The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Post Yo Pet Thread...

Rate this topic

nux4lyfe

lt5jW1W.gif

Made my night and now I am smiling ear to ear. How old is she?

She's 6 now, still acts like a puppy though, haha.

BTW, I have that same reaction when I see her too =)

OMG your cat. His/her expression in the 2nd photo is so great!

Edited by ckamo

I honestly hate it when people dress animals up and traumatize them in the process. They hate it, especially cats....why would you do something they hate? Sorry AJ, but you're an animal lover I know, but it's dumb. Dress yourself up - sure. But the animal is just that and I see it serving no purpose whatsoever except to wreck their day.

Sure, if it's a sweater or something that keeps their body warm....but hats? With chin straps? That's too much.

Aj dresses her cat up for a one-off thing for halloween. i really wouldn't put too much stock in to it, before you people start hounder her for animal abuse, like, seriously

if you want to complain about people treating their animals as accessories, me and AJ were at the tim hortons on the granville strip, getting the cold stone ice cream gimmick in the summer, back in late june i believe, and there was this woman, with her daughter, who looked about 12, decked out in TNA gear, thongs out and everything, and their little dog with a pink sweater with its fur dyed pink in streaks, but your biggest concern here is a cat wearing a hat?

Edited by Discord

Deb I don't see how it's any different then dressing a dog up. Sure the kitties may not be overly impressed but they are usually good sports and let you snap a few pictures. Afterwards Gilly (anyways) will and sit/lay with me and is just fine. Her day isn't ruined at all. It's something she has been doing since she was a kitten, she gets just annoyed at being brushed then wearing a costume.

I purposely bought the pirate hat a size to big so the kitties aren't in any real danger.

Thanks for your concern though I know your heart is in the right place.

I should report you for animal abuse.

Yes, because putting a CAT halloween accessory on my furbaby for 5 mins while I snap a few photos is the same as someone beating or neglecting their animal. I am sure the SPCA will hull me away in handcuffs and forbid me from ever having another kitty again when they find out.

Gilly is more 'traumatized' when I scoop her up out of her favorite chair and give her a cuddle then she is when she is dressed up for halloween for a mere 5 mins once a year so you can stop with the 'abuse' crap.

Edited by AppleJack

For what it's worth, I made my cat wear sweaters so that she wouldn't lick her surgery incision after she got spayed. She refused to move with a cone on, and sweater helped her be a little more functional

Anyway, this was a very positive thread and we all need to realize that extreme circumstances aside, being a pet owner is kind of like being a parent. No one wants to be told there's only one way to do it right and that they are wrong.

• Upvote 1

Abuse.

You know what this was a positive fun thread till you had to bring your negativity and hate onto here and target me like you usually do. if you have a legit problem with me then pm me and we can handle it like mature adults if not then I don't see any need for any further comments from you in regards to this issue or any other issue.

Like Framing dragon said all pet parents view the way the raise their furbabies differently personally I don't see how I am doing anything wrong. My cat is not abused, she is well taken care of and loved.

Edited by AppleJack

I agree with Luci and AJ, nobody wants to be told they're doing it wrong. I put a rain jacket on my dog all the time because she is a princess and hates being rained on. As long as pets aren't uncomfortable I don't see why people can't put a costume on their pet for a few minutes.

One thing I just really don't like is when people carry dogs in purses. I'm not an expert, but I've never seen a dog look happy to be in a purse. I've also heard that it can be bad for their joints...not sure if that's proven or not...

For what it's worth, I made my cat wear sweaters so that she wouldn't lick her surgery incision after she got spayed. She refused to move with a cone on, and sweater helped her be a little more functional

Anyway, this was a very positive thread and we all need to realize that extreme circumstances aside, being a pet owner is kind of like being a parent. No one wants to be told there's only one way to do it right and that they are wrong.

With that, people are able to express opinions - positive or not. You should be one of the first people to accept that.

