The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

thinking of setting up a hockey pool with guys at work, how can i do this?

CanuckGAME

Hey all!

I'm thinking of setting up a hockey pool with the guys at my work, there is potentially 8-10 guys who could get involved.

Now the problem is I have never setup something like this, and I don't want it too be too much work on my part, I'm willing to set it up, collect the money, and get the prizes, and then I don't want to do much maintenance the rest of the season until the end.

Has anyone successfully done something like this? How did you do it, what is the easiest way?

Anyone who can help me through this would be much appreciated!

I'd suggest Yahoo. Simply set a deadline for paying, and if they don't, drop them from the list. (Cant believe how hard it is to get people to pay up, even $5) because if you don't, those people never will pay when they start to realize their team sucks.

Edit: Set a date before the draft!!!!!! Avoid all the nonsense.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I haven't done a yahoo pool in probably 3 seasons, one thing I didn't like about yahoo was you constantly have to log in and manover your lineup from the bench on off days and such, I wasn't fond of that much,

Is there a site where you can have a live draft, trade players, its free to signup, and you don't have to toy with your lineup all the time? As in, when you pick the players they are all active on your team at all times?

I do like Yahoo's Format, its very easy and I loved the live draft, I just don't like the maintenance, you usually get lazy guys who stop updating the lineup and drop out, ill be playing with a bunch of older guys so I'm sure they would appreciate a pool of low maintenance, where I can print off the weekly results and post it on the board and such.

Been running a hockey pool for the last 5 years in a style just like the OP wants to do one. We have a live draft to pick players in person during lunch, points are awarded same as the NHL (1pt for a goal, 1 for an assist) and nothing more complex than that. We usually pick about 6 or 7 forwards and 4 or 5 Dmen depending on the number of people in the pool. To account for injuries or just really bad picks the bottom scoring player is excluded from everyones total.

use to use Officepools to keep score but it costs $ so went to the free site, www.pickuphockey.com. Used it for the past 2 years and have no complaints. You can login at any time to check how your team is doing and get optional email updates. Despite having Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares and Weber all my team I still only finished second last season, this year hopefully will be my year!!!

I haven't done a yahoo pool in probably 3 seasons, one thing I didn't like about yahoo was you constantly have to log in and manover your lineup from the bench on off days and such, I wasn't fond of that much,

Is there a site where you can have a live draft, trade players, its free to signup, and you don't have to toy with your lineup all the time? As in, when you pick the players they are all active on your team at all times?

I do like Yahoo's Format, its very easy and I loved the live draft, I just don't like the maintenance, you usually get lazy guys who stop updating the lineup and drop out, ill be playing with a bunch of older guys so I'm sure they would appreciate a pool of low maintenance, where I can print off the weekly results and post it on the board and such.

I've always used officepools as well. I'd always take the entry fee out of the prize money, so it would be no cost to me. We'd usually go $20 a head, so if there were 10 players, the prize breakdown would be $160 for the winner, $20 for 2nd (entry fee back) and $20 to pay for the pool...

I've always used officepools as well. I'd always take the entry fee out of the prize money, so it would be no cost to me. We'd usually go $20 a head, so if there were 10 players, the prize breakdown would be $160 for the winner, $20 for 2nd (entry fee back) and $20 to pay for the pool...

Man I hate hockey pools with trades. There's always numbskulls that make terrible trades and one douchbag to take advantage of it. If I wanted to play in a world where people want to enact terrible hockey trades I would hang out in the proposals and armchair GMing forum more often. Actually, that forum should be warning enough about the danger of actually having other people make trades you have to live with, and the people that post there will have more hockey knowlege than the people in your office!

Archived