The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Top Prospects were out to Impress At WJ Summer Camp

shinkaruk98

Oh Sam, I am not entirely against him at all in fact take away the snide remark and his comment is very valid.

There's very little if any chance anyone not named Gaunce, Jensen or Schroeder gets a chance on the big squad at the forward position. Putting Horvat/Shinkaruk in this season would damage them in such a competitive division with little if any available spots open.

Almost universally our prospects will be slowly brought in 1 or 2 at a time barring call ups during the season. It just makes more sense to do it this way let them grow dominate their junior careers and then move on up.

Looking at that lineup i would say Shinkaruk would never work with the Sedins as he has to much speed and need a guy like Kassian with size and can get to the net and his playmaking skills would be much better suited for a shooter like Kesler

Oh Sam, I am not entirely against him at all in fact take away the snide remark and his comment is very valid.

There's very little if any chance anyone not named Gaunce, Jensen or Schroeder gets a chance on the big squad at the forward position. Putting Horvat/Shinkaruk in this season would damage them in such a competitive division with little if any available spots open.

Almost universally our prospects will be slowly brought in 1 or 2 at a time barring call ups during the season. It just makes more sense to do it this way let them grow dominate their junior careers and then move on up.

But we lost players like Derek Roy, cough Ballard and even depth players like Lapierre. Key point; we certainly did not replace them with anyone dynamic, or whom we could consider a chance to improve our standing as a team that got swept in the first round.

Basically every line was either misplayed or very damaged last year...

1st line and PP: Daniel will be better. Concussions are way more long-term than given credit for.

2nd line: More developed Kass, uninjured Booth and Kesler. That's a huge uptick in offense over Schroeder and Mayray.

3rd line: Brad Richardson is a quality 3C. He is a huge improvement over Lappy and Schroeder (at least in a defensive, faceoff winning role with some offensive upside ala Manny). Plus our 3rd liners handed a lot of good 2nd lines their asses last year, Hansen especially.

4th line: If Sestito even gets average 4th liner minutes, he'll be doubling his TOI over last year. A good thing when it comes our best 4th liner. This will shift play out of our defensive zone. The question is who will be 4th line centre. Faceoff skill is huge but size will help drive the play as well. Could be Lain, could be Gaunce, who knows? We'll just have to see.

Oh and Santorelli, Ferreiro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ebbett :P

Basically every line was either misplayed or very damaged last year...

1st line and PP: Daniel will be better. Concussions are way more long-term than given credit for.

2nd line: More developed Kass, uninjured Booth and Kesler. That's a huge uptick in offense over Schroeder and Mayray.

3rd line: Brad Richardson is a quality 3C. He is a huge improvement over Lappy and Schroeder (at least in a defensive, faceoff winning role with some offensive upside ala Manny). Plus our 3rd liners handed a lot of good 2nd lines their asses last year, Hansen especially.

4th line: If Sestito even gets average 4th liner minutes, he'll be doubling his TOI over last year. A good thing when it comes our best 4th liner. This will shift play out of our defensive zone. The question is who will be 4th line centre. Faceoff skill is huge but size will help drive the play as well. Could be Lain, could be Gaunce, who knows? We'll just have to see.

Oh and Santorelli, Ferreiro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ebbett :P

I like your optimism.

It would be my opinion that your drawing some conclusions that are not there to be drawn.

Sedin played 47 of 48 games and carried no concussion issues I am aware of? Not that this is a conclusion, possibly memory shift from the end of 2011/12?

Hansen did play great, easily the best player on the team relative to expectations! But I did not watch the third line hand too many teams their asses? They played effectively with Schroeder at pivot but were not a threat to score. Higgins finished with 15 points, Roy 6, Ebett 6 and Schroeder 7. Hansen was the lone bright spot and he also got some minutes on the 2knd line, even a few on the first. Well, at least they kept their own bum clean?

Gotta grant that our 2knd line of Kesler, Booth and Kassian should do better!

Sestito? :sadno:

I suppose the stats page says he kept his bum clean too? But he played 192 minutes all year, barely three full games equivalent which is hardly a sample size where you can draw conclusions. Did you watch the games? Did he fore-check? Work hard on the boards? Hit? Scour the passing lanes stealing pucks and disrupting plays? Block shots? You have to watch the games and watch whether he is doing anything which impacts a play. Coaching includes understanding why players achieve statistics and Sestito is a classic case of a player never really being on the ice for anything important.

I hope your right on Richardson? Time will tell if he's better than Lappy. By all reports he does what we want of a 4th liner which is first and foremost all those things I did not see Sestito doing? We lose a little size, gain some speed and hopefully some skills and work rate. I personally believe we'll see one of our 1st round draft picks, I'm tipping Schroeder, as our 3C and Richardson our 4 C.

Kesler and Shinkaruk would absolutely KILL defense with their speed. Burrows would be all backdoor sneaky while they open the ice up and draw defenders to them. I could see that being a sick line. Probably not this year though.

The reason Gaunce probably won't be on the team is because he will probably be playing on the Canucks and therefore not eligible. The Canucks will have at least two and probably three young forwards on the team next year. Schroeder will get a shot and I think Gaunce will also make the team. The 3rd guy could be Lain, Jensen, or Horvat. I think Shinkaruk will almost certainly be back in junior next year and probably Horvat will too, meaning they will probably be on Canada's junior team.

No, people said he wasn't good enough for the World Juniors and that he doesn't have a chance to even make the Nucks. I do however think that if he does make the team( I'm optimistic he will) and gets chosen for the Juniors I think the management will allow them to do the competition as long as we can handle without them.

When the team is fully healthy:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian(Kassian needs to work well with them)

Booth-Kesler-Schroeder(Booth and Kes balance Schroeders migetness)

Burrows-Gaunce-Hansen(Burrows and Hansen to help out Gaunce, opposite of what AV would do)

Higgins-Richardson-Wiese(This would be one of the best 4th lines we've had in a long time, wish we kept Lappy too.)

The X-factors are the young players, we need them to be able to step up.

Archived