determining outcomes for a play-off series...or even the SC Championship? The IIHF on the other-hand...does their best to prevent this.

A border-line hit can be called at anytime...but the consequences of that hit could & probably should be evaluated after watching the available video-replay of the infraction that caused the suspected-injury to a player...when that injury halts a game. This would help on-ice officials to get the call right..& during the game when it matters. It would also be easing tensions upon the ice & thru-out the game - post-incident.

Modern technology is available in the NHL. They should USE it...because, yes, the game is very fast. It has been proposed before...but so far the League's king-pins have blocked those proposals. Hmmmm. I am left wondering...why? Leaving more room for manipulations...or increasing the atmosphere for more permissable violence...maybe? I dunno.

The NHL has the best officials in the world. Yes they make some bad calls and yes they miss a few. To say there is a conspiracy entrenched amongst official is totally ludicrous, immature and represents a whining image of all those that support such a stupid suggestion. The diving, mouthing and crap some Vancouver players instigate, manifests the image around the league that Vancouver must live with. I am hoping Torts will intervene and stop that crap. Some of our players need to pay more attention to how they play the game rather than how they can fool an official into making a call. I am not suggesting for one minute our players should be mute out there and play like puppets, but there is also a level of professionalism that they should not fall below.

I officiated for many years in junior hockey and can attest that officials do make mistakes. It is most difficult to officiate a game with having to deal with normal hockey play, but when the players insert their shananigans into the play of the game as well, it makes it more difficult to call a game. Having been a referee, I too get critical of some of the calls I observe being made in the NHL however I also have the past experience to understand that things are happening so fast out there all at once, I understand the reason for mistakes and seldom verbalize my personal feelings about a missed call or mistake knowing it would be most hypocritical of me to do so.

For those who remain critical of the officiating no matter what, I know for certain they have no idea what it is like to referee a hockey game; they have never officiated a game and they really don't have a real perception of what the game is all about. They whine and complain simply because they can and officials accept having to work in that atmosphere and do the majority of time.

Besides who else is to blame for a hockey teams loss - yes, lay that one on the referees too, everyone else on the ice during the game was absolutely perfect in how they played!!! :=)

Benchsplinters says:

Why should an official not make a call against a player who he knows is diving or why should he not ignore making a call with the same circumstances?

A border line hit anytime in the game in my opinion may have been an intent to injure. Officials should call them at all times. It is the officials responsibility to protect players. It should make no difference if it is overtime or in the first minute of the first period.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Uh - who he knows is diving...assumes is diving...wants to believe is diving...or just wants to get even with - because he was duped into thinking that player was diving in a previous game? These were the issues of Auger-gate.

Each game should play-out on its' own merits. Auger left no room for a player's repentance & arguably told that player he was biased against him - before the game began....then officiated a game that proved it. Auger ended Burr's historical 3 hatricks in 3 games bid...when he tossed the player from the game...1 goal shy of that mark. Auger made questionable & phantom calls or non-calls thru-out. A very young & frustrated player who had played an honest game..spoke for 20 seconds and was then roasted for it.

With approximately 45 refs in this league...why is the NHLOA still knowingly assigning referees with publicly & privately-known "biases' to key games & match-ups that determine outcomes in the standings, play-off games or even SC Championships? The IIHF does their best to prevent this.

A "border-line" hit can be called at anytime...but the consequences of that hit could & probably should be evaluated after watching the available video-replays of infractions that cause injury or a suspected injury to a player and halts the game. This would help on-ice officials to get their calls right...in the game THAT matters & it would ease tensions upon the ice & thru-out the game post-incident.

Modern technology is available in the NHL. They should USE it...because the game is very fast. It has been proposed before...but so far the League's king-pins have blocked those proposals. Hmmmm. I am left wondering...why? More room for manipulations...or atmosphere for permissable violence...maybe. I dunno.

What?! Pour out the "Cherry" eastern-media poured kool-aid you've been drinking. You say...the 'Nucks are a team of whiners, divers & players without integrity. WHO coined THAT and WHEN? Think about it. The league has been full of players attempting antics to get an edge,...but the Canucks haven't been the worst culprits, lately or back then. Cue the best diving,...Kings & Sharks clips now. Who are the serial over-reactors in the league? The tag placed upon the 'Nucks "served its' purpose"... at the time.

