The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where can I buy a laptop for a good price?

key2thecup

This is a good thread. I bought a crapty little acer one at Walmart a couple years back and it still works like new. As long as your usage is as basic as you describe something like these aren't too bad.

If I may slightly high jack, im looking for a good laptop that will handle eve online and it's upcoming updates.

When I signed up for telus I got this $550(HP Pavillion G6) laptop for free and although its not the best laptop it works great for almost everything except for PC gaming bacause that needs some really nice hardware and it doesnt come cheap. Also I dont like that the battery life only last 4-5 hours

If you are not in a rush, best to just look around for deals on the net.

http://forums.redfla...m/hot-deals-f9/ they post deals for all sorts of products.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/computers-electronics-f14/ computers section if you want to request a deal

What is your budget? I bought a basic Asus from best buy right before school last year for $350 (reg $500). It's fine for me. It came on sale around labour day.

You can even get 11" asus laptop's with touchscreens for around $400 on sale sometimes. I'm not sure how fast those are though and some don't have a dvd drive.

I do like to buy my laptops brand new though. I don't usually trust most companies (best buy, futureshop, especially the source) that sell open box products, unless it was some really big discount. If you do, you might want to check how long the warranty period is on the product. I am quite against product service plans/extended warranties.

If I see anything, I'll message you.

Generally this time of year Bestbuy and Futureshop tend to have some pretty good deals for back to school. Look around to see if you can find the laptop you want for cheaper anywhere as they will price match even from online ads, so will walmart.

The best deal you're going to get is one that is on sale so check everywhere online and see if the instore guys will match the price so you don't have to pay for shipping.

Futureshop.ca

Bestbuy.ca

Walmart.ca

tigerdirect.ca

newegg.ca

ncix.ca

visions.ca(I think they will beat any price by 15%)

staples.ca

I am sure there are more just need to do some research

thesource.ca ^^^^

londondrugs.com

i hate the source though. :P

If you dont see any decent deals right now, try waiting till around labour day/first week of september. That's when I got my laptop at a solid price last school year. :) Best buy or futureshop usually come out with one or two fairly decent deals around that time.

I would say to go into a store and just try a few of the really cheap ones out and that crossed out a big list of processors (some of those E processors). I remember going in last year and trying out some really cheap ones just to see how they were and some were so damn slow even for basic stuff.

AMD's tend to run warmer than Intels. I'm fine with the intel core i3 in mine.

A couple of years ago I was interested in a high end laptop that was retailing for close to $3000. I was going to buy it but I took a look on usedeverywhere.com and someone was selling one for $800. I decided to check it out even though I was a little nervous because the price was obscenely low lol. (I brought a big friend of mine). So I went to buddy's apartment in a sketchy neighbourhood and sure enough he had the laptop brand new in a box. Happily I gave him the $800 and still the laptop retails for more than that.

As a side note he told me his grandmother had bought it for him and that he had one already. I'm not sure I believe his story but who cares I felt like I got an amazing deal (which I think is the most important thing when buying electronics that will become obsolete so quickly)

So that may be a way to go as well.

Thanks guys, I'm about to go buy this one, fits my budget and I believe it should be more than capable of youtubing, music, word processing, and browsing the web.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-e1-series-15-6-laptop-intel-pentium-2020m-500gb-hdd-4gb-ram-windows-8-e1-531-4868/10254575.aspx?path=3013fb987d9d765dd8b50c75e1dab71den02&SearchPageIndex=1

Opinions?

Also just so you know I think it is a $1.99 cheaper at walmart not on sale LOL here

And that is the regular price at Bestbuy for the laptop... don't worry about the sale ending today.

Edit: Best Buy I wouldn't buy it from Futureshop for being douches about their advertising, see if they will give you the $70 off of that price because it should be on sale.

Also just so you know I think it is a $1.99 cheaper at walmart not on sale LOL here

And that is the regular price at Bestbuy for the laptop... don't worry about the sale ending today.

Edit: Best Buy I wouldn't buy it from Futureshop for being douches about their advertising, see if they will give you the $70 off of that price because it should be on sale.

Archived