The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Top Prospects were out to Impress At WJ Summer Camp

shinkaruk98

I heard sutter on the team radio. he said gaunce would be at best a 3rd liner and maybe a 4th in the nhl. said he was a ways away from being a pro. did not sound too high on hunter either. was more positive o bo. not sure if that is Calgary bias or not but not great reviews

I heard sutter on the team radio. he said gaunce would be at best a 3rd liner and maybe a 4th in the nhl. said he was a ways away from being a pro. did not sound too high on hunter either. was more positive o bo. not sure if that is Calgary bias or not but not great reviews

It's reality cause Sutter said so?

He's likely right about Gaunce being a 3rd or 4th liner, but that doesn't mean he can't exceed expectations. Lots of players, including guys like Kesler and O'Reilley, were billed as nothing more than third and fourth liners.

Trying to project a players career path at age 19, whether good or bad, is pretty pointless.

Ya I guess he is only the coach of the canadian Jr team, didn't really get a close look.

And yes, they could exceed expectations but the key word is expectation.

They are not expected to exceed expectations.

And we are talking about Now, people on CDC have Gaunce chiseled into the 3C even 2C with Kes on the wing LOL.

I really liked the performances of all three players Their are gems who are waiting for a chance to play this coming season and I think they will Horvat will be one of the interesting players to watch this year I don't know whether he'll be in juniors or the minors but I just jk know he'll make his NHL debut this season Gaunce and Jensen will get their chances this season for sure If they perform really good they'll be sticking around in our Canucks lineup for a long time in which I think they will

Was Sutter talking about this year or ever? If he's talking about this year I'd say that's a fair assessment (if he makes the team as a fourth liner that's not that bad) but if he's talking career that's kind of premature to be making those kind of statements. He's 19 years old. Lets be honest though if all he ever becomes is a solid 3rd line center is there anything wrong with that?

Was Sutter talking about this year or ever? If he's talking about this year I'd say that's a fair assessment (if he makes the team as a fourth liner that's not that bad) but if he's talking career that's kind of premature to be making those kind of statements. He's 19 years old. Lets be honest though if all he ever becomes is a solid 3rd line center is there anything wrong with that?

He was talking about what he could see him turning out to be as a NHLer. That said if you listened to the clip it, he said many positive things but people only seemed to hear not ready yet, probably a couple years and that he projects to be a 3rd/4th line guy in the NHL. He also said that he was a good skater for his size, plays the power forward role and is very defensively aware. He also said that Horvat and Shinkaruk need to work on things as well. This is a Sutter remember, they don't gush over guys which might even be calculated so that fanbases and players don't get unrealistic expectations. Sutter actually did preface his opinions with something along the lines of, "these kids are only 18 and sometimes everyone forgets that ".

I really liked the performances of all three players Their are gems who are waiting for a chance to play this coming season and I think they will Horvat will be one of the interesting players to watch this year I don't know whether he'll be in juniors or the minors but I just jk know he'll make his NHL debut this season Gaunce and Jensen will get their chances this season for sure If they perform really good they'll be sticking around in our Canucks lineup for a long time in which I think they will

It would be nice to have a Canuck prospect to cheer for on team Canada for once.

And worst comes to worst, if Horvat and/or Shinkaruk don't make it this year, they will have an amazing shot to make the team next year.

Right. So you're going to put Booth and Higgins on the fourth line while completely ignoring the fact that we RESIGNED Sestito, Schroeder and Weise to 1 way contracts, not to mention that you think Gaunce, Horvat, AND Shinkaruk are all going to make the team this year? You must be smoking some really strong stuff because you're out of your damn mind man.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Kesler Jensen

Higgins Schroeder/Gaunce Hansen

Sestito Richardson Weise

Booth = injured otherwise he would be playing instead of Jensen

If injuries were to happen during the season to Schroeder (which probably will) then Gaunce will take his spot in the lineup. Other then that this is what the lineup is going to be, although Booth hasn't even started to skate yet, JENSEN is the clear choice to fill that hole. He's a power forward (Like Booth), has a big body (6'3 203lbs), has had 2 more years of development then Horvat and Shinkaruk, played a season in the Swedish Elite League (50GP, 17G 6A) and PLAYS RIGHT WING, why convert Horvat to playing wing when we WANT him to remain as a center? You do realize Horvat, Gaunce, and Schroeder are going to be our future centers, right? So why screw up the development of the guy we traded Cory Schneider for? If by some wierd scenario that another winger gets hurt, then I'd throw in Sweatt simply because he has played 3 seasons in the AHL and you have to earn your spot on this team.

That's a huge positive in itself, as skating has been one of the criticism of Gaunce. It sounds to me that it is likely that he will reach his potential of being a very good 3rd line C, maybe in a year or two. I don't know if i would like to see him play on the 4th line this year. I think he is much better off having the top minutes and the opportunities to improve on his weaknesses at the junior level.

I don't recall anyone commenting that Gaunce had 'power forward' potential. I don't see why anyone wouldn't be excited about an up and coming power forward on the 3rd line, who can play a solid defensive game and score crucial goals.

Right. So you're going to put Booth and Higgins on the fourth line while completely ignoring the fact that we RESIGNED Sestito, Schroeder and Weise to 1 way contracts, not to mention that you think Gaunce, Horvat, AND Shinkaruk are all going to make the team this year? You must be smoking some really strong stuff because you're out of your damn mind man.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Kesler Jensen

Higgins Schroeder/Gaunce Hansen

Sestito Richardson Weise

Booth = injured otherwise he would be playing instead of Jensen

If injuries were to happen during the season to Schroeder (which probably will) then Gaunce will take his spot in the lineup. Other then that this is what the lineup is going to be, although Booth hasn't even started to skate yet, JENSEN is the clear choice to fill that hole. He's a power forward (Like Booth), has a big body (6'3 203lbs), has had 2 more years of development then Horvat and Shinkaruk, played a season in the Swedish Elite League (50GP, 17G 6A) and PLAYS RIGHT WING, why convert Horvat to playing wing when we WANT him to remain as a center? You do realize Horvat, Gaunce, and Schroeder are going to be our future centers, right? So why screw up the development of the guy we traded Cory Schneider for? If by some wierd scenario that another winger gets hurt, then I'd throw in Sweatt simply because he has played 3 seasons in the AHL and you have to earn your spot on this team.

That's a huge positive in itself, as skating has been one of the criticism of Gaunce. It sounds to me that it is likely that he will reach his potential of being a very good 3rd line C, maybe in a year or two. I don't know if i would like to see him play on the 4th line this year. I think he is much better off having the top minutes and the opportunities to improve on his weaknesses at the junior level.

I don't recall anyone commenting that Gaunce had 'power forward' potential. I don't see why anyone wouldn't be excited about an up and coming power forward on the 3rd line, who can play a solid defensive game and score crucial goals.

Archived