The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oprah Says She Faced Racism When A Clerk Told Her She Could Not Afford A $38,000 Purse

DonLever

On one hand, that is a pretty common racial slight in North American, it happened to me most recently at a cookware place, OTOH, she wasn't in North America.

I'm just surprised she wasn't recognized though, I mean I saw Oprah's face everywhere when I was in Europe over 20 years ago

Rich people problems.

I doubt they would have shown that purse to me either, and I'm an early 30's white male. Would it be discrimination against the blue jeans I wear? It seems like the racism angle is assumed, rather than supported by evidence.

Poor customer service? Sure. But we're talking about a billionaire buying a $38,000 purse. I. Don't. Care.

Rich people problems.

I doubt they would have shown that purse to me either, and I'm an early 30's white male. Would it be discrimination against the blue jeans I wear? It seems like the racism angle is assumed, rather than supported by evidence.

Poor customer service? Sure. But we're talking about a billionaire buying a $38,000 purse. I. Don't. Care.

What a pig, a 38 K purse?......Must be supply and demand, hmmm? LOL this world is screwed. YES, the real problem here is that the person wouldn't show her the purse......and in another incident she was turned away at the door after the store had been closed for 15 minutes to the general public? Ummm, that's the way it works you elitist pig!!! Maybe someone should make/sing you and your friend Tina Turner a song titled "What's race got to do with it"

Rough life there, Oprah.

It's sort of a reverse "don't you know who I am?" moment. Woman didn't know, treated her no differently than the average poor person is treated on a daily basis. Welcome to the real world. Happens to the average Joe everyday, mainly because of people with far too much money who can buy $40,000 purses and are placed on a pedestal as a result. Some of us don't make that in a year, so quit feeling hard done by, "O". The money and power that take you to that spot also mean there are objects fetching thousands of times what they're worth and, as a result, people cater to only those able to attain them.

It's a big picture problem to do with status, not race. Money talks. And Oprah's was muted when someone didn't recognize it, poor dear. I actually applaud that this person didn't have a falling all over herself episode as many would have. Oprah is playing the race card inappropriately here and, in doing so, it's damaging and diminishes the real acts of racism that deserve attention. Don't cry wolf because it tends to have people tune out in the end.

Rich people problems.

Rough life there, Oprah.

It's sort of a reverse "don't you know who I am?" moment. Woman didn't know, treated her no differently than the average poor person is treated on a daily basis. Welcome to the real world. Happens to the average Joe everyday, mainly because of people with far too much money who can buy $40,000 purses and are placed on a pedestal as a result. Some of us don't make that in a year, so quit feeling hard done by, "O". The money and power that take you to that spot also mean there are objects fetching thousands of times what they're worth and, as a result, people cater to only those able to attain them.

It's a big picture problem to do with status, not race. Money talks. And Oprah's was muted when someone didn't recognize it, poor dear. I actually applaud that this person didn't have a falling all over herself episode as many would have. Oprah is playing the race card inappropriately here and, in doing so, it's damaging and diminishes the real acts of racism that deserve attention. Don't cry wolf because it tends to have people tune out in the end.

Rich people problems.

i think the point she is making is not a rich person problem. yes she has enough money to buy a small country. the fact is that she wasnt recognized was not the issue that troubled her. It is precisely because that the clerk didnt recognize her (that's why she pointed out she is italian), and judged her based on her appearance/race alone. She got to experience what most people get treated like, without the celebrity and fame. Whether it is racism is not clear. It can be just that the clerk thinks she is not rich enough. Who knows.

who cares how much the purse is? they are wealthy and can afford it. I'm not the one to judge.

Would it be different if it was a $40,000 car, and the dealer think you can't afford it because they "think" you look like a low middle class white woman? I think most people will feel offended when being treated like that when buying a merchandise.

No one would question a person looking to buy a 40 K car, as that is a sane thing to do. A purse on the other hand, you have to be careful with those indiduals! I know the cost of the purse is relative to what she has, but it doesn't matter.

Archived