The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If it was possible and you had the choice, would you have kept Erhoff and move Edler instead?

TheMohammadman

If you had the choice, would you have kept Erhoff instead of Edler?  

217 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure where this idea that Edler doesn't have a good shot came from. He has the best shot on the team and the hardest too.

What separated Ehrhoff from him was Ehrhoff's ability to get pucks through on the powerplay. That was when we had the number one powerplay in the league though.

It's up to the new coaching staff to get our powerplay going again. It got way too stale and predictable under Brown in the last couple years. They didn't utilize the point shot nearly enough despite having two cannons for shots in Garrison and Edler on the back end.

I'm sure the new coaching staff will get them to simplify. Pass to the point and one time it. It's not complicated. So many times in the last couple years they would pass to the point, hold onto it, and then look for a shot. It's too late by that point.

Every so often some has to drag out the dead horse named Ehrhoff and beat on him some more. No one wants Anson Carter yet he had 30 some gaols playing the Sedins one season and then tried to cash in. Most people seem to hate him for the same thing Ehrhoff did (signed for the cake).

Ehrhoff was voted 9th in Norris Trophy voting that season. We haven't had a top-10 defenceman since. Edler has the potential, but unless he gets his act together next season he should be traded. Hamhuis and Bieksa are very solid 2nd pairing D-men, but no better, and people are underestimating how important Salo was to this team. Worth every cent of the 3.75M contract he just signed.

From 2011:

Edler - Ehrhoff

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Salo - Tanev

Ballard

That defence had the absolute perfect mix of size and physicality (Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis), puck-moving ability (Edler, Bieksa, Ehrhoff), big shots (Ehrhoff, Edler, Salo) and solid defensive play (Salo, Hamhuis, Tanev), as well as youth and experience (Tanev, Salo).

Right now, our defence is very one-dimensional and that's a problem. We don't have a guy like Ehrhoff who could easily evade defensive pressure by making a quick pass up the ice, and it shows. Every single shift our D-men struggle to get the puck out and turn it over. What's worse is, losing Salo means our younger guys look far more skittish out on the ice and the lack of a veteran presence is clear.

I know everybody gets tired of still hearing about Ehrhoff...I would have still kept Edler,but the Canucks have never replaced Ehrhoff....When Ehrhoff was on the Canucks,the speed of the breakout was really something.,they really miss that element of a puck rushing d-man.

I think long term, Edler is the better out of the two, I liked Ehrhoff, he was a PP quarterback, who could score, play excellant defense, hit, and drop the gloves. But the guy was 29 at the time and he was wanting a 5+ year deal and we all know how Gillis feels about signing players until they are 35, or signing players long term for that matter. Edler had/ and still has more potential then Ehrhoff ever would have, Ehrhoff was a forward playing as a defenseman and a player with that kind of playing style can only be good for such a short amount of time. By sheer stats Edler is better then Ehrhoff but it would have been cool to see them still playing together without losing Bieksa. Closing point: Edler > Ehrhoff

Edler will shut all you Edler-haters up!

He's a great defender and will continue to be a great defender for many years to come. I hope we don't trade him, cause he's the real deal.

Ehrhoff is also a very good defender, in an optimal situation, we would have kept both, both considering Ehrhoffs contract, we had to let him go... and we better hope we dont let Edler go... he is and will continue to be Canucks #1 defender.

Ehrhoff had so much synergy with our offensive players it's not even funny. It's not a coincidence that our top guys had career years during his 2-year stint here.

Edler has always been a sidekick, and it appears he always will be. WIthout Ohlund, Salo, or Ehrhoff as a partner, he simply can't handle the pressure by himself.

And Buffalo overpaid to get Ehrhoff to sign with them. We don't know if Ehrhoff would have asked for the same contract with MG. All MG did was offer the "Bieksa contract" to Ehrhoff as a take it or leave it. And that would be insulting to me, cuz Ehrhoff carried the team in an injury riddled season in the backend. He was playing 25-30 mins a game for 1/3 of the season while helping the Sedin's to career years again.

Ballard should have been cut loose long ago (instead he was bought out for nothing). I'd still take Ehrhoff over "grrr... Bieksa!" any day. Bieksa is also a sidekick as he has never been able to elevate his play without having a defensive crutch to lean on, ie. Mitchell/Hamhuis.

Ehrhoff had so much synergy with our offensive players it's not even funny. It's not a coincidence that our top guys had career years during his 2-year stint here.

Edler has always been a sidekick, and it appears he always will be. WIthout Ohlund, Salo, or Ehrhoff as a partner, he simply can't handle the pressure by himself.

And Buffalo overpaid to get Ehrhoff to sign with them. We don't know if Ehrhoff would have asked for the same contract with MG. All MG did was offer the "Bieksa contract" to Ehrhoff as a take it or leave it. And that would be insulting to me, cuz Ehrhoff carried the team in an injury riddled season in the backend. He was playing 25-30 mins a game for 1/3 of the season while helping the Sedin's to career years again.

Ballard should have been cut loose long ago (instead he was bought out for nothing). I'd still take Ehrhoff over "grrr... Bieksa!" any day. Bieksa is also a sidekick as he has never been able to elevate his play without having a defensive crutch to lean on, ie. Mitchell/Hamhuis.

Transparent much?!!!!

Holy crap duders...you hate Juice. You shoulda just cut to the chase and just said so instead of shrouding it with soft commentary on Hoff.

And your proposal is just flat out silly. Juice is not even half as horrible as you want him to be. If you had your way with the NHL world, he would be coveted.

You do realize capeable RH d-men are rare.

While Ehrhoff's numbers don't look great in Buffalo, they are good relative to his teammates.

In 11-12 he lead defensemen in scoring (6th on team) and all players in minutes played. Last season he again lead defensemen in points, was 6th on the team in scoring, averaged 25:11 per game (second highest was 21:18) all while leading the team in +/- with a +6. He was vital for 5 on 5, power play, and did his part on the pk too. He was also 2nd on the team in blocked shots with 81.

Edler is fairly similar on a lot of stats but he was a -5 on team that was a +8 vs Ehrhoff who was a +6 on a team that was a -7. In Vancouver Ehrhoff was a +55 vs Edler's +13 over those years.

Archived