The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Delays HGH Testing Until '14/15 Season

Drouin

Let me summarize: Its not possible to put 20lbs of muscle in 9 months, but it is possible to put on 6.7lbs in 9 months with PEDs. By working out for 2-3 more months, you can then put on 20lbs(excluding fat gain, which is a remarkable 13.3lbs in 2-3 months(including water). But thats only if he was a NOOB, but he's not a NOOB... and because he knew what he was doing he couldn't have gotten 20lbs with PEDs but while staying clean.

Insightful.

What benefit exactly does hgh have? Can't see alot of nhlers wanting to get super bulky, hockey is all about functional strength and movements not straight up and down meathead Braun like some positions in football or the 1 power movement needed to hit a hr

Would not be surprised if the entire Kings and Bruin teams were on something during their Cup runs. They looked possessed out there at times, and not just one or two players but the entire team.

Either drugs or very very good coaching.

What benefit exactly does hgh have? Can't see alot of nhlers wanting to get super bulky, hockey is all about functional strength and movements not straight up and down meathead Braun like some positions in football or the 1 power movement needed to hit a hr

I don't really see what real benefit HGH would give a hockey player. Hockey requires cardio and balance moreso than brute strength.

Decongestants on the other hand....anything that can help get more oxygen into the bloodstream to 'feed' what muscle they do have while playing, now that can give a player an edge.

Reading comprehension fail.

Lappy could have gained ~7lbs of muscle in 9 months and stayed clean. That would have been awesome progress.  What he could no do, however, would be gain 20lbs of pure MUSCLE in 9 months without PEDs.  Hell even on PEDs, 20lbs of MUSCLE gain, not just weight gain, in 9 months would be seriously awesome progress.  

In addition, "knowing what you're doing" doesn't mean he go beyond the limits of what his body would allow.  As ones 'training age' (time spent training) increases, gains slow down and it doesn't matter if you "know what you're doing," the body will only gain muscle mass so fast without using an AAS compound.  Lappy by virtue of his age (28) and the fact that he is a professional athlete has a fairly high training age.  Given this, his gains would be much slower than a Gaunce, Horvat, or Shinkaruk because:  1):  Lappy is older and gains naturally come slower; 2) Lappy has a higher training age which also slows down the rate at which he could gain muscle.

Saku Koivu was my childhood idol growing up, and I refused to believe he would have used anything like that. But it's pretty obvious when a skinny little babyfaced teenager goes overseas and turns biggie in just a year while sporting a big beard and 'stache all of a sudden... The food alone over there can't be that much more nourishing, can it? :)

A friend of mine used to be one of three people in Canada who did Olympic drug testing. According to him just before the 2006 Olympics a very famous player who surprised alot of people by not making the team failed a pretest the Hockey Canada gave him. It was an in-house test so it never went public but because of that he never made the team. If you think about it he is the kind of guy you would suspect was juiced as not only was he big and bald but also had the anger issues.

Archived