The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why did Malkin’s dad say Dallas made his son an offer?

Because if it was done without Pittsburgh’s knowledge, that’s tampering. Russian media is reporting that Evgeni Malkin's dad says that the Dallas Stars offered Evgeni a bigger contract than the Pens, but he chose to stay. Take that with a grain of salt as Malkin still had a year on his contract when he was re-signed:

Questions are being asked after Evgeni Malkin‘s father, Vladimir, spoke with Russian newspaper Sovetsky Sport and claimed that the Dallas Stars offered his son an even bigger contract than the eight-year, $76-million extension he signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins in June.

Per Pensburgh, here’s a translation of that part of the interview:

Q: So could Malkin have gone to a different team?

A: You know, Dallas was offering my son an even bigger contract than Pittsburgh, and Zhenya (Russian nickname for Evgeni) responded “No, I don’t want to go there.” They signed Sergei Gonchar. His best friend is playing there. Why not take it?

Zhenya said “If at some point things don’t work out with the Penguins and I have to leave, I’d rather go to the New York Rangers or Montreal Canadiens. There are several clubs. But I’m not rushing to Dallas. And I wouldn’t like the change of moving my house and going somewhere else. I got used to Pittsburgh, the city and the team.”

My son’s nature is such that he doesn’t like to hop from place to place. As a father, I think, if the player – a big star, often spends his entire career with the same NHL team. Same as Datsyuk, Crosby, Ovechkin. There are many examples. And if you start running then you can’t stop. What good is that?

Now, obviously, if the Stars offered Malkin a contract without the Penguins’ knowledge, that was tampering, since he was still under contract to Pittsburgh. What’s also possible (and we’d have to think more likely) is that the offer was made as part of a trade discussion between the two teams.

For now, let’s just wait and see if anyone clarifies the situation.

http://prohockeytalk...s-son-an-offer/

Now, obviously, if the Stars offered Malkin a contract without the Penguins’ knowledge, that was tampering, since he was still under contract to Pittsburgh. What’s also possible (and we’d have to think more likely) is that the offer was made as part of a trade discussion between the two teams.

Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill had this to say:

"We have seen the reports that have surfaced out of Russia claiming that we have tampered and they are completely untrue. The Dallas Stars organization respects and adheres to all rules and regulations set forth by the National Hockey League and any report that claims otherwise is false."

Dallas probably inquired. And Malkin was informed and maybe even asked, and therefore his dad miscommunicated it...that's all..

happens every day. gm's wouldn't be doing their jobs otherwise.

everyone saw pitts was in a bind, with crosby signed to the big contract, fleury, and the issues with letang, there were talks that either gino or letang or fleury would move because they need money to fill out their team properly!

so dallas gm phones shero and says, hey if you move malkin or consider it, lets talk, here's what we're thinking.

shero then thinks, asks gino, will you extend here and for how much, bc dallas has asked about you, we want you here but if we can't afford what you're asking in our cap model would you consider the move

talks to dad, dad thinks dallas offered him something ...done

Archived