I work in animal rescue and some of the same people who think animals are "cute" and a novelty or accessory item also dump them for people like me to have to contend with if they get boring or difficult to handle (not directed at you AJ...you know how I feel). So yes, it's a concern if people do something "to" an animal that makes the animal uncomfortable...they have no voice or options to stop it. And really, why? What's the point, other than to grab a laugh at some animal's expense? Which is where I come in. :) I growl for them.

You had a practical reason for "dressing up" your animal. People who do it for their own entertainment despite fact that the animal detests it should be challenged on that. What's in it for anyone?

Sorry to rain on the positivity parade...I'm sure I'm not the first to bring an opinion into a thread that isn't all rainbows and lollipops.

Here's the deal: I put a Canucks towel on my rabbit while he was eating...took a pic and posted it. Then realized that, in having done so, it could have been traumatic for him as rabbits are terrified by something on their backs...as prey that get captured that way, it's not cool. So it was the first/last time. And I'm only suggesting that people should understand that their animals react as just that - animals. There are reasons they hate it, it's unnatural and threatening to them.

This is a discussion board and, with that, we allow for discussion...especially serious discussion that is based on legitimate concerns. Parents don't like to be told how to do it, but at times, it's warranted.

Yeah sorry to join Deb's "No Fun/Down with Rainbows" party but dressing up pets in "cute" outfits is an IMO weird form of dress up/dolls that's entirely for the pet owners twisted enjoyment at their little living "accessory", not the pets.

The best we can hope for is that they're indifferent to it. Far more likely you're making your pet at the very least uncomfortable and quite possibly frightened and/or stressed for your own petty amusement. It completely disregards the animals welfare and desire to be made in to your plaything in some uncomfortable outfit you shoved on them.

Is it as bad as say stuffing 5 dogs in a small kennel with limited food and no way of relieving themselves outside of said kennel? No, of course not. But you're kidding yourselves if you think it's harmless IMO.

• Upvote 1

i really find nothing wrong with dressing your pets up for a fun little novel photo for the photo album. it all depends on how well the owner treats their animals

this is my mom's cat, sneakers, hunting for a spider underneath the coat rack (my cat's seen sniffing around in there too). she thought it would be cute to have sneakers in a little sweater and snapped a picture of it. i know my mom is a good pet owner. she loves all of our cats and they're perfectly fine, getting dolled up. sneakers is a normal cat that does normal cat stuff. an hour or two with a sweater on didn't "traumatize" him in the slightest. he wasn't uncomfortable at all, and didn't even wrestle when she put the thing on

10380097_473311956134666_487229699244501

after that, she didn't put the sweater on again because there was no more use for it. just a one and done deal. they're only "traumatized" if the pet owner puts them in that position. it all comes down to how the owner treats their pet and how much trust the animal has in the owner. sneakers was attacked by a dog and the dog shattered his hip and the surgery was too much for us, to where it looked like he would have to be put down, but my dad got the money to pay for the surgery and we kept the cat. since then, that cat is so close to my mom and dad.

TL:DR: getting attacked by a pitbull was more traumatizing than having a sweater put on him

Edited by Discord

Yeah sorry to join Deb's "No Fun/Down with Rainbows" party but dressing up pets in "cute" outfits is an IMO weird form of dress up/dolls that's entirely for the pet owners twisted enjoyment at their little living "accessory", not the pets.

The best we can hope for is that they're indifferent to it. Far more likely you're making your pet at the very least uncomfortable and quite possibly frightened and/or stressed for your own petty amusement. It completely disregards the animals welfare and desire to be made in to your plaything in some uncomfortable outfit you shoved on them.

Is it as bad as say stuffing 5 dogs in a small kennel with limited food and no way of relieving themselves outside of said kennel? No, of course not. But you're kidding yourselves if you think it's harmless IMO.

I get that this is White Noise, but I think you should have just posted this to begin with...