Best refereeing in the world? Not by a long-shot - anymore. The IIHF has effectivelyclosed the gap...and apparently works much harder at removing biases from their officiating assignments. Henrik & Daniel Sedin, couldn't be any better examples of sportsmanship & integrity. They've demonstrated MORE discipline & integrity than most of the players who have EVER played the game. It's insufferable to think the CBC, who are media partners with NHL kingpins, allowed 2 HNIC personalities to relentlessly attempt character assassination of the Sedins....on a national TV.... for months. Then when vitually no one was watching - meekly apologize. That complicit act - should be shaming 'em forever.

I have also officiated sports where my judgements & calls were questioned. Not hockey tho' . If controversy arose...I sought other officials for clarification...spoke to the captains.... or to coaches post-match - if warranted. I was always willing to make my decision-making process transparent. I was open to the possibility - that I could be in error. Somethimes errors are correctable. Sometime they are NOT. But - I owned all of my decisions...right or wrong. Iwas willing to defend 'em or apologize for 'em as required. When will we ever see that - from some of the folks in the NHLOA?

Openess, transparency & accountability...kills controversy & conpiracy theories.

Auger publicly said nothin. That MLB official owned his error that ruined a perfect game. He apologized for it. It changed nothin'... as you say...'cept made him a more respectable man of integrity. That act flipped a bad situation into the feel good sports story of the year. It also, temporarily...reflected well upon MLB officials & their directors. That's the "better" example - that I would like set for my children...for politicians,...police officiers, or administrators who occasionally mess-up! That's the respect you EARN...from accountability.

The silence on the NHLOA's erratic refereeing standards & the poor calls made by some of the NHL's most veteran officials....has fostered a distrust of the entire entity. With their silence - there's no proof that our suspicions of "improper game management" are unfounded. Avoidance: is one of the 1st strategies used...by the guilty.

The Dept. of Player Safety's video-assessments provide a little transparency...but well after the fact. Nor do they address infractions...that they selectively choose NOT to fine or assess supplimental discipline (Lucic on Miller...or Chara on Pacioretty). Why won't they let a game official or 2 do that? When stoppages occur in a game after a player has been injured or has caused the game to be halted.... it wouldn't be an infringment to reveiw video-replay as trainers assess or treat an injured player. Teams should clear the ice...& video feeds from all sources - should be carefully reveiwed. Even - arena fans get to reveiw what they're shown. The appropriate penalty could then, be more properly applied - after some simple clarification. Whoever has a problem with that...has ulterior motivatives... that I cannot appreciate.

FYI - I form my own opinions on the facts...as I see or witness them for myself...primarily. Secondly, from what I may garner from the sources - that I know to be trustworthy. Thirdly...from my own common sense, practical experiences & instincts. How do you assess the truth?

Openess, transparency & accountability...kills controversy & conpiracy theories.

Auger publicly said nothin. That MLB official owned his error that ruined a perfect game. He apologized for it. It changed nothin'... as you say...'cept made him a more respectable man of integrity. That act flipped a bad situation into the feel good sports stories of the year. It also, temporarily...reflected well upon MLB officials & their directors. That's the "better" example - that I would like set for my children...for politicians,...police officiers, or administrators who occasionally mess-up! That's the respect you EARN...from accountability.

The silence on the NHLOA's erratic refereeing standards & the poor calls made by some of the NHL's most veteran officials....has fostered a distrust of the entire entity. With their silence - there's no proof that our suspicions of "improper game management" are unfounded. Avoidance: is one of the 1st strategies used...by the guilty.

The Dept. of Player Safety's video-assessments provide a little transparency...but well after the fact. Nor do they address infractions...that they selectively choose NOT to fine or assess supplimental discipline (Lucic on Miller...or Chara on Pacioretty). Why won't they let a game official or 2 do that? When stoppages occur in a game after a player has been injured or has caused the game to be halted.... it wouldn't be an infringment to reveiw video-replay as trainers assess or treat an injured player. Teams should clear the ice...& video feeds from all sources - should be carefully reveiwed. Even - arena fans get to reveiw what they're shown. The appropriate penalty could then, be more properly applied - after some simple clarification. Whoever has a problem with that...has ulterior motivatives... that I cannot appreciate.

FYI - I form my own opinions on the facts...as I see or witness them for myself...primarily. Secondly, from what I may garner from the sources - that I know to be trustworthy. Thirdly...from my own common sense, practical experiences & instincts. How do you assess the truth?

