Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Post Yo Pet Thread...

Rate this topic


nux4lyfe

Recommended Posts

It's been a funny day.  We put in an application on a dog.  We're super hopeful this will work out.

 

Then, in the mail today I got a card from a companion animal charity acknowledging the donation our vet made on behalf of our late pup Max.  We had no idea they were doing that so it was a surprise when it showed up.

 

Still.  Weird coincidence.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't believe how hard it is to find a small dog.  I check the BC SPCA website every day.  I check Kijiji every day.  I have visited more breeder websites than I can count.  The only ones that seem to be available are the ones that are outrageously priced.

 

There was one today where a dog was posted for re-homing here in Victoria.  I spotted and replied to the ad within a half hour of it being posted.  The dog was already gone.  It's such a roller coaster as I get excited every time I find what appears to be a good match only to be disappointed.

 

Not looking for sympathy, just looking to vent a little.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 4:28 PM, goalie13 said:

I can't believe how hard it is to find a small dog.  I check the BC SPCA website every day.  I check Kijiji every day.  I have visited more breeder websites than I can count.  The only ones that seem to be available are the ones that are outrageously priced.

 

There was one today where a dog was posted for re-homing here in Victoria.  I spotted and replied to the ad within a half hour of it being posted.  The dog was already gone.  It's such a roller coaster as I get excited every time I find what appears to be a good match only to be disappointed.

 

Not looking for sympathy, just looking to vent a little.

It can be crazy.  It is awesome for the animals that the shelters are often empty, but it doesn make it tough on those in your position.  Sadly, I've heard stories of "entrepreneurs" stealing pets to sell them to those desperate for the companionship.  It's terrible how low some people will stoop.

 

Good luck in your searches!!

 

Also, fingers crossed that all these pets that have found homes in the age of Covid aren't discarded when the virus is in the past.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kragar said:

It can be crazy.  It is awesome for the animals that the shelters are often empty, but it doesn make it tough on those in your position.  Sadly, I've heard stories of "entrepreneurs" stealing pets to sell them to those desperate for the companionship.  It's terrible how low some people will stoop.

 

Good luck in your searches!!

 

Also, fingers crossed that all these pets that have found homes in the age of Covid aren't discarded when the virus is in the past.

Thanks.

 

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of re-homing ads in the next year or so as people change their minds.  I just have to be patient.  The right dog will come along eventually.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
On 8/7/2020 at 1:01 PM, bishopshodan said:

Update on little Dee.

 

18 days ago she was sent home from the vets with the expectation that she will be passing. He had offered to put her down that morning. For two days she lay on mum's floor mostly sleeping and looked to be checking out. Her belly was distended, her gums and tongue were white. She was not looking good. I starting to think, is it in bad form to dig a grave before she died? I didn't want to do it while being all upset. I decided to wait anyway.

 

She's still with us and has rebounded quite a bit.

 

CBD.

 

On the third day of having her home waiting for her to die, I googled 'auto immune disorders, CBD and dogs' . I read lots of promising results and info so off I was to pick some up.

 

The first night of having some, about 6 hrs later she crawled into my mum's arms which she hadn't done for a while. It's now over a couple weeks later and although she still is tired a lot, she is eating, drinking etc... all functions normal and her gums, belly and tongue are back to normal.

 

We just had an at home visit from a research vet from VIU. He took blood and will try to give us some help. We're not out of the woods yet but what a turn around. Even if we only have her for a little longer, we are so happy because she isn't in pain. She wags, barks and gives cuddles.

 

Note: vets are not allowed to talk about CBD. They cannot suggest it. 

Is this true? I brought it up with my vet as my dog has extremely high separation anxiety. My vet even helped me figure out the dose. 

 

igLCiFw.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Is this true? I brought it up with my vet as my dog has extremely high separation anxiety. My vet even helped me figure out the dose

I have been told that by two vets. However, I think some are starting to buck the trend and talk about it anyway. Had one tell me, outside his office...keep using it. You have a good vet it seems. 

Link to comment
32 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I have been told that by two vets. However, I think some are starting to buck the trend and talk about it anyway. Had one tell me, outside his office...keep using it. You have a good vet it seems. 

Absolutely love her. Don't want to mention them by name on here in case what she did was not 'legal', but if anyone has questions about CBD doses for their dog I'm happy to pass along the details that they gave me via PM. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Absolutely love her. Don't want to mention them by name on here in case what she did was not 'legal', but if anyone has questions about CBD doses for their dog I'm happy to pass along the details that they gave me via PM. 

How's the CBD working for your dogs anxiety?  

We once had some success with a product for our girl when we first got her called Zylkene. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

How's the CBD working for your dogs anxiety?  

We once had some success with a product for our girl when we first got her called Zylkene. 

That's exactly what we started with. But it didn't help. The CBD doesn't work well enough. He is calmer when we are around, but it doesn't help him when we leave. Due to Covid, I work almost exclusively from home and can take my dog to my office when I want, so we haven't run into too many problems. Thunder shirt, Zykelene, a pharamone product... Furbo... none of those things have been all that helpful, but CBD was at least somewhat useful.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

That's exactly what we started with. But it didn't help. The CBD doesn't work well enough. He is calmer when we are around, but it doesn't help him when we leave. Due to Covid, I work almost exclusively from home and can take my dog to my office when I want, so we haven't run into too many problems. Thunder shirt, Zykelene, a pharamone product... Furbo... none of those things have been all that helpful, but CBD was at least somewhat useful.

We are having as bit of a separation relapse too. 

Because of Covid. Have been home so much that Tess is used to us being around more. She's taken to sitting on my kitchen table when we're out!. We haven't seen her do it, but the scratches and knocked over chairs show the proof. She also is like a maniac when we come home.

I'm trying to leave her at least once a day for short times and work my way up, and trying not to make a big deal when I come or go. I don't give her any affection until she calms down. 

Good luck. 

Link to comment
14 hours ago, Down by the River said:

That's exactly what we started with. But it didn't help. The CBD doesn't work well enough. He is calmer when we are around, but it doesn't help him when we leave. Due to Covid, I work almost exclusively from home and can take my dog to my office when I want, so we haven't run into too many problems. Thunder shirt, Zykelene, a pharamone product... Furbo... none of those things have been all that helpful, but CBD was at least somewhat useful.

Have you tried Composure?  We've had good success giving it to both our current and previous dog and our cat.  It's not a drug, so there are less concerns with how often you give it to your critter.  Helped a lot with fireworks and loud noises, including times when we get a lot of people outside our house (during non-covid times, the neighborhood gets swamped with 4th of July parade-goers).  It tastes like a normal meaty treat, so we've never seen our pets turn it down.

 

FYI, we have used CBD at times too, for the dog.

 

Good luck, in any case!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...