The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Podcasts - What Do You Listen To?

Wilbur

Just curious to hear about what other people here listen to with regards to podcasts. I drive from Langley to Chilliwack everyday so have a lot of time to listen to them as there is only so much Team 1040 one can listen to.

Some of my favourites:

WTF with Marc Maron

Twice a week for 60-90 minutes Marc Maron (alt comedy comic) interviews someone in the comedy or music world. Interviews are personal, indepth, and hilarious.

Extraenvironmentalist, Featured Voices - Peak Prosperity (w/ Chris Martenson), and the KunstlerCast

Podcast discusses a variety of issues such as the environment, farming, economics, etc.

Podcacher

Once a week hour or so long podcast of geocaching goodness :)

Real Time with Bill Maher

Don't have HBO so the audio version of the show will have to do

The Sunday Edition from CBC Radio

My favourite podcast from CBC radio, close behind are Quirks and Quarks, The House, and Ideas.

McAlvany Weekly and Money Talks with Michael Campbell

Political differences aside both are good summaries of the week in economics

Caustic Soda - http://www.causticsodapodcast.com/ - "A Weekly Podcast About Science, Horrible News, and Humour"

It's three guys based out of Vancouver, each week they take a random topic and tell all sorts of true historical events related to it. For example, for the Music episode, they talked about

-The CIA using music as a form of torture

-How back in the day in Italy, they would castrate young boys to sing falsetto in the opera

-Some Norwegian metal band where the singer murdered the guitarist, then used pictures of his dead body as an album cover

Crazy stuff like that. Often gruesome but they have a great sense of black humour.

For sheer weirdness, nothing beats Welcome To Night Vale, a fictional radioshow for a fictional town, kind of in the same vein as Twin Peaks. Apparently it's the #1 podcast in the US, which surprises me:

“A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep,” begins the pilot episode to the most popular podcast in the U.S. and several other countries around the world —“Welcome To Night Vale.”

Created and written by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor, “Welcome To Night Vale” is a podcast aired twice a month, done in the style of a radio show providing up-to-date community news on the isolated and bizarre (and thankfully, fictional) town of Night Vale.

Good thread. It's hard to find good podcasts.

The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show - Usually interesting guests every week and usually people and topics you've never heard or thought about. Easily the best podcast out there, but it has its good episodes and its bad episodes.

My Brother, My Brother and Me - "An advice show for the modern era", or three brothers make fun of Yahoo! Answers questions and occasionally advise listeners on their ridiculous problems. It's kind of an acquired taste.

Pop Culture Happy Hour - NPR's semi-pretentious film, tv, etc. podcast

99% Invisible - Design and history stuff, but not as boring as it sounds.

Harmontown - Dan Harmon (the Community guy) rambling.

The Star Wars Minute - Each podcast they analyze one minute of Star Wars, so they're 9 hours in without getting to Han Solo

Planet Money - Economics.

For hockey:

Marek vs Wyshynski

The Backhand Shelf

Archived