The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Living with friends.. experiences?

MillerGenuineDraft

Just be mentally prepare that you could lose them whenever you live with your friends. Sometimes even the neatest person have strange habits, and sooner or later you will clash with them.

I tried and a lot of my friends tried... Doesn't alway end up pretty.

I've lived with friends before. Out of the 4 I have lived with im only in contact with 2 anymore. putting anything with bills/money involved with friends is rarely a good idea. Plus their habits at home could drive you insane and cause you to drift apart. I won't live with friends any more for those reasons.

Pff.. Living with friends is fun. You realize this more when you're married.

You'll clash from time to time, and things will sometimes be dirty... But overall it's usually a good experience that you will someday look back on with fond memories.

Unless you're living with an addict. That's not very fun.

Advice will be wildly inaccurate here as friends can't all be lumped into one category. In other words there is a very big difference in living with a guy or a girl or someone who is a hipster, a club kid, a stoner, etc. Each person has there own levels of tolerance, and self control, as well as priorities.

In other words you can provide the best advice since you know yourself and your friends. Consider things like how clean they keep there current (goes both ways if they are neat and you are messy they may take issue with you), how they manage money, if they are quick to defuse drama or do they add to it etc. Then ask yourself if anything negative will be a problem for you.

It can be awesome or a nightmare really. I have known people who have ended up in violent fist fights and even planted drugs on the other roomies and called the cops just to get out of a bad living situation. But I also known groups as big as 4 who have gotten along great and never had a disagreement even reach shouting levels.

Personally I value my privacy though so I prefer to live alone in a smaller place than share a larger one.

Gee, thanks guys..

We all get along very well, and all come from really good families. We all lived on campus together, in the same dormitory building, and know how clean each person is.

Edit: I guess I should clarify, since a user above made a good point.

We're not some friends who all work full time jobs in a warehouse, scrounging for cash, toking the bong all day. We're responsible guys, who are full time university students, with great part time gigs.

I lived with a good friend for roughly six months and in that time I noticed how much of a slob he was, how lazy he was by not doing a thing around the house. He lost his job so I ended up paying all the bills and rent. I ended up moving out and lost my damage deposit. So be very careful before moving in with your friends. It may sound like a good idea but it usually isn't.

100% get a log book of some kind and keep track of who paid for what for stuff everyone uses. I lived with 2 buddies and we had a joint account that we all deposited the same amount of money into on the same days, and then used that for things like communal food, beer, cleaning products, light bulbs/maintenance stuff, furniture, and some join activities or gas or stuff we're all doing together. Sometimes crap got put on our own cards, but regardless it was all recorded in the book - who paid for it and what card/who's cash was used.

As long as you keep the money thing low key and take a deep breath and not stress about the nickels and dimes, your relationships wont suffer as a result

Also, cleaning. Typically one person will have a higher threshold for gross stuff in the kitchen/bathroom, and one person will never be satisfied with how clean/neat everything is. The best thing to do is have one day a week where everyone cleans for the same amount of time and trade off different roles. Nobody stops until all the jobs are done, so if the bathroom just takes 20 mins but the kitchen still isn't done, you can help finish the kitchen. That way its totally fair and its also not nearly as bad when everyone's doing it rather than one person who ends up doing all the work for everyone.

cleaning and money are literally the two biggest problems. If you wanna be a slob, keep it in your room. The main area shouldn't have any of your crap lying around.

I have a tight knit group of 5 friends . We have all known each other since we were kids. I lived with every single one of them. Its true that sometimes you get into arguments or you lend them money or they lend you money or whatnot. The trick is to realize that in the long run you will still be good friends.

I enjoyed it. Saved me a pile of cash.

As some have said already, it really depends on the personalities involved. Some of my friends I lived with in the past were a disaster. Not that we don't still keep in touch, but it just sucked living with them. If you have 1 or 2 people who don't pick up after themselves, clean the bathroom, clean the kitchen, etc, it can really suck.

Also, there are times when you just want to be by yourself. Some roommates are ok with this, others are not. I can only think of my best friend where living together worked out perfectly. We liked spending time with each other; but if we ever wanted to be by oursevles, which happened quite a bit, it never even entered our head that the other would have a problem with this. We also agreed to keep the place clean, so as not to create any problems, with a cleaning schedule. Easy.

Just be mentally prepare that you could lose them whenever you live with your friends. Sometimes even the neatest person have strange habits, and sooner or later you will clash with them.

I tried and a lot of my friends tried... Doesn't alway end up pretty.

Archived