The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Male hairloss thread

key2thecup

There are only 2 treatments that have been approved, in Canada, and shown to actually work for hair loss:

1) Finasteride/Propecia (different names for the same drug): This drug works by blocking the production of DHT. Normally a certain percentage of Testorone is converted into a more powerful androgen DHT. No one knows the exact mechanism of hair loss, but DHT plays a major role somewhere. This drug alters your hormone profile, so side affects come along with it. It will for instance, inhihibit the development of secondary sexualy characteristics, like chest hair. It has been known to cause impotence.

2) Rogaine/Minoxodil: This drug is applied locally to the scalp. No one really knows how it works, but this drug is also used to open up potassium channels. This drug's side effects include rapid heart beat. Theoretically, this should produce less side effects as it acts locally, but there will always be some systematic absorption.

Rogaine doesn't actually stop the mechanism for baldness (hormones) so it's not as effective, generally, and doesn't produce long term effects. When you stop using it, your hair will fall out rapidly. Some people use other hormone altering drugs, but those have not been approved.

Either way, talk to a doctor about these drugs before use, preferably a dermatologist.

OP, how old are you?

Mid 20's...

I still have a full (though the hairline is starting to creep a touch) head of hair. Been going grey since my mid 20's though. I say grow old gracefully and confidently. It's far more attractive than as Hodor put it "desperately trying to hold on to the few strands of hair left"

Go with the short hair cut and embrace the changing you.

​The alternative is dumping a toxic stew of chemicals on your body all to desperately stop/slow down a natural process. If anything you should find out what healthy diet and lifestyle changes might help you out IMO.

Mid 20's...

Just read your edit...tough call. Everyone wants hair until their mid-50s, but that's certainly not in the cards for most of us.

Also, you might not be going bald at all yet. It's pretty common for men to lose some hair around their temples and hair line during their mid to late 20s, and then hair loss will stop for a while.

I'd recommend going to a doctor. It's going to have to be a personal decision on whether you go on drugs or not though. Are the risks worth the benefits.

And no, the bald head does not work for everyone. Some people look like Vin Diesel, others look like lukemia patients.

I still have a full (though the hairline is starting to creep a touch) head of hair. Been going grey since my mid 20's though. I say grow old gracefully and confidently. It's far more attractive than as Hodor put it "desperately trying to hold on to the few strands of hair left"

Go with the short hair cut and embrace the changing you.

​The alternative is dumping a toxic stew of chemicals on your body all to desperately stop/slow down a natural process. If anything you should find out what healthy diet and lifestyle changes might help you out IMO.

I agree with this.

Short and confident in your natural look is good.

Ask most women, they don't care as much as you think and many of them like it.

If you're in decent shape and go with it you won't have a problem.

Well if your hair is in complete ruin shaving is always better but unlike many of the other quitters in here I plan to fight it to the bitter end if it happens to me. Bald only works with some people not everyone can pull it off and it's a completely different zone in attraction and you will draw attention from a different crowd of women.

I don't have advice since I haven't explored it yet but if you choose not to shave it you won't be alone xD

Well if your hair is in complete ruin shaving is always better but unlike many of the other quitters in here I plan to fight it to the bitter end if it happens to me. Bald only works with some people not everyone can pull it off and it's a completely different zone in attraction and you will draw attention from a different crowd of women.

I don't have advice since I haven't explored it yet but if you choose not to shave it you won't be alone xD

Still better than comb overs or hairs on the side with a bald top.

Honestly it should always be your personality and character that attract other people. Don't get too caught up with ur appearances

O did a mention a cure should be here in a couple years?

my brother has had male pattern baldness/thinning hair since his early 20s. he's started taking rogaine and it has stopped thinning, for the most part. I haven't noticed much in the way of growback though.

Lucky for me, my hair is as thick and lush as ever, but i'm getting grey hairs now, so i guess i'll be going grey.

How old are you?

I found my first grey pubic hair the other day. It was pretty disturbing.

It was even more disturbing for the other people at the Safeway checkout though. :lol:

/ I like my grey hairs on my temples. I've earned every single one and women seem to dig them. We men are so much more fortunate when it comes aging, assuming you do it gracefully.

Archived