One has to look at Canucks fans in context. This team has not won a cup in it's history. And fans of other clubs take great pleasure in rubbing our noses into it. Due to a spin of a wheel, we missed out on drafting a hall of fame forward. We've gone through countless jersey changes (And fans STILL can't agree on the best jersey). We've had one fluke Cup run in 82. We had an excellent team in 1994 and we lost the Stanley Cup by a single goal. And the team didn't show up in Game 7 when it mattered in 2011.

We've had a long history of mismanagement, blown draft picks. We traded a 1st rounder and Cam Neely and got shafted by one of the worst trades in NHL history. Only to years later trade Stojanov for Markus Naslund for one of the greatest trades in history. It is no wonder that some long suffering fans are impatient. We also seem to suffer from Eastern Bias as TSN/Sportsnet/CBC are all based out of Toronto.

Oddly enough, even though we will probably never get the respect the team deserves. When we do win the cup a lot of this perception will vanish, because winning cures a lot of ills.

Go Canucks Go!

:)

Ferraro brought up an excellent suggestion on refs and the rules. And I thought it was a great idea.

During the offseason, you get a 1-2 team reps from each hockey club, all the referees and some people from league head office. You put them in a conference room together and with video examples, you go through the rulebook, page 1 to the end. The refs and player reps and the league all agree on what is a penalty and what isn't. The meeting should be recorded and video examples of the calls should be made. When the meeting is over. The player reps go back to their respective teams and now everyone knows what's a penalty and what isn't. Honest, transparent, and everyone is on the same page.

BTW the NHL does not have the worst refs. The NBA does. When they had the scandal of ref's betting on games, I notice the league didn't make sure this was a problem amongst players or OTHER refs. It is well known that the star players get breaks, and losing teams, constantly stay losing teams, because the ref's never give them the calls.

Not true, the Chicago situation was different. The team drove fans away for years by not spending money to retain/attract talent,

alienating their heros of the past, making fans pay to see games on TV, and just having overall poor hockey management. Since Rocky Wirtz took over the team they've done a complete turnaround and the fans have come back. The fans were always there, but for a long time the team didn't given them a reason to come out.

Most Canucks fans are great, but the only thing they can be guilty of is an excessive case of homerism. All fans are homers to a certain degree, but I find some Canucks fans take it to the extreme.

I said it was a stereotype to be ignored. Just like Canuck fans should about ours.

And Chicago has extreme homers too. Like those that believe Keith just was fully justified in trying to end Sedin's career? Yes? Tip of the iceberg. Fans that think their team are angels while the rivals are devils.

I agree that Chicago has it's fair share of homers. However, not many fans (if any) felt Keith was justified in his action against Sedin. It's quite the opposite actually, many fans are calling for the team to remove the "A" from his jersey and give it to Seabrook because of Keith's lack of discipline at times (i.e. Keith and Carter in the playoffs).

Did Edler's hit on Staal generate the same anger as Keith on Sedin? No, but it was just as bad (give or take). But I find a big difference between Canucks fan on the internet and Canucks fans in person, but that's probably the case across the league. In person most (if not all) Canucks fans I speak with are very reasonable, and maybe too hard on the team at times.

I was at game 6 in boston , and I saw B's fans spitting at people wearing canucks jersies ... There were a lot of classless bums in that building ... You can't generalize in saying a whole fan base is rotten .. there are always some spoiled apples in the bunch .. saying that ,, when the nucks win a stanley cup , maybe the abuse we take will stop ..

I was at game 6 in boston , and I saw B's fans spitting at people wearing canucks jersies ... There were a lot of classless bums in that building ... You can't generalize in saying a whole fan base is rotten .. there are always some spoiled apples in the bunch .. saying that ,, when the nucks win a stanley cup , maybe the abuse we take will stop ..

I really don't care what other people think of us fans. If they hate us, I will not lose any sleep.

One thing is for sure, we all have strong opinions on what we think is best for this team. I believe the important thing to remember is we are cheering for the same team and stand united when our team succeeds or tumbles because "We are all Canucks".

I do like that slogan.

Yup. Way to answer your own question. When the reffing was mediocre, best that can be expected for a Canadian team in this era, Canucks were up 2-0. When the threat of a sweep or a win in 5 games by the Canucks became a real possibility, you better believe Campbell and Jacobs weren't going to allow that to happen.

If you think otherwise you either did not watch the series or simply didn't understand what you were seeing.

